How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-07-2009
In Bloom

Givenchy HC F/W 09/10

style.com | style.it

we were in love

14-07-2009
front row

I live about 4 miles from that Nordstrom. I am always amazed at in that they wear a head scarf and True Religion jeans with the horse shoe on the butt pockets a size too small with Bebe 5 inch heels with platforms... It is also weird seeing one with just eye slit/robe thingy (like burkaish) buying make-up at Nordstrom wearing designer shoes. Their husbands wear shorts and short sleve shirts and sandals.

14-07-2009
front row

On post 315 there is a Moslem cleric that said since Moslem ladies will wear lots of makeup he proposes them only showing one eye....

22-07-2009
fashion elite

ok sorry but the Givenchy thing is a bit over the top and a bit scary! and exaggerated!!

I think designers are looking for new inspirations, they did the geshia, did the boho, did the morrocan style...now they are targeting an untapped market...interesting
http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2009/...a_herrera.html

In Bloom

Of course they are! That Geisha-thing was getting old...
And since it is haute couture, I don't really mind it being exaggerated.

we were in love

23-07-2009
windowshopping

such an interesting topic!

i'm a muslim and i live in Kuwait where you can find all kinds of women in all sorts of clothing, with hijab or no hijab. I have many hijab wearing friends and family members, and let me tell you this, they are very stylish and modest with their whole outfit. Its always a plain hijabs with long beautiful dresses, or long stylish shirts with pants or even jeans. They have wonderful taste in fashion, very up-to-date with their clothes, and always very modest and never flashy.

But, they are many hijab wearing woman who i think they would be better off without their hijab's by the way they are presenting themselves with too tight jeans, shirts, belts, stileto's, full makeup and speaking in an extremely loud voice in public places.

And of course, you have the head to toe hijab wearing woman in designer logos.

They way I see it, women are women! In every culture you'd find designer crazy woman who love to wear flashy logos, the ones who dress in a very suggestive way, and those who are plainly modest. What do these woman have in common? They all want to look good for various reasons.

Now in a marketing perspective, I thing it is a good idea when designers do scarves so muhajaba's could wear them. It is a smart move. You find/create a need, you sell the product depending on customers taste. Now some designers not only do hijabs, they also make designer "ghutra" for men (white piece of cloth which men in the Gulf region wear with the "dishdasha").

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ida View Post
Of course they are! That Geisha-thing was getting old...
And since it is haute couture, I don't really mind it being exaggerated.
I agree, since it is Haute Couture you really do not expect it to be something basic

23-07-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aradia-Renee View Post
I live about 4 miles from that Nordstrom. I am always amazed at in that they wear a head scarf and True Religion jeans with the horse shoe on the butt pockets a size too small with Bebe 5 inch heels with platforms... It is also weird seeing one with just eye slit/robe thingy (like burkaish) buying make-up at Nordstrom wearing designer shoes. Their husbands wear shorts and short sleve shirts and sandals.
so?
i dont think being a muslim OR wearing a hijab doesnt allow you from wearing designer shoes, heels or looking beautiful, especially that most of the arabic people who opt to wear the hijab arent actually wearing because they're muslims but due to traditions. and what if the men wore shorts? nothing in islam NOR tradition says they shouldn't. and about the makeup thing, don't you think they're also women who happen to love wearing makeup maybe when not wearing the hijab?
the tight/crack revealing jeans, well that i'm with you, it's just disturbing with hijab or not

btw, if you guys are interested i have a couple of pics of custom made abayas that are sold online, they're on facebook as i recall.. but be aware some of them are severely extravagant that makes you go whao (in a bad way, of course :p )

24-07-2009
front row

^^ I would be interested, I often look at photos from Noblesse Oblige and Arabesque to see some of their more interesting pieces, especially their special orders!

26-07-2009
Not Thinking About Time

I went to Iran with my grandmother when I was 11 and we had to cover our heads but it was actually interesting to experience the culture that way we got a lot of large brimmed hats and then wore scarves under them because it was so sunny. I like how Givenchy interpreted this look

Portfolio Last FM
26-07-2009
V.I.P.

i wish men could do the veil thing there too^ tbh
i think it's elegant

26-07-2009
In Bloom

^Some men do, mostly Arabs... Saw some at the bazar the other day, I think it was pretty awesome

we were in love

26-07-2009
Spring of Córdoba

mostly bedouins do it- to protect them from the dust (or cold ) in the desert.

flickr/m.alkubaisi

Last edited by ParadEyes; 26-07-2009 at 05:45 PM.
27-07-2009
In Bloom

^Yes, and when going shopping, apparently They left the camel at home, though

we were in love

27-07-2009
V.I.P.

no ... i never saw a man wearing his "scarf" (can't remember the name right now) like that in town - the only ones were the workers and as paradeyes says, it's to protect from dust ....

i've noticed in Dubai they wear it more "desert way" and in Doha more "chic-classic" way ...

is there any community into the hijab trend (not sure if it makes sense) ....
a couple of days ago, i spotted a bunch of girls mixing their hijab with a sort of geisha style ... it was very interesting (and sort of beautiful ...) .... they wore some sort of rice powder on their face with very red lipstick .... that was pretty interesting ...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
chic, hijab