How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-02-2009
windowshopping

men in skirts is nothing new..the Scotsman has been wearing it for centuries. would I wear one? not even if you offered me a kings ransom.

06-02-2009
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilaughead View Post
^It's men's appropriation of clothing that society normally associates with women, just like skirts...

And back off Yu Masui. He's amazing.
This thread as I understand it is about men wearing a garment that today is worn almost exclusively by women in the West ... but not about wearing women's clothes, that's another topic altogether. Here they are making skirts for themselves, or wearing skirts made for men (like kilts).

As for Bryan Boy ... he's amazing alright.

Spike, I think some people (of both genders) are genuinely eccentric. If you're genuinely eccentric, it's very different from deliberate edginess.

08-02-2009
backstage pass

katelovesme

trendsetter

I think a men in a skirt looks terrible :O

10-02-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilaughead View Post
Not necessarily skirts, but in a similar vein. From NYTimes.com The Moment blog: Boys with Birkins.
thanks for this ...
this blog post was mainly a name-dropping thing ....
my problem is that i used to wear clutches and women bag long ago ..... why don't they do something about me ?! i've been wearing them before any of this boys (from 2002 til 2yrs ago) ...

I think we should open a "crossdresser - feminization male wardrobe" thread. I think it's time ... unless it's already open .....
Because it seems men in skirts is just one detail of this "trend" (i see it more cultural than trend) ....

but i swear i keep in mind this thing someone wrote onto this subject that men have nothing to fight for ... why are they wanting to be dressed in women's wardrobe ?!
to balance this once i've heard "men have made women suffer for sooo long with clothing. now it's time for us to suffer with these items"....

Last edited by BerlinRocks; 10-02-2009 at 01:56 AM.
10-02-2009
Stitch:the Hand

^see,that's not a valid argument seeing as these deemed items,was in fact,during a very long period in our history,worn by men either strictly(skirts) or in terms of elements like lace,both sexes. it's moot. people seem to forget men were actually quite the drama-laden romanticists.

i just feel that designers and wearers alike are really trying to re-capture that spirit men had in those days...masculinity with a sensitivity and an elegance we just don't see that much of anymore.

10-02-2009
Power to the 99%

^ Agreed ... men's clothing in general is far more boring and offhand now than it was in, say, Regency England ...

I agree that a thread like you suggest is a good idea, BerlinRocks. I suspect it belongs in Personal Style Feel free to start it if you like ...

PS But we probably want to have it go both ways, i.e., include women wearing men's clothes. I wear Pure Coffee, a scent they emphasized to me at Nordstrom was for MEN, and that's about as close as I get

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 10-02-2009 at 12:47 PM.
10-02-2009
backstage pass

In my opinion a cute guy with a skirt looks super hot! But not in disguise, just a simple tshirt and a skirt.

10-02-2009
backstage pass

I always link the idea of a man wearing a skirt to industrial/hardcore/rock American bands.
Jonathan Davis, source Kiltmen

Axl Rose, source Pro Corbis

Last edited by INTER; 10-02-2009 at 04:04 PM.
10-02-2009
flaunt the imperfection

i agree that cross dressing is another topic altogether adn it's kind of funny we don't have that thread already in PS...

we have more specific things like men in pantyhose or make up for men and i think we might even have a thread in the shoe section about men in high heels...

but nothing that is all inclusive...
i think that we have always focused more on fashion items...
and cross dressing isn't really about fashion...it's about something else...
i dont' think we have many cross dressing members- if any...

sometimes they join...but they never stay very long here...

10-02-2009
flaunt the imperfection

inter- so good to see you posting hun!...:p

those pics are HOT!!!!...
yummy scrummy boys in skirts!!..

gimme some!!!

10-02-2009
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
i agree that cross dressing is another topic altogether adn it's kind of funny we don't have that thread already in PS...

we have more specific things like men in pantyhose or make up for men and i think we might even have a thread in the shoe section about men in high heels...

but nothing that is all inclusive...
i think that we have always focused more on fashion items...
and cross dressing isn't really about fashion...it's about something else...
i dont' think we have many cross dressing members- if any...

sometimes they join...but they never stay very long here...
Well ... I had in mind not so much a RuPaul thread, but a thread about those of us who buy something intended for the opposite gender. I know we have lots of members who do this ... men who buy a plain women's bag, or a women's jacket ... or a brooch ... and then wear it with other stuff from the men's department. Women who buy things in the boys' department, either because it suits their figure better, or it's cheaper ... women who wear their boyfriends' clothes. Women who buy Dior Homme. We have a thread about shopping in departments other than your own, but I think this is a bit different ...

10-02-2009
Power to the 99%

Here's our new thread ... http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...sex-76473.html

13-02-2009
backstage pass

Well, I think the idea of the skirt it depends on who´s wearing it and the kind of skirt it is. I don´t see any femenine in Jonathan Davis´costumes or attitude to be honest, or cross dressing at all.
I remember some time ago in the What are you wearing today, this guy called Neofinitia with a some sort of skirt used in martial arts. He looked really hot, and very masculin.

08-05-2009
fashion insider

Personally, Im in love w/ the recent CdG man-skirts for SS09, particularly the longer ones (not so much w/ the knee-length). The Barneys shot definitely piques my interest more than the runway style.

(source: Cole Mohr thread/modelhommes.com....style.com)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p25.jpg (132.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 00260m.jpg (34.2 KB, 11 views)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
men, skirts