How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-09-2007
Unveil Yourself....

Maxi Dresses S/S 08
For a lack of a better word, I have been seeing a lot of tent dresses lately. Flowy, soft, long dresses announcing the return of the boho/hippi chic maybe?

Etro

Jil Sander | D&G

D&G

Gianfranco Ferre | Just Cavalli

style.com

twitter.com/ErikP87

27-09-2007
In Bloom

I believe these are called maxi dresses... I love them to death, but I don't know when or where I would wear them?

we were in love

27-09-2007
front row

I don't think boho has ever really gone away, despite what people want to believe

27-09-2007
tfs star

I would have to imagine that these dresses would fail to flatter most bodies. Think about any kind of dress. I've seen polo shirts extending down far below the waistline to make a dress, a garden variety of sundresses, let's not forget the special-occasion gowns, the "little black dress," and let's not forget something called... the wedding dress. Traditional dresses expose the curves of a lady's figure. These dresses are beautiful, but I fear that these may destroy the actual figure of the lady who wears these. Someone mentioned that certain girls can look like tents if they wear these. My favorite sort of maxi dress (if I were a lady) would be one that would support my bustline and flow downward from there. Most figures/ The top picture in Post #1 is more along the lines of a "tent dress" that I'd wear if I were a lady. I fear my figure wouldn't be showcased properly if I wore one of these. Something like the fourth and sixth pictures would also be "tent dresses" I'd also wear if I were a lady. I probably wouldn't want them to trail on the floor. They'll have to raise up the flared portion of these dresses to make them more livable and not end up getting them dirtied constantly, caught in doors, or anything like that.

These are all beautiful dresses regardless.

28-09-2007
G86
front row

i really love this trend but i think it only works on tall women. i'm 5'2 i don't think i can pull this off.

28-09-2007
rising star

it's a lil muumuu-esque

28-09-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by G86 View Post
i really love this trend but i think it only works on tall women. i'm 5'2 i don't think i can pull this off.
you'd be surprised... i'm 5'2 also and love a long dress... but then, i don't mind looking short because i AM short

there's just something so easy+wearable about a long dress in the summer - especially on days when you don't have time to deal with shaving your legs :p

28-09-2007
G86
front row

^ i don't mind looking short too. but long dresses/skirts look overwhelming on me sometimes.

30-09-2007
V.I.P.

I like them but this is the kind of dress that you'll see your picture in it 10 years later and say "What the hell were I thinking"

stories everywhere

not again...

I don't know

these can look ok on women as long as the fabric isn't too heavy and the print isn't too big

thanks for the thread =D

03-10-2007
tfs star

Like I said, these dresses don't look terrible at all. My only concern relates to getting these dresses caught in doors something. I don't know Bohemian enough to understand it fully. And yes, I'll use "Bohemian" because I dislike using "BoHo." Much like how I'll use "Southampton"(?) instead of SoHo. I'm not sure if these dresses will be appropriate enough as temperatures get colder. I would imagine that jackets (maybe boleros) as well as knee-high boots would work well for those who get too cold during Fall and Winter.

03-10-2007
In Bloom

Lovely styling @ 3.1 Phillip Lim - I would kill to be able to pull this off!
[IMG]*****************************/image/2007/W37/090920072151482573.jpg[/IMG]
elle.com

we were in love

29-10-2007
chaos reigns

its been a while ever since Ive seen a trend I love so much like this one ... it soo works!

barcode

Really though, the tent silhouette hasn't left since 2006....but these being floor legth makes them look very, VERY hippie.

I'm sick of the silhouette personally, and considering that you can get them from dozens of mid-price trendy chains and dept stores, it seems kind of rediculous to pay D&G/Gianfranco Ferre prices.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
08, dresses, maxi, s or s