How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-02-2004
rising star

Ivy League/Preppy Style
I really like the preppy styles...you know...a nice sweater and a crisp shirt underneath, with a dainty neck scarf. But that's not necessarily limited to that.

I also like to pull my hair into a low ponytail to create a sophisticated look. Anyway...what are your opinions on "sophisticated" and "preppy" styles? What's your favorite look/trend? Feel free to post pictures.

04-02-2004
fashion insider

i love that style a lot too. i sometimes can't get over how great a nice shirt looks under a cute sweater. really! but i love seamless turtlenecks, full skirts, and high, high heels with loose waves down or loosely pulled back. that i find really cute.

when it comes to sophistication, i am in love with high waisted pencil skirts and a crisp shirt. or maybe even a silk shirt, as long as it has shape. i'll be back with some pics

rising star

Quote:
Originally posted by TheSweetest@Feb 4th, 2004 - 12:57 am
i'll be back with some pics
ooo i'm excited!!

07-02-2004
front row

I have recently gotten into the sophisticated sexy look. Being in highschool I am surrounded by the teen version of "sexy". The other day, my friend wore tight low rise jeans, and a tiny tight top with huge hoop earrings, plus glitter eyeliner. I wore a high waisted pink pinstriped pencil skirt, a crisp white button up shirt and light pink pumps. My hair was down in soft waves and my only make up was mascara and cream blush.

I had some people tell me I looked sexy, but classy, not trashy. Yay. I felt like such a grown up.

As for preppy, I just bought a sleevless pink argyle sweater.

08-02-2004
Procrastinator.

I love tweed.

Oh, and Lovespell, your outfit sounds really nice. Bravo for not falling prey to vulgar "teen sexy."

http://www.shopstyle.com/users/hboogie
08-02-2004
tfs star

i think cardigans are gonna be great...i think a cardigan with a full skirt speaks grease all over...and i'm obsessed wiv lil neck tiees, or a ribbon round the neck and high ponytails.i've been a fan of preppy for a while, but i think it's on it's way to because it's mod all the way now.

08-02-2004
backstage pass

Loafers and Lacoste polos or a crisp Oxford with a jacket over your shoulders.

10-02-2004
V.I.P.

When it comes to preppy, I love Lacoste polos with knee lengt jean skirts or pale pleated jean skirt!

Tommy Hilfiger is my "inspiration" for preppy. Their latest preppy campaign was beyond hot!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg index_img.jpg (26.3 KB, 323 views)

10-02-2004
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

I admit that I've grown acustomed to the preppy look. To me, there are a few ways that you can come across as preppy...

Low-rise jeans, a white collar shirt w/ vest, oxfords or any type of boot w/ a heel

polo shirt w/ low-rise khakis, belt

I, too, like to sex up the preppy look. I'm in college, but love to have some fun - smoky eyes w/ a preppy outfit will do it for me, or maybe half pigtails w/ an argyle sweater. The possibilities are endless!

V.I.P.

I love preppy as long as it's not pushed too far (you know the preps that tend towards trashy). As long as you keep it looking really clean, I really like this style.

Well, it's actually my style.... (well most of the time)

23-02-2004
V.I.P.

yeah, i agree with Elle Gramour, i like to make the 'preppy' look for sexy, basically mixing and matching..because preppy alone is too..boring for my taste.

windowshopping

I still love my Bermuda bag, I have almost twenty covers for it! Oh yeah- I do like script monograms!

29-05-2004
front row

I am extremely preppy and one of my favorite preppy pieces is polo's!! I also looove Ralph Lauren clothes ( @ least most of them!). A look that was in June/July Teen Vogue (America) was a white Lacoste Polo, with an A-line ruffly, short, flirty skirt, pearl necklaces, chanel logo earrings (studs), and a Louis Vuitton bucket bag. It was sooo cuute! I also love tweed or boucle jackets!

02-06-2004
rising star

Lovespell, your outfit sounds perfect! I too have to deal with the overtly sexy-teen look daily - I like to leave a little to the imagination.

I'm a little on the obsessed side of the whole neo-preppy thing. I love to balance the country-club look with more feminine, trendy pieces. Skinny polo with ruffled skirt. Button down (sleeves rolled up) oxford with pencil skirt. Shrunken cardigan with frayed denim mini. I live for pearls, little jackets, argyle, and anything RL.

kabhi alvida

I really like the Clueless preppy look-toned down obviously. I have a pair of cute silver ballet pumps that look cool with pleated minis. My friend sometimes wears a fitted white shirt with a black long-sleeved v-neck on top around uni with jeans, and i do it with a mini and the flats.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
ivy, league or preppy, style