How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-10-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ida
Pardon me? You know, Arafat didn't invent the kahfiyah scarf. Jeez...

My mom used to wear them because she wanted to show sympathy to Palestine, what's wrong with that? The kahfiyah is mostly worn by left-wing kids. Making political statements via your clothes is verrry trendy in DK these days.
still, the scarf is strong symbolim of palestinian nationalism, its hard to deny.
the kids in my political science classes - or just politically conscious people in general - have been wearing them years.

regardless, the point of the matter is that its become a trend in the last 1-2 years. i think a lot of people wearing them now (ahem hipster kids ahem) have absolutely NO idea what it represents and what it means to people.

i would tend to have a similar reaction if i saw (example) lindsay lohan wearing a che guevara shirt.

05-10-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boluda
still, the scarf is strong symbolim of palestinian nationalism, its hard to deny.
the kids in my political science classes - or just politically conscious people in general - have been wearing them years.

regardless, the point of the matter is that its become a trend in the last 1-2 years. i think a lot of people wearing them now (ahem hipster kids ahem) have absolutely NO idea what it represents and what it means to people.

i would tend to have a similar reaction if i saw (example) lindsay lohan wearing a che guevara shirt.
Most have no idea indeed, I asked a couple of girls in my class, who wear that scarf, if they mean anything political by it, and they looked at my as if I was speaking Chinese, they had no idea what i was talking about.

05-10-2006
In Bloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boluda
That would be priceless

we were in love

05-10-2006
Nyx
front row

Quote:
That would be priceless
But unfortunately doesn't somehow feel all that far fetched really

05-10-2006
backstage pass

^
exactly. once a fashion victim always a fashion victim.

05-10-2006
tfs star

Quote:
My mom used to wear them because she wanted to show sympathy to Palestine, what's wrong with that? The kahfiyah is mostly worn by left-wing kids. Making political statements via your clothes is verrry trendy in DK these days.
except most of these kids bought them for £15 out of urban outfitters and have no idea about any political statement they are making.

there were campaigners here in glasgow selling these scarves and asking people to sign their petition. i seen one young guy go up and ask if he could buy a scarf. when asked to sign the survey he said 'naw, i just want to buy a scarf!'. sadly, most people of these people are like him fair dos though if you want to support palestine by wearing this scarf but as just a fashion accessory (come on, do our noses and mouths really need protecting from sand storms here in the city) it's just lame to me.

05-10-2006
In Bloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifa
except most of these kids bought them for £15 out of urban outfitters and have no idea about any political statement they are making.

there were campaigners here in glasgow selling these scarves and asking people to sign their petition. i seen one young guy go up and ask if he could buy a scarf. when asked to sign the survey he said 'naw, i just want to buy a scarf!'. sadly, most people of these people are like him fair dos though if you want to support palestine by wearing this scarf but as just a fashion accessory (come on, do our noses and mouths really need protecting from sand storms here in the city) it's just lame to me.
I believe it's different in Denmark, as I wrote before...beeing political is trendy here.

we were in love

05-10-2006
backstage pass

^
yikes

05-10-2006
In Bloom

^Very. On the other hand, almost everyone votes, and THAT is good.

we were in love

05-10-2006
Soviet Camaro

The keffiyah is a very eye-catching and attractive item, so it is not surprising that it has made the jump to being a fashion accessory. As with some other ideologically-identified items (camouflage for instance), it can be a bit disconcerting to see it in a purely fashion context.

LUMANAcom, please provide proper credits for the pics or they will have to be removed; "another tFS thread" is not acceptable. Thank you.

tfs star

Quote:
I believe it's different in Denmark, as I wrote before...beeing political is trendy here.
well if it encourages people to be informed and vote, it's a good thing here politics is the epitome of uncool. kids revel in not even knowing who the prime minister is.

05-10-2006
urd
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifa
I think it's kind of interesting how this trend has started from political symphaty towards palestine into something SO mainstream.

I would never wear it now, when all the 7-year-olds are doing it. no matter how much political interest I would have..

05-10-2006
etre soi-meme

its huge over here but also it has been around since the late 70s
so you see them on 15 to 50 year olds.
i dont think its related to politics as literally as some may think, i see this more related to a 'progressive' or/and 'conscious' attitude
it may sound rude but i dont think that the kids know -or care, or should care- if this was worn by a politician.
their friend wears it, they want one.
simple and cute.

05-10-2006
V.I.P.

^I don't want to wear it eventhough I think it is cute. It is political, eventhough my oppinion is not at all the one shared here above.

05-10-2006
Soviet Camaro

Please stay on the topic of the keffiyeh as a fashion item.

Political commentary will be deleted per tFS guidelines.

Thank you.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
keffiyeh, scarf