How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-08-2005
rising star

Hobo and boho ... and the difference is?
Hey, this is my first forum posting here. I am a fashion student in New Zealand and have recently been reading the word HOBO a lot. At first I thought that it was boho spelt wrong, but apparently not. Can somebody please tell me what the difference is?
ANd what the trends entail exactly?
I will be very grateful as this is for an assignment.

04-08-2005
backstage pass

A hobo is a homeless person.

So they're basically wearing a slop of old dirty clothes of whatever they can find and obviously not wearing clothes in order to look good.

04-08-2005
trendsetter

i don't think hobo is a trend. it seems to me more likely that this expression is used to depreciate the boho-look. (especially if the person looks too careless concerning his outfit: wearing old, damaged or filthy clothes, clothes that don't have the right size, lots of layers that don't match... just like a homeless person probably would.)

04-08-2005
offline.

Hobo is a type of bag style.

04-08-2005
V.I.P.

Boho is when you paid a lot of money for it.

04-08-2005
rising star

thanks guys, i appreciate your help... so i acn be glad that the hobo trend is not heard of in NZ

04-08-2005
windowshopping

the hobo look is already widespread in certain art schools and communities.

also, after a few days of not wearing deodorant i think your body balances out the stench. unfortunately, i'm not speaking from experience, just from stories that have been passed down...

Last edited by bryne; 04-08-2005 at 02:02 AM.
04-08-2005
rising star

Does anyone know where the names hobo and boho came from? Whicg came 1st? Thanx

04-08-2005
ingenue

we already have threads on these topics:

hippie and boho: http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...highlight=hobo

bobo: http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...highlight=hobo

04-08-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absoloodle
Does anyone know where the names hobo and boho came from? Whicg came 1st? Thanx
I think"boho" is short for bohemian. I think taht includes anything ethnic, eclectic, not-conservative, etc. I don't know where hobo originates but like someone else said, it refers to homeless people. I think of what MK Olsen is photgraphed wearing to class at NYU as hobo. Very messing and over-sized and un-coordinated. Somehow she gets away with it.

trendsetter

check this out. I found it rather amusing.

windowshopping

Here is the best description I could find...
"Boho Chic is the epitome of a free thinking artist, whose look encompasses a vintage inspired style with earthy tones, loose fitting clothes, and combining certain looks to appeal to an eclectic vibe.
This seventies-inspired trend is an mix of luxurious textures and contrasting fabrics."

Mary Kate Olsen is a prime example of Boho-Chic. A distinctively Boho outfit might include wearing chunky boots with a peasant skirt, a turtleneck and a long flowing knit scarf.

The term hobo in reference to fashion has been commonly misused by people who have mistaken the term "boho". The term hobo would refer to someone who looked homeless or "trashy" rather than fashionably different (as with Boho-Chic). The term also applies to hobo bags, which are generally medium-larger round shoulder bags.

I hope I have been of some assistance. Feel free to IM me or email me if you ahve any questions that I might be able to answer. Just out of curriosity, where do you go to school?

05-08-2005
rising star

Thank you so much, this is a huge help. And I have basically based my essay on what everyone has written in the forums of these topics. I go to school in Wellington, NZ and hope to get into the fashion industry oneday. Maybe Fashion magazines, or designing because I am obsessed with both!So just to clarify: Hobo derives from Boho but is a derogatory term for looking more like a homeless person than Boho. Would someone be able to clarrify what these Hobo bags are though? What do they look like?
And Bobo (Bohemian Bourgeois) is similar to Boho, but looking more like you've just got out of bed and thrown on layers of clothing and beads. (?)
So is Bobo more of a layered look? Would you say that Bobo is the next onstep in trends from Hobo? Thanx so much for your help

05-08-2005
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelle
check this out. I found it rather amusing.

**EDIT: PLEASE REMOVE PICS FROM QUOTES**
Thats awesome! thanx. love it!

Last edited by Kimkhuu; 06-08-2005 at 09:42 AM.
05-08-2005
scenester

I wouldn't write an essay based on these findings..!
I'm sure you can find something much more substantial in the fashion world the write an entire essay on!
And as for this description:

"Boho Chic is the epitome of a free thinking artist, whose look encompasses a vintage inspired style with earthy tones, loose fitting clothes, and combining certain looks to appeal to an eclectic vibe.
This seventies-inspired trend is an mix of luxurious textures and contrasting fabrics."

It's such a shame that so many people ate up the ACTUAL meaning of Bohemian to what people class as that now (i.e see-through white gypsy skirts, huge thick tacky belts and blingy gold sequins etc)!!! yak..

Can't wait for this trend to disappear off the face of the earth.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
boho, difference, hobo