How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-01-2010
V.I.P.

Also there were younger students in navy.. and the children in very light pink.

Found this on combatsdroitshomme.blog.lemonde.fr

29-01-2010
backstage pass

thank you so much for posting that guide! i'm trying to learn, but it is hard to differentiate between the ways of wearing headscarves bc i'm not used to seeing them all the time

30-01-2010
trendsetter

I didn't know they called that particular style al-amira!

30-01-2010
front row

I was looking through some old news articles and came across these pictures of Queen Elizabeth and Turkey's First Lady Hayrunnisa Gul during the Queen's visit to Turkey. And then I started looking for more images, and the end result is a teeny tiny (because I got distracted by other things) picspam of Hayrunnisa Gul. I really dig what she has going on with her scarf in the second picture.

monstersandcritics.com

zimbio.com

milliyet.com.tr

Apologies if the pictures come out too large. The laptop and I were having some issues. *kicks computer in the face*

23-02-2010
tfs star

I've been living in the UAE for the past 4 months and have such an appreciation for really beautiful hijabs and abayas. Some of the work that goes into them is just STUNNING.

backstage pass

here's a picture of the wife of the turkish prime minister, ermine erdogan, from a visit to the white house in december:

flickr.com/whitehouse

24-02-2010
backstage pass

A bit late here but it's interesting to me to see different opinions of that Vogue Paris shoot -- most (liberal) Americans were all over it as rude and fetishistic and marginalizing and racist and thoughtless and "politcally incorrect" and "really offensive to Islamic people." Again, love checking this thread just to be reminded again and again that not everyone sees things the same way and the media I'm exposed to is just as biased and messed up as everywhere else.

25-02-2010
front row

While the shots are beautiful and some make interesting statements, parts of it are very problematic. There are two issues for me. One has to do with the portrayal and objectification of women in general (those pinup-esque lingerie shots with the covered faces are fairly disgusting and dehumanizing IMO), and the other is that of religious symbols being co-opted from a minority by the majority. I'd really like to know what the authorial intent was in regard to the lingerie pics, because I am hard-pressed to describe those shots as anything other than fetishistic.

If anyone has other thoughts, I'd be interested in hearing them. I know that there is the issue of under-representation (and mis-representation) of hijabis, but I can also definitely see the ways in which the editorial would be offensive to Muslim women and to all women.

25-05-2010
windowshopping

okay,so maybe this doesnt define as "chic" but she looks bad-a s s doesnt she? lol, i'm not sure if anyone has posted this already but its pretty famous:

you know... that "famous" afghan girl, mysterious looking and all

source:national geographic (duh!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg afghan-girl-national-geographic.jpg (25.2 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by xabscission; 25-05-2010 at 01:32 PM.
25-05-2010
rising star

^ You're right, it's an iconic image.
They tracked her down after the initial photo. I think it was 17 years between the 2 photos, but there's no mistaking those eyes

25-05-2010
front row

Those eyes

Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving
Albert Einstein
25-05-2010
windowshopping

Quote:
^ You're right, it's an iconic image.
They tracked her down after the initial photo. I think it was 17 years between the 2 photos, but there's no mistaking those eyes
she looks a little off in her later years but that happens to most women. like my mom tells me stories (parents are from afghanistan) that the most gorgeous woman (mostly the poorer civilians) can turn out all ruggedy in old age cuz of all the hard work. like my mom when she was younger she never wanted to cook anything around the house cuz they used those coal like stoves and after a while of that you'd be permanently "dirty looking" and your skin (including face) would get rough etc etc. pretty crazy, huh?

Last edited by xabscission; 25-05-2010 at 09:50 PM.
25-05-2010
windowshopping

here's another photo, the source is: muslim girl magazine (site)
( hence the "muslim girl" written on the image, plz excuse that,us muslims are sooo lame sometime ...)

muslim girl pink.bmp.

Last edited by xabscission; 25-05-2010 at 10:12 PM.
26-05-2010
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabscission View Post
she looks a little off in her later years but that happens to most women. like my mom tells me stories (parents are from afghanistan) that the most gorgeous woman (mostly the poorer civilians) can turn out all ruggedy in old age cuz of all the hard work. like my mom when she was younger she never wanted to cook anything around the house cuz they used those coal like stoves and after a while of that you'd be permanently "dirty looking" and your skin (including face) would get rough etc etc. pretty crazy, huh?
I totally get what you mean! In the 2nd image she is supposed to be around 30, but she looks a lot older because of her way of life. Not to mention what effect emotional trauma must have- I read she witnessed her parents getting killed when their village was attacked by a Soviet helicopter (before the 1st photo was taken). Knowing this information, I think the photographer captured her emotions perfectly in that now iconic shot.

26-05-2010
rising star

I haven't seen the whole documentary, but looks very interesting. This is a clip of them trying to find the girl. (It's great that they show the other shots that the photographer took of her)

Last edited by Jared; 26-05-2010 at 05:53 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
chic, hijab