How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-06-2006
& b

No please.

09-06-2006
fashion elite

09-06-2006
fashion elite

^ from ffforums.co.uk
(Famous Male Forums)

09-06-2006
fashion insider

^Ashton in a skirt? What a f'in poser!

I love the idea of men in skirts..but like most looks, there's a right way & a wrong way to do it..in the case of those Utilikilts (which I know I'll be seeing a lot of from the "bear" community at this weeks gay-pride festival), definitely WRONG! In the case of Gaultier, definitely RIGHT!

Id rather see men in skirts instead of men in heels..

Last edited by eugenius; 09-06-2006 at 08:21 AM.

09-06-2006
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenius
^Ashton in a skirt? What a f'in poser!

I love the idea of men in skirts..but like most looks, there's a right way & a wrong way to do it..in the case of those Utilikilts (which I know I'll be seeing a lot of from the "bear" community at this weeks gay-pride festival), definitely WRONG! In the case of Gaultier, definitely RIGHT!

Id rather see men in skirts instead of men in heels..
I totally agree.

I don't care for the utilikilts really. I like real traditional kilts.

09-06-2006
V.I.P.

It's a turn on to see a good looking guy with GREAT body in a skirt. BUT a certain type of skirt. I had a boyfriend who wears a long sarong when we're traveling in exotic places (ex: Bermuda, Bora Bora , Hawaii, et al.). Total hotness! Then I had another who wore a long sarong around the house.

And the only time I like to see a guy wear a short skirt is the kilt at a function or wedding that requires it. That pix of Ashton with the fatigue skirt is a turn off

Last edited by smartarse; 09-06-2006 at 12:25 PM.
09-06-2006
V.I.P.

IF any guys decides to wear a long sarong I suggest to wear shorts or briefs under . The nude thing with thin material plus air will attract some naughty attentions to both the wearer and the looky :p

09-06-2006
rising star

Nothing wrong with naughty attentions

I like the black utilikilts but they've been around for a little too long now and they are starting to seem tacky because of it. I was really hoping that the kilt or skirt thing would catch on a little more and that they would be explored more by designers, but it hasn't really taken off--maybe it still will, but it will proabably be a couple more years if it does.

fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzume
Nothing wrong with naughty attentions

I like the black utilikilts but they've been around for a little too long now and they are starting to seem tacky because of it. I was really hoping that the kilt or skirt thing would catch on a little more and that they would be explored more by designers, but it hasn't really taken off--maybe it still will, but it will proabably be a couple more years if it does.
Nothing's hotter than a man in a kilt

Especially when it's like Ewan McGregor

clangregor.org

or Billy Boyd

gondaba.com

10-06-2006
rising star

That IS a great pic.

scenester

I remember in the early 90's long skirts for men were kind of a fad, and made me drool, personally. They were more like long, ankle length, monocromatic wrap skirts and most men wore a heavy loose belt over it, around their hips. I loved the look!

The short skirts don't "do it" for me as much, (especially when worn by Ashton Kutcher) but skirts are soooo practical for the summer, men should be able to benefit from it as well. Go commando and keep cool!

11-06-2006
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzume
That IS a great pic.
There's tons of pics of Ewan in a kilt on the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandababian
I remember in the early 90's long skirts for men were kind of a fad, and made me drool, personally. They were more like long, ankle length, monocromatic wrap skirts and most men wore a heavy loose belt over it, around their hips. I loved the look!

The short skirts don't "do it" for me as much, (especially when worn by Ashton Kutcher) but skirts are soooo practical for the summer, men should be able to benefit from it as well. Go commando and keep cool!

I remember it used to be very big with goths and punks. I think some goths still do it.

I remember back in the mid to late 90s I went to New Orleans, and it was so hot, and I had not brought any shorts. My friend gave me a skit (long and black) to where around the house.

It was really comfortable, and I was cool the whole time. But I don't think I would ever go outside, on the street in one.

12-06-2006
trendsetter

oh myyy

15-06-2006
backstage pass

I really like slim men in long black skirt So subtly elegant IMO

Like most people said, absolutely no miniskirts

17-10-2006
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Men in Skirts

Today, very few men wear skirts. While it is permissible for women to wear trousers, if a man wears a skirt in public he risks ridicule. Associated as they are with women’s clothing, skirts have become potent symbols of femininity. The idea of men in skirts blurs the visual distinctions between the sexes. It contradicts how men are expected to look and, more fundamentally, challenges ideal attributes of male behaviour. A man in a skirt is not only perceived as looking feminine but being feminine.
In the West, men have not always worn trousers. It was with the evolution of tailoring from the 14th century that bifurcated garments gradually became associated with men’s dress and masculinity. Previously, both men and women wore draped or unshaped garments and tunics. As men’s tunics became shorter and tighter-fitting in the 15th century, fashionable men began to wear hose or stockings as outer leg wear. By the 16th century they had adopted breeches and by the early 19th century trousers. Long gowns and full-skirted coats, however, remained part of fashionable men’s wardrobes until the early 20th century.
Since the 1960s, several designers have attempted to re-introduce the skirt as an acceptable form of male attire. Frequently borrowing styles from other times and cultures, these designers have invented and re-invented the ‘skirt for men’. In some instances, counter-cultural groups, such as hippies, punks and new romantics, adopted their designs as a symbol of anarchy.
Skirts have also been worn by gay men as a sign of their alternative lifestyle. More recently, other men have begun to wear them as a fashion statement, often endorsed by pop, film and sporting personalities. In the mid-1990s, the footballer David Beckham was photographed in a Jean-Paul Gaultier version of a sarong.
With the exception of the Scottish kilt, men have been reluctant to wear skirted garments. Their adoption by the general male populace will ultimately depend on the re-evaluation of traditional gender conventions. But, through the work of contemporary designers, the idea of ‘men in skirts’ is constantly given new impetus.
http://www.vam.ac.uk/collections/fas...rts/index.html

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
men, skirts