How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-11-2005
tfs star

Allow me to provide some insight on this issue.

I can recall a lady named Jennifer Minniti, a woman from San Francisco, CA, USA. In a rather old article (read the article here: http://metroactive.com/papers/sfmetr...ion1-98-3.html ), she basically told people that she designs dresses and skirts for men. She has a relevant case about beauty, and the so-called "manskirt." Ms. Minniti states how the beauty of the female form can be defined wonderfully through the medium of fashion. Trouble is, she thinks no one has captured the beauty of the male body. Now normally, a guy would say "we don't need to be beautiful. What, you want us to dress up in heels and wear T-shirts talking about surfing or flirting with guys?" So to me, the idea of men in skirts isn't exactly a bad thing to society, or even the world of fashion. Some ladies, however, believe that in the wake of "metrosexual" fashion that men shouldn't be dressing up in a fashionable sense. You know, only the ladies are supposed to stand out from others in alluring looks.

There's a reason the average American male wouldn't want to wear these manskirts, and the answer is simple. GUYS DON'T WEAR SKIRTS. Even sometimes, I kind of fiddled around with if I wore a manskirt. Surely, I'd want a long skirt, since I'm not really a shorts guy outside the house. But don't go saying that only women wear skirts. Sure, they can because they want to. But there are some skirts that are actually masculine that's other than kilts. Some want to make it a fashion statement, and if it means that they are too feminine, then so be it. The only reason why I am sort of defending the manskirt deal is because of the fact that skirts aren't exactly feminine, according to history. There are limits to skirts for men, but it's about expression for those into these skirts. Therefore, I'm not completely against it. Only once have I seen an actual manskirt being used, and that was on a Spanish novela called "Rebelde." This one guy was at the beach wearing something skirt-like.

Before I end this post, what do you all think about Minniti's comments on making the masculine form beautiful? Should designers beautiful the male body? Can pop culture society accept beautifying the male body? Will this hurt image?

27-04-2006
scenester

uits will take another 20 years to get into the flow and acceptance of men wearing a skirt..!

27-04-2006
fashion elite

I love men in skirts....especially kilts.

Like Ewan McGregor for instance

27-04-2006
windowshopping

men have short hairy legs. and it also helps that girl's reproductive organs are all on the inside..i mean, regardless if men originally also wore skirts and it wasn't effeminate, you can ignore the politics surrounding men in skirts but you cant ignore someone's penis and balls when your sitting opposite them on a bus..but just imo. suppose length and the right underwear would change that..as would looks hehe but still :p

27-04-2006
rising star

i can't see this taking off anytime soon, because feminine guys are the most likely to take it up and yet they would look silly. i think this look should be worn by butch men only, but unfortunately they'll be least likely to try it. a big taboo that i hope gets broken for the sake of men's fashion, we need something revolutionary, our industry is so stagnant compared to women's fashion.

28-04-2006
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid
i dont believe it. and i wont till i see evidence
Ok - see below. And I know many men who wear skirts. None are "feminine." They're men wearing something men have worn for tens of thousands of years throughout just about every country in the world. In fact, 40% of all men worldwide still wear skirt regularly. Why is this such a difficult concept for people in the US to grasp?

In short, men have worn skirts for tens of thousands of years.

We still do!

Last edited by dr1819; 28-04-2006 at 12:22 PM.
28-04-2006
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta
When the guy from the Red Hot Chili Peppers wore a skirt, he looked nothing but masculine. I have never actually met a guy wearing a skirt--and don't particularly expect to here in the heart of mindlessly macho red state and NRA country--but I view it as a possible turn-on based on the confidence necessary to pull it off.
Actually, quite a few NRA card-carrying hunters have taken to wearing kilts, particularly the cammo ones such as pictured above.

01-05-2006
scenester

What? No comments? I couldn't have ended all the objections with just a few pics...

Someone mentioned needing something different for a change because men's fashion is so stagnant. My question is, why is this so? Why are men more conformal than women? Furthermore, why do men knuckle under so much instead of bucking the trend?

When I lived in Vegas I'd occasionaly see men wearing skirts. It was hot there, and jeans just sort of cooked 'em. Plus, Vegas was an interesting mix of both progressive and conservative. The locals were conservative while the visitors were progressive. Then again, Vegas got visitors from around the world, and since around 40% of all men worldwide still wear some form of skirted fashion on a routine basis, it stands to reason that they'd simply wear the clothing to which they're accustomed while visiting the U.S. Plus, most men from other countries who come to Vegas are quite rich, and tend to buck the trends, anyway...

Bottom line, guys, if you've never worn one before, a skirt/kilt can be extremely comfortable compared to pants. I highly recommend them for leisure wear.

03-05-2006
rising star

I don't really see what the big deal is. Women wear men's clothing all the time, why can't it be the opposite? I think a man who is daring enough to wear a skirt is sexy as hell.

But that's all you do
03-05-2006
V.I.P.

^

whatever...

I have nothing against this trend...however...i'm afraid that i wouldn't take these men with skirts very seriously...i wouldn't be able...

03-05-2006
tfs star

men in skirts? sure why not? my man in a skirt- no thanks

front row

It can be a hot look. As long as it's not a frilly miniskirt from Abercrombie & Fitch or something Paris Hilton would wear. Uck.

03-05-2006
fashion icon

Well, as long as they have nice, shaved legs....:p

backstage pass

Kilts for Manly Men?
There is a website suggesting a "movement" for men, a "manly" movement involving kilts and not involving Scottish moors. There might be more than one website like this, but I'm aware of this one, Utilikilts, here is their basic product:

https://secure.utilikilts.com/index....TS&Category=37

I'm looking at it and some of the "photo gallery:"
http://www.utilikilts.com/photogal-index.htm

And in some cases the men look "manly" and in others, more "girly", there aren't any made out of lace or satin, but there is one made out of leather, and at the end of it all, I can't decide... Is it a joke, is it for real? (the manly part... I am pretty sure they really sell these.) Is it for guys who are in denial about their desire to wear skirts? Or is this a revival of scottish tradition... Can a manly man with no scottish background, in the 21st century, (let's say going to work in a typical office in downtown New York, one casual enough that shorts would be okay,) wear a kilt as an everyday clothing item?

(back in the day, men used to wear many things that are odd to us today, so just because it used to be common before, doesn't mean it would be accepted now...)

Life is Short

Last edited by Yasmin; 30-05-2006 at 10:05 AM.
30-05-2006
V.I.P.

me bollocks

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
men, skirts