How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-05-2011
tfs star

I think those who are like "men have no business wearing skirts (or shouldn't wear skirts" is somewhat bringing up a double standard. I know the femmes on tFS will probably agree, but some people will think it's okay (or fashionable at least) for a femme to wear homme clothing or menswear for women, but it is NOT okay for hommes to wear femme wear (like skirts and/or heels)? Men have worn skirts as well as high heels LONG before both became staples for femmes. I'm not saying I would wear a skirt, but I'm pretty fine with males who wear feminine clothing. Fashion is about art and expression. And if it means that a guy wants to look and feel good wearing a skirt, so be it. It may seem distasteful to see a male in a skirt, but... it's fashion. Many just see men in skirts as taboo. It is not so much taboo if a male wants to wear skirts and feels comfortable wearing them and can pull some looks off in them. If anything, this is just about expression through the means of fashion.

12-05-2011
windowshopping

men can wear skirts. there's no restriction. but i think they'll just look stupid in them

25-05-2011
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M. View Post
I think those who are like "men have no business wearing skirts (or shouldn't wear skirts" is somewhat bringing up a double standard. I know the femmes on tFS will probably agree, but some people will think it's okay (or fashionable at least) for a femme to wear homme clothing or menswear for women, but it is NOT okay for hommes to wear femme wear (like skirts and/or heels)? Men have worn skirts as well as high heels LONG before both became staples for femmes. I'm not saying I would wear a skirt, but I'm pretty fine with males who wear feminine clothing. Fashion is about art and expression. And if it means that a guy wants to look and feel good wearing a skirt, so be it. It may seem distasteful to see a male in a skirt, but... it's fashion. Many just see men in skirts as taboo. It is not so much taboo if a male wants to wear skirts and feels comfortable wearing them and can pull some looks off in them. If anything, this is just about expression through the means of fashion.
Amen! I agree. I don't know if I would wear one myself but I like the fact that I can do it if I want to and call it fashion. Because it is. And besides, I don't think Marc Jacobs looks like a girl with those boots underneath it?

Last edited by daancouzijn; 25-05-2011 at 05:18 AM.
30-05-2011
backstage pass

I like tall men with long hair in floor-length skirts. I think the whole play on androgyny is beautiful and very fitting for the current "fashion climate"

tfs star

You know, when I first thought of skirts for men, I thought of long skirts. I wanted to be safe and realistic (as in what I would actually wear)- a long denim jean skirt would be more than enough for me if I was looking for a skirt to wear. It would HAVE to be an airy or spacious skirt for me to wear so I can feel comfortable as I walk by. No sheer or super-lightweight skirts for me, though.

These are at least things I'd look into if I seriously considered wearing a skirt. I'd probably take it a step further with some cute feminine shoes (without overdoing it) if I was really ambitious.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiV View Post
I like tall men with long hair in floor-length skirts. I think the whole play on androgyny is beautiful and very fitting for the current "fashion climate"
Absolutely true

tfs star

Um, no.

(source: lovelyish.com)

04-05-2012
tfs star

Um, YES!

(source: zimbio.com via getty)

04-05-2012
V.I.P.

^
Marc tries way to hard..

I don't mind men in skirts but some can pull it off better then others.

06-05-2012
tfs star

i'd never wear a skirt myself

11-05-2012
scenester

Men can definitely wear and look good in skirt. It's like every piece of clothes, you just have to choose the good one. Men wore already some kind of skirts during the Roman empire and referring to what I've seen in some movies, it didn't look that bad. I even dare to say that it was kind of sexy.

13-05-2012
rising star

I agree that some men just can't pull it off.

15-05-2012
tfs star

Maybe the biggest deterrent to this would be the fear of looking too awkward wearing a skirt. I doubt an average homme could sport something like a high-low/mullet skirt, for example. Just like any fashion, confidence is more important than trying to pull off certain looks. Confidence can really be every bit as important as being able or capable of pulling off certain looks.

Here is how I look at it. There are some femmes out there who don't like dresses or don't have a dress that suits them well. The reality is that there IS that dream dress out there even for those who feel they will ever find a dress they are most comfortable with. If there is a dream dress for any femme (even if a femme can ever find/wear that dream dress), then there is at least a dream skirt for a homme to wear. I noted long ago that I would be okay with a floor-length jean skirt. Perhaps even a long jean skirt that flares outward from the knees down (like a mermaid skirt).

Even if you think you'll look awkward, there is at least some skirt (or even a dress if you're REALLY ambitious) that us hommes can wear and look great in. It all depends on what you look for in a skirt and if you really feel confident sporting one. You don't have to be Andrej Pejic or YouTube's GregoryGORGEOUS to confidently wear a skirt (or a dress). It's all about confidence.

rising star

Of course you would need to know how to pull it off since it is not an easy garment to wear, but im definitely excited about this trend in menswear and i hope it evolves and becomes something more generally accepted.

30-05-2012
front row

Never been a fan of men wearing skirts, I never knew Sting wore one until I saw that picture.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
men, skirts