How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-11-2003
Mannikin

Men in skirts? OFCOURSE!

07-11-2003
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally posted by LolitaLuxe@Nov 6th, 2003 - 1:03 pm

sarongs, kilts OK.....mini skirts???? i think that is too overtly feminin. shoot me
i think so too. of course, kilt is different, because it's part of heritage. tunics are diffrent too, because people had a different lifestyle then. the did not have to go the office, for instance i can't imagine my boss (a chubby, short man) in a tunic or a sarong, sorry...

also, even women don't wear skirts as much as used too, specially in winter. pants are just more practical & modern, IMO. i still love skirts, and i actually look better in them, but pants are just awesome. why would a man want to make things more complicated for him by pulling on a skirt?

BTW, i have not seen a SINGLE man in new york in a skirt...except, for those in drag, as Lolita pointed out

07-11-2003
Stitch:the Hand

That's the thing it isn't for everyone. But most men should be given more choice than what Gaultier called the "standardized wardrobe" of three-piece suits,khakis,jeans,t'shirts etc.

07-11-2003
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott@Nov 7th, 2003 - 10:48 am
That's the thing it isn't for everyone. But most men should be given more choice than what Gaultier called the "standardized wardrobe" of three-piece suits,khakis,jeans,t'shirts etc.
It depends on the purpose behind choosing clothing. Consciously or not, women dress to attract men and men dress to attract women. If men want to attract women, they won't dress in skirts.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by tealady+Nov 7th, 2003 - 8:45 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tealady @ Nov 7th, 2003 - 8:45 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Scott@Nov 7th, 2003 - 10:48 am
It depends on the purpose behind choosing clothing. Consciously or not, women dress to attract men and men dress to attract women. If men want to attract women, they won't dress in skirts. [/b][/quote]
hahahhahhahhahah TEALADY thats the best i have read in a long time
..........;it is sooo true. which man looks attractive in a skirt? i cant think of ONE
not even the best looking men in this world would look sexy in that look. IMO

weet tweet tweet @w_i_p_monaco
08-11-2003
& b

No skirts for Ali then

yes

i dont know if i could ever wear a skirt.......i mean......i dont think it would look right with anything else

with a woman they wear heels and tight tops to make it look sexy.......whats a man supposed to do?

08-11-2003
slightly dizzy

Like others have already stated, a man in a skirt doesn't have to look feminine.

When I think skirts for men I think of Asian/Arabic/African style somehow. Long, simple and muted. Sarong style, sort of. Not at all what we consider "women's skirts". A man's skirt is much more utilitarian and could be paired with brogues, sandals, Dr Martens or other kinds of shoes. It's about replacing trousers with skirts, not sexing things up! (Well, unless you want to try that...)

Think about waiters with their black pants and a really long black apron, or some traditional "exotic" man with a long tunic or sarong with a sweater and a blazer. That's the kind of silhouette I'd like if I was wearing a skirt.

Saying that men in skirts are ridiculous and unsexy is just prejudist IMO. But to each their own, as always.

V.I.P.

well if its considered a "dress" i totally adore men in DISHDASHAs (traditional arabic men uniform) black or white. but they are superlong and touch the floor

weet tweet tweet @w_i_p_monaco
08-11-2003

I must use yet another example from Jurgi Persoons because this is the way I would wear skirts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00007.L.JPG (40.4 KB, 116 views)

08-11-2003
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott@Nov 8th, 2003 - 9:59 pm
I must use yet another example from Jurgi Persoons because this is the way I would wear skirts.
But that's a man in drag who wants to look like a girl coming home from parochial school!

windowshopping

I'm a hetero male who has embraced the whole skirt style since the summer of '99 when I started wearing Emporio Armani sarongs...I'm also a hetro male!

During my honeymoon with sarongs, I caught sight of a long skirt in a window display and wondered out loud to my friend, "I wonder how that would look on a guy?" He suggested I try it on. I felt devistated walking into this trendy women's store (in the mall no less!) and asking the attractive young sales girl if I could try on the skirt in the window. Getting the skirt on was easy compared with trying to convince the salesgirl that I seriously wanted to try on the skirt. I was sold on the skirt after my heterosexual friend remarked that it made my butt look good. Since purchasing that skirt in 2000, I hunted for designer men's pieces that create the skirt silhouette. My collection ranges from ankle-length tunics to Gaultier capri-pants with a skirt back attachment.

However, I will agree that skirts are not chick magnets when worn by guys. I abstain from skirts when I'm trolling for the opposite sex. I wear the skirts when I'm out primarily with friends or at times when I just couldn't give a F*** what others are thinking.

That said, I try to offset my skirt-like bottoms with hyper-masculine tops and footwear. Oh, if jeans/pants are worn underneath than anything goes.

08-11-2003
windowshopping

Anyone remember the Rolling Stone Magazine cover where Brad Pitt was wearing the sun dress??? He still managed to look cool!

Peace

09-11-2003

That's exactly how I feel. Since I have such a passion for tailoring it kind of meshes together rather nicely.

And that lovely guy in that picture just so happens to be wearing leather trousers underneath his calf-length hem. I had a closer inspection,yes

09-11-2003
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by tealady+Nov 8th, 2003 - 8:57 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tealady @ Nov 8th, 2003 - 8:57 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Scott@Nov 8th, 2003 - 9:59 pm
But that's a man in drag who wants to look like a girl coming home from parochial school!

[/b][/quote]
are yous erious?

honestly he is nto at all in drag he looks more like a punks chool boy than a women

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
men, skirts