How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-01-2007
at the irish pub

in Turkey hijabed girls dont generally wear make up..i think that it's ridicilous to wear nearly heavy make up(#83)because it doesnt look beautiful...and if you're wearing that much make-up,ok so dont wear hijab because they both are in condratiction in our religion...

20-01-2007
front row

oh no no that makeup i posted was from beauty and high fashion arabic magazines, i don't think the women go that far, perhaps for weddings or special occasions but ive never seen it it to that extent for day-to-day wear, i doubt you will too ... it was just a high fashion interpretation of how much arabic women love their eye makeup and colours.

and its def not for woman wearing hijab, if it was im sure they'd have a model in there wearing it and a hijab so obviously they think it would be inappropriate too

The girls in my pics wearing them have quite light makeup on

Last edited by Juicy; 20-01-2007 at 07:06 AM.
20-01-2007
Fashion Icon googoo gagaa

jiucy..the first pic of "rajaa"" (sp?) is the right way imo..others are just ridiculous...i dont thin in any culture a woman should conceal her face and paint it with that much make up..the term..ill go put on my face...girls should never been doing that anywhere is the world!!

G86
front row

^I agree with you. it's ridiculous but sadly i see alot of women especialy between the age of 27-45 wearing that much make up in weddings and big parties. but without hijab ofcourse because in weddings and parties here women and men do not mix.

20-01-2007
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
this seems a bit contradictory..
i thought that the reason people wore the veils was modesty..
if they start wearing designer veils...
doesn't that make it vanity...
which i would assume is frowned upon...

something about this just seems 'wrong'......
Yes, it is a little bit funny.

At my school, the Muslim girls usually wear Gucci, Vuitton and Fendi monogram scarves in the form of hijabs. Nobody talks about it though.

I do.
I always do.
Always.

20-01-2007
Away From Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by heynicepants
Yes, it is a little bit funny.

At my school, the Muslim girls usually wear Gucci, Vuitton and Fendi monogram scarves in the form of hijabs. Nobody talks about it though.

I do.
I always do.
Always.
erm...well, sorry you feel it is funny. i thought we had discussed the issue pretty thourougly in the thread, but I guess ppl. still have their perceptions.

Thanks to everyone who contributes to this thread - it's pretty unbelievable, in forum-land, for such a normal, reasoned, un-prejudiced and open-minded discussion about a potentially contraversial issue to take place. Just goes to show how awesome TFS is!!

PS - Perhaps we should make a distinction between Arab hijabis and non-Arab hijabis ... it would probably surprise ppl. to know that Arabs actually make up only 7% of the world Muslim population. Not to mention, as someone talked about earlier, the whole heavy make up look and exaggerated eyeliner is a culturally specific asthetic, and is not necessarily transferrable to the majority of hijabis.

20-01-2007
backstage pass

Curious as to what a Chanel hijab looks like. Pictures,anyone?

Away From Here

kind of a bad pic...but here you go ...I find them a bit silly, but then I'm not a fan of logos on anything, let alone my head!
credit:simplyislam

20-01-2007
Away From Here

here's a close-up of a Calvin Klein one ...again, atrocious, but to each thier own!

credit: simplyislam

Last edited by vikingqueen; 20-01-2007 at 01:42 PM.
20-01-2007
Away From Here

well, there's nothing wrong with me...how about you?

and yes, I, as a Muslim woman, who wears a scarf, find it perfectly acceptable, both on a religious and personal level, for a woman to wear whatever headscarf she likes....it can have tiger stripes and spangles for all i care.

perhaps you would like to become an Imam and pass a fatwa banning "inappropriate hijabs", on behalf of protecting my religion from mockery?

20-01-2007
tfs star

^Personally, I would hate it if an imam did that. The hijab is just suppose to protect out modesty. I mean people can interpret it however they want; ie with logoed scarves or as you said, spangles.

Like some of you in this thread, what really bugs me is when girls where hijabs with really tight clothing. I see that happening all over SIngapore with woman mostly below 25. And some of them are also overly affectionate with their bfs in public. As a Muslim, I think it's annoying and hypocritical. Why wear the hijab when you're going to compromise on so many other things? I just don't get it.

blog: http://pascommedesenfants.blogspot.com
20-01-2007
Fashion Icon googoo gagaa

choco..i totally agree with u

Away From Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatestain
^Personally, I would hate it if an imam did that. The hijab is just suppose to protect out modesty. I mean people can interpret it however they want; ie with logoed scarves or as you said, spangles.

Like some of you in this thread, what really bugs me is when girls where hijabs with really tight clothing. I see that happening all over SIngapore with woman mostly below 25. And some of them are also overly affectionate with their bfs in public. As a Muslim, I think it's annoying and hypocritical. Why wear the hijab when you're going to compromise on so many other things? I just don't get it.
i was totally joking about the imam! Sorry, maybe it didn't translate well
and yes, I understand about the tight clothing issue. Perhaps I am just so prickly about this issue b/c I see a lot of ppl, especially those who don't wear hijab, criticizing those who wear it and how they wear it.

I know how hard it is, and how just because you make the decision to wear it doesn't automatically make you into a saint. And also, some girls are simply young and silly - they don't understand the import of the hijab yet, but in my experience that's something that comes with age and wisdom. Nobody's perfect, and living in this day and age, especially in the West, it's very hard to maintain a balance while remaining true to your religious principles. Sometimes, the hijab is the only thing keeping someone from completely abandoning their religion ...

But of course, it's a fine line ...I totally believe in protecting the integrity of the hijab, otherwise it just becomes a part of a uniform, and not a reflection of someone's spirituality - but then again, how can you tell what is going on in a person's heart? I know, personally, that there are girls who dress as modestly as you could imagine, all the while juggling boyfriends and drinking enough to kill a small elephant.

By the way - as far as i know, there's no dating before marriage ....what's with the making out in public!!!??? Did the rules change suddenly, b/c if they did i gotta make some phone calls! :p

20-01-2007
tfs star

^haha, no worries. I got the joke. I just shudder to contemplate the possibility of an iman actually doing that.

blog: http://pascommedesenfants.blogspot.com
20-01-2007
Away From Here

Oh, you know how we are ...I'm sure anything is possible!! i just choose to ignore the crazies and get the proper info from the proper sources ...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
chic, hijab