How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-09-2009
rising star

oooh i love them. But i'm glad that there's some maxi skirt hatred going on in this thread - hopefully means there won't be a billion maxi skirt-clad clones walking around all over the place and i can get on with my flowing skirt love in peace without having my eyes assaulted by blind trend followers poisoning my soul :-)

18-09-2009
trendsetter

I like them when they're styled like the character of Lauren in the film Rules of Attraction but definitely not the boho style.

tfs star

At least I'd rather hippie or Bohemian style than constant re-hashing of the '80s, which many people don't mind at all. The reason why I liked maxi dresses is because...

1.) I like seeing more dresses than denim mini skirts all the time. This, not to say it's a bad thing. Just get burned out over skirts rather than dresses.
2.) They are styled lovingly. Drapes and flares greatly tickle my fancy.

As such, I'm pretty sure anything from a casual pair of sandals to the most chic pair of shoes will go well with these. Maxi dresses have caught on, but will maxi skirts? I'd like to think and hope so...

front row

I've never considered maxi skirts trendy :/ I feel like they're too...''catalogue''...

windowshopping

I think it depends how you style it - obviously when this thread was created back in 05, the boho sort of look was in, but now, tiered/flowy maxi skirts just don't seem to look.

The best way to style them at the moment, imho, is how Mary-Kate often does, and Camille from childhood flames, here and here and here

I wore one recently and I'm thinking of making more like it, in lighter colours for the upcoming (southern hemisphere) summer.

Interested to hear what other tfs'ers think about this sort of long skirt?

01-10-2009
rising star

I absolutely love long skirts, especially when they are fitted to the body, like the examples you gave.

01-10-2009
PopWillEatItself

This my favourite way of wearing it...

photo from the sartorialist (i think)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Armani2.jpg (202.5 KB, 56 views)

05-10-2009
trendsetter

@melt977
wow, the style you posted is amazing!! that's totally the way i'm wearing my skirt.

front row

I think it looks really fresh and modern when it is worn in a really minimalist, ashley olsen kind of way. i have a feeling they will catch on over the next few years.

10-10-2009
windowshopping

I think they're lovely in their own boho type look, but not everyone can wear them. If you are more of the shorter height, it would cut your height most definitely, and it's not always flattering.

I love them in the Japanese street fashion of Mori girls, neutral, soft creams have such purity attached to them.

10-10-2009
windowshopping

may be not for this season. but i love them

11-10-2009
front row

Theyll come back in style eventually Im sure. When I was in jr high they were HUGE and my mom wouldnt let me wear one lol. All the other trends have come back except that one; it seems inevitable especially w/ maxi dresses being hot right now.

12-10-2009
front row

^ why wouldn't your mom let you wear them? I remember the typical 90s version of the maxi skirt and I'm not much of a fan. I haven't seen an enticing interpretation of that body-conscious look, with the side slit you know? however the well-tailored ones, utilizing more fabric and clever draping as has been done as Comme des Garcons for ages, those are so sumptuous and elegant. they look great with blazers.

17-10-2009
front row

oh man. i'm in the mood for the classic belgian look right now (even though it's seasonally inappropriate with summer coming up) so basically moody, expensive, black. A maxi skirt in a fluid fabric is just what I need. (I need a return to romance in my life.. if not with men, then at least with clothes!) But 'maxi skirt' also brings up appalling memories of cheap chainstore peasant looks and filthy hippies. It's something you want to tread carefully with.

windowshopping

I love maxi skirts when it's tight fitting like a bodycon dress. It looks great with flowy tops and with tanktops over it or with long blazers.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
maxi, skirts