How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-02-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena

Balenciaga is the end of the coolness in this trend..
Wow! Never thought I would hear that sentence!!

27-02-2007
front row

I can't see the the pictures that Lena and Urd posted.

27-02-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by caramelhoney
I can't see the the pictures that Lena and Urd posted.
here it is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 73433741.jpg (25.6 KB, 67 views)

27-02-2007
front row

Thanks. I can't really tell if it's a Kahfiyah scarf or not...

27-02-2007
V.I.P.

Well, I think that it looks quite stylish in the Balenciaga show. I don't know if the kahfiyah trend will catch on in high fashion, however.

28-02-2007
etre soi-meme

kahfiyah inspired scarves were one of the strong points at Balenciaga's collection, he obviously got inspiration from the street trend which is a real change of attitude for Nicolas G.

28-02-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushka_BeLLa
I wanted to buy another kahfiyah scarf yesterday, so I went into a Muslim store and they told me they did not have it and I must get out because I am white. I was so sad!
Muslims promoting the wrong thing here (I, myself am a Muslim btw)

ANd for the record I am wearing the keffiyah for the political cause, not for fashion

And I agree with everything xmodel says!

Do the Olsen twins wear a keffiyah?

Spring of Córdoba

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheepmunk

Same with non-Christians wearing crosses
there is a difference between a kahfiyah scarf and crosses.
crosses are religious symbols , the kahfiyah is not ..it's just a traditional piece of clothing that is worn in most arab countries. i don't know why people in this thread are linking it to palestine only.
to me , wearing a kahfiyah scarf is like wearing a japanese kimono-inspired top. i don't see what is wrong about borrowing from other cultures.

anyway , that kahfiyah scarf was the only thing i liked about the Balenciaga show

28-02-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadEyes
there is a difference between a kahfiyah scarf and crosses.
crosses are religious symbols , the kahfiyah is not ..it's just a traditional piece of clothing that is worn in most arab countries. i don't know why people in this thread are linking it to palestine only.
to me , wearing a kahfiyah scarf is like wearing a japanese kimono-inspired top. i don't see what is wrong about borrowing from other cultures.

anyway , that kahfiyah scarf was the only thing i liked about the Balenciaga show
Regardless of whether or not the scarf started out as a political statement, it is now. People wear the scarf to show their support for Palestine. That's why you don't exactly see lots of Jews embracing this trend. It's not because they don't like the aesthetic of the scarf but because they know that the scarf now comes with certain political connotations.

I personally would never wear this scarf...and not because I don't like the design or because I'm overwhelmingly pro-Israel. Politics is a touchy subject, and I wouldn't want to offend anyone or make a bad impression by wearing the scarf...especially in a professional setting.

28-02-2007
Fashion Icon googoo gagaa

tushka- what is a muslim store?! confused:X
as u know and has been mentioned many times- kafiyya scarf is NOT an ISLAMIC thing.:S- its traidtionally and culturally arabic.

Fashion Icon googoo gagaa

[quote=StilettosAddict!]Here in the UAE its called 'Ghutra', in Saudi Arabia its called 'Shumagh'.

actually the shumagh is the red and white, ghutra is the white one..as it is called in saudi arabia

Spring of Córdoba

my point is ( some people want to wear it to support palestine , others choose to wear it because it looks nice and i don't see anything wrong with that

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan38
Regardless of whether or not the scarf started out as a political statement, it is now. People wear the scarf to show their support for Palestine. That's why you don't exactly see lots of Jews embracing this trend. It's not because they don't like the aesthetic of the scarf but because they know that the scarf now comes with certain political connotations.

I personally would never wear this scarf...and not because I don't like the design or because I'm overwhelmingly pro-Israel. Politics is a touchy subject, and I wouldn't want to offend anyone or make a bad impression by wearing the scarf...especially in a professional setting.
i know what you mean..
but to be honest.. in a country like America , doesn't every piece of clothing that is arab-inspired is looked at as a sign of palestine/anti-israel/islamists?
whether it's a kahfiah scarf or a galabia dress , you can't wear anything arabic without stirring negative/political feelings. on the other hand , there is nothing wrong with wearing a kimono dress or sporting an indian tunic maybe i'm not making sense here to anyone , but i just feel sad because i believe my culture is rich with beautiful customs , but it can't find its way to globalization since arabic culture is frowned at...atleast at this time

Last edited by ParadEyes; 28-02-2007 at 09:39 AM.
28-02-2007
Spring of Córdoba

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsq
some pictures i found that resemble kahfiyah scarfs but are not. i guess they can be a good alternative for those who want to wear the look but don't want to associate any political stance that come with it. they are from the alexander herchcovitch fw04 show from style.com
i like these very much

28-02-2007
God Save McQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan38

exactly. symbols and images get appropriated by other groups and cultures all the time. hell, the christians didnt invent the cross.

and you do make an impression by wearing it. if i see someone wearing the scarf, i will think one of two things: a) they are just wearing it for fashion and have no clue the meaning of it, or b) they have very different political and faith beliefs than i do

28-02-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadEyes
my point is ( some people want to wear it to support palestine , others choose to wear it because it looks nice and i don't see anything wrong with that

i know what you mean..
but to be honest.. in a country like America , doesn't every piece of clothing that is arab-inspired is looked at as a sign of palestine/anti-israel/islamists?
whether it's a kahfiah scarf or a galabia dress , you can't wear anything arabic without stirring negative/political feelings. on the other hand , there is nothing wrong with wearing a kimono dress or sporting an indian tunic maybe i'm not making sense here to anyone , but i just feel sad because i believe my culture is rich with beautiful customs , but it can't find its way to globalization since arabic culture is frowned at...atleast at this time

totally!
and i meantioned this before in this thread, why does everything that is even arab inspired always interperted as a politic or religeous thing?
and yeah, that balenciaga scarf is inspired by the kahfiya scarf

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
keffiyeh, scarf