How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-11-2003
chaos reigns

Hum ... I think long skirts for men are perfectly OK and easy-to-pull .. about the short (kilt-like) ones ... I've seen guys wearing 'em over jeans or bondage pants and they look fierce, it doesn't take an ounce of masculinity of the look ...
On a personal note ... on the beach, I wear my HUGE red towel as sarong .. It feels good!

06-11-2003
Stitch:the Hand

Ok then. Then tell me why its so wrong for a men to wear a skirt? Is it because it is typically for women? If that's the case,we could argue till the end of time that women have been doing that same thing in regards to wearing typically masculine clothing. Why the limitations for men?? You can't tell me that this has anything to do with "men should remain men" because that would sure as hell be a contradiction. And why do some seem to assume that skirts are frilly and feminine? Cuts,shape and fabric always changes the quotations around anything we wear whether its intentionally for women or not. And what is so wrong with a bit of exuberance anyway?

06-11-2003
& b

That means that we should start being against women wearing pants and business suits...

etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by Alejandro@Nov 6th, 2003 - 8:36 pm
That means that we should start being against women wearing pants and business suits...
indeed, sexism barriers in what shapes people should be free to wear are quite beyond the point, women that like wearing pants should understand that it's ok for men to wear skirts if they feel like.

Yohji had so many men's skirts for next summer , there was no 'femme' guy on sight at Yamamoto catwalk

06-11-2003
Vision of Paradise

Quote:
Originally posted by Spacemiu+Nov 5th, 2003 - 6:57 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spacemiu @ Nov 5th, 2003 - 6:57 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Scott@Nov 5th, 2003 - 2:26 pm

That just proves to me people have distorted images of what goes for what sex. Men,centuries ago wore skirts,tunics(everything percieved as for women nowadays),long before women.
exactly

I leik skirts very much on men and women, i find them such an intresting garmet ,
I ahve seen men in all kinds of skirts from hippy flowing indian ones to short striped mini skirts

WE NEED EQUALITY![/b][/quote]
these men you speak of who are wearing 'short ,striped mini skirts'- what did they do with their legs-out of curiosity? shave them? or wear tights?? what type of shoes did they wear?

sarongs, kilts OK.....mini skirts???? i think that is too overtly feminin. shoot me

etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by LolitaLuxe@Nov 6th, 2003 - 9:03 pm
these men you speak of who are wearing 'short ,striped mini skirts'- what did they do with their legs-out of curiosity? shave them? or wear tights?? what type of shoes did they wear?

men wear skirts whithout shaving their legs Lo.
Fave shoes are lace up boots, track boots etc there is absolutely no
feminine touch in this, quite machismo or individualism remain key moods
of this streetwear style -it exists in Paris- occasionaly even in Athens,
where two years ago the local pop star -and national heart throb
sported his now famous Valentino skirts on stage .
Girls still screamed for him, he's an icon.
Mini skirts are only worn over trousers,
in a very punk -rebel style.
All mens skirts i've seen are covering the knee
-at least 10cm- the majority of men's cool skirts are off ankle length,
usually pleated or wrapped.

think Neo's silhouette with the long black coat.
i could find a guy seriously sexy if he could pull this right.

first guy i've seen on skirt was while living in London.
a close and very dear frind of mine that i used to party a lot with
He had this amazing Gaultier 'scotish' kilt that was
the absolute scream of the season,
note that was twenty years ago, back at '84 or '85
he was wearing his over the knee kilt with metal toe DrMartens high lace boots,
crisp white shirts (Versace) his amazing ties,
(usually under a knitted kind of vest)
he also had this dead cool 'casual' look
matching his kilt with heavy knited cream aran sweaters.

no wonder i cant see nothing new -or extravagant- here...
i mean this is 2003 its been twenty years now, no wonder why this trend never catched up earlier.

i think i should organise an :punk: equal rights skirt wearing group

06-11-2003

You know alot of European(and in the old days alot of American) schoolboys(France,I think)wear pleated skirts and knee socks.

I think the point I was trying to make is,that there is no such thing as dressing as your sex much anymore. Its dressing according to your identity. Dietrich played with androgyny as did David Bowie yet they always remained who they were,as a man and as a woman. I'm not interested in changing my sex but more importantly experimenting with certain things in clothing that I am attracted to. Most times that will be with typically percieved women's garments or certain details equated with the female sex. But never will I come out looking drag.

06-11-2003
Vision of Paradise

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena+Nov 6th, 2003 - 11:35 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lena @ Nov 6th, 2003 - 11:35 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-LolitaLuxe@Nov 6th, 2003 - 9:03 pm

men wear skirts whithout shaving their legs Lo.
Fave shoes are lace up boots, track boots etc there is absolutely no
femminine thing in this. Mini skirts are only worn over trousers,
in a very punk -rebel style. Most skirts i've seen are covering the knee
-at least 10cm- the majority of men's skirts are off ankle length.

think Neo's silhouette with the long black coat.
i could find a guy seriously sexy if he could pull this right.

first guy i've seen on skirt was a close and very dear frind of mine
while living in London. He had this amazing Gaultier 'scotish' kilt that was
the absolute scream of the season, it was back at 84 or 85 the latest.
he was wearing his longish kilt with DrMartens, crisp white shirts (Versace) and amazing ties under a knitted kind of vest, or he had this dead cool 'casual' look matching his kilt with heavy knited cream aran sweaters.
no wonder i cant see nothing new -or extravagant- here...
i mean this is 2003, no wonder why this trend never catched up earlier. [/b][/quote]
lena ,i spend half the year in nyc - they wear kilts like i mentioned in my first post-
but mini skirts i only see on drag queens The article makes it sound like men in nyc are all in skirts. pehaps the fashionista menz, and the punks on st maks have been sporting it sinse the 70's - im quite used to that , i dont think twice

" yo! Vinnieeee! hows my skirt???"

or DeNiro in a skirt?

I dont think most men in NYC will adopt this look

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott@Nov 6th, 2003 - 1:45 pm
You know alot of European(and in the old days alot of American) schoolboys(France,I think)wear pleated skirts and knee socks.

I think the point I was trying to make is,that there is no such thing as dressing as your sex much anymore. Its dressing according to your identity. Dietrich played with androgyny as did David Bowie yet they always remained who they were,as a man and as a woman. I'm not interested in changing my sex but more importantly experimenting with certain things in clothing that I am attracted to. Most times that will be with typically percieved women's garments or certain details equated with the female sex. But never will I come out looking drag.
Sorry to say this, but that whole thing disgusts most women !

06-11-2003
etre soi-meme

Quote:
"Historically, men had the panache when it came to getting dressed. They had the lace, they had the makeup. They dressed exuberantly, it wasn't considered either masculine or feminine. Look at Louis XIV or the Greeks in togas," Gaultier said.

"I'm not trying to put all men in skirts. I just want to give them the freedom to wear a skirt if they want to. Women fought for years to wear trousers."
Quote:
Bolton said he hopes the exhibit at least provokes questions -- if not a change in wardrobe for the average man. "Men's clothing has become so standardized that there's no fun in it anymore. Let's put some fun back in fashion."
more of this interesting CNN article regarding the bravehearts: men-in-skirts exhibition here

06-11-2003

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@Nov 6th, 2003 - 2:32 pm
Quote:
"Historically, men had the panache when it came to getting dressed. They had the lace, they had the makeup. They dressed exuberantly, it wasn't considered either masculine or feminine. Look at Louis XIV or the Greeks in togas," Gaultier said.

"I'm not trying to put all men in skirts. I just want to give them the freedom to wear a skirt if they want to. Women fought for years to wear trousers."
Quote:
Bolton said he hopes the exhibit at least provokes questions -- if not a change in wardrobe for the average man. "Men's clothing has become so standardized that there's no fun in it anymore. Let's put some fun back in fashion."
more of this interesting CNN article regarding the bravehearts: men-in-skirts exhibition here
Precisely what I was saying

06-11-2003
Procrastinator.

Ewan MacGregor can come to my door in a kilt anytime.

http://www.shopstyle.com/users/hboogie
06-11-2003
& b

LOL @ Hboogie!!

This is kinda cool, Christian Dior by John Galliano

V.I.P.

Lena and Scott yous epak my very thought Fashion for me is about personal expression, i have always had an extream intrested in androgeny so this is actually part of my identity/style its something that i liek to show and play with.

Lo* the guy i saw wearing a striped mini skirt was deffinetly on the fem side, he ha dreally harry legs actually and was wearing a bowa with his mini. But he wasnt trying to be drag queen.

any ways I quite like knee length skirts with pants, may be i will do this tomoroe

& b

Quote:
Originally posted by Spacemiu@Nov 6th, 2003 - 8:48 pm
Lena and Scott yous epak my very thought Fashion for me is about personal expression, i have always had an extream intrested in androgeny so this is actually part of my identity/style its something that i liek to show and play with.

right

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
men, skirts