How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-12-2007
V.I.P.

Alexander McQueen S/S 08
elle.com

[IMG]*****************************/image/2007/W40/100520072214152475.jpg[/IMG][IMG]*****************************/image/2007/W40/100520072214163264.jpg[/IMG]

29-12-2007
barcode

That blush colored Dolce is beautiful with that hand painted cherryblossom sprig.

Last edited by Spike413; 31-12-2007 at 04:04 AM.
31-12-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike413 View Post
I have to say though that I'm glad a lot of it this season is more vague....no one can really touch oragami or kimonos in a literal way for a while without drawing some comparison to Dior HC s/s 07, though I do love the short black kimono with pink beaded obi by McQueen.
Me too!
I think this is taking design to the next level
It's a lot more original and creative

They're only really taking the simplest ideas
the foundations in a Asian costume
to put it into clothing for now

I thought the clothing for Balenciaga was quite interesting... It's really just in the fabrics (just slightly more for the second one, in the small sleeves), although the colours look European to me
And the "obi" /sash and robe closure is done in a new way

It's wonderful !
Thanks Kimkhuu

31-12-2007
barcode

Balenciaga is a very interesting take on it, it's so vague, and yet it's so obvious that it's similar to samourai armour.

The floral prints skew the look into completely new territory, which is what makes them so interesting.

31-12-2007
V.I.P.

There are a few dresses at Balenciaga that have an unusal texture that's seen in fabrics created by various indigenous groups in China

But I can see what you mean by Samurai
he even uses insertion stitches to put parts together
This Nicholas is quite good with his references

31-12-2007
windowshopping

I really like the traditional Balenciaga prints especially against those unusual and robotic shapes. I think its a nice contrast. Apart from that and perhaps the Lanvin dresses I am continually finding traditionally Japanese inspired pieces a bit dull. I think on a personal level this is because when I was younger I was obsessed with traditional floral Japanese prints and used to draw them all the time in my art class, so now when I see things which remind me of this time I feel a bit exhausted of the motif.

V.I.P.

Here's an old thread from '06

Designers inspired by the kimono

07-01-2008
tfs star

It would be foolish of me to not come into a thread about Japan since Japan is my favorite country (besides my native United States, of course). The thing I take away from Japanese style is how colorful everything is. The funniest way to put it is that you can dress up almost any way you like, and you're trendy. Either trendy or have your own style. I think it's great that Gwen Stefani first brought up the sort of Japanese influence with the Harajuku Girls deal. Nice to see someone take up on Japanese style rather than put it aside. I always felt there was some sort of rule in popular American culture in which you pay no mind to anything Japanese. You know... always vote an American or European car over anything Japanese.

Babbling aside, my favorite Asian touch has to be the classic garments with beautiful flowers on them. There's just something about Asian women's fashion (let alone Japanese) in which the flower designs are so beautiful and flows beautifully. I've always loved a classic Mandarin dress (usually red, but I've seen other colors) with the beautiful flower patterns adorned on the dress. The reddish-orange Dolce and Gabbana dress in Post #15 is somewhat an example of the beautiful flower designs I'm talking about. That dress looks amazing. I personally love sakura (cherry blossom) trees. The pinkish-white flowers on sakura trees are absolutely beautiful to look at. The more designers are able to create trendy and chic outfits with Japanese influence, the better. I'm just so curious as to why there aren't very many Japanese (or at least Asian) influenced fashions for ladies. I know America and Europe have outstanding designs and styles, but why not Japan? They don't have the best fashion styles to rival anything of America or Europe, but they still have some lovely influences. The sakura designs alone are enough to showcase how beautiful Japanese and Japanese-inspired fashion can be. Question is... will designers ever get to create Japanese-inspired fashion to get women to wear something fun and chic and beautiful? At least from these pictures, designers are surely putting forth their best efforts.

11-02-2008
I don't know

me in my kimono from china.. I wish I had a picture where u could see the print better but I don't.. the print is really lovely
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kimono.jpg (58.1 KB, 1 views)

18-04-2008
tfs star

Lovely kimono saann.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
08, influence, japanese, s or s