How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-03-2013
fashion elite

sorry, it's from zimbio.

22-03-2013
tfs star

Klaus Nomi, Joey Arias & David Bowie (all in Mugler) from SNL. Insert ALL the good Smilies here (src: Out Magazine's FB page)

BTW:if anybody's interested, here's a link with a clip, which is blocked on my computer..Very cool story
http://www.out.com/entertainment/mus...ght-live-bowie

Last edited by eugenius; 22-03-2013 at 09:49 AM.
22-03-2013
V.I.P.

I saw an image once of a young man in really baggy basketball athletic shorts and this sort of resembled a skirt. I think that is a good way to incorporate this trend without going all the way with it in a society where its not deemed appropriate. I for one, am all for men in skirts, if done well.

22-03-2013
tfs star

^^I think that's the thing about the whole men-in-skirts look: there's a very fine line between "done well" and "done not-so-well." I've either seen it either look really great or look really silly, with practically no gray area in between.

22-03-2013
tfs star

Comfort is a BIG part of fashion no matter what style(s) we are discussing. So if you don't feel comfortable wearing or trying a certain trend or style, you're not going to like it as much. That's why I said I would prefer long skirts or maxi skirts because those would be the ones I'd feel most comfortable in. I also would prefer denim skirts since most of my outings are mostly casual. If I could freely wear whatever I want, I'd surely would wear a long jean skirt different from all the average jeans I wear.

You shouldn't say that hommes shouldn't try the skirt look just because some can look completely awkward. That's like saying a trend shouldn't be tried by us regular folks only because one or two celebrities can wear it best. If nobody believed a male could wear a skirt and look and feel comfortable and stylish, then we wouldn't even bother trying to make it even remotely chic. I at least find some fashion value in a male sporting a skirt. I don't care even if it's an athletic skort that hommes try to make stylish- this CAN be made stylish on a male. There are still just too many different factors as to why this can't eventually made into something wearable and trendy for us males. And I think until we get over those factors, skirts for men isn't going to catch fire among all or most of us fashionable males.

Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenius View Post
^^I think that's the thing about the whole men-in-skirts look: there's a very fine line between "done well" and "done not-so-well." I've either seen it either look really great or look really silly, with practically no gray area in between.
In real life, I don't think I've ever seen it not be fine. Right out of the gate you know the guy's gonna have to have balls to even try it ... and that means it's gonna work.

16-04-2013
front row

I think that G-Dragon from Big Bang is someone who can wear skirt and look really awesome. If you don't know who G-Dragon is or what Big Bang is, well Big Bang is a South Korean music group and G-Dragon is the leader. He's quite well known as a fashionista.

These 2 pictures below are from Harper Bazaar's Korea August 2012

These last 3 were taken when he performed

all pictures are from oddnessweirdness.blogspot.com/

Last edited by tangerine; 16-04-2013 at 01:26 PM. Reason: links in credits are not permitted
29-04-2013
flaunt the imperfection

^^love those shots...!

i don't think this was ever posted here...
givenchy ad...
it's kind of killer...

vogue.it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fb295fd9426957e4445167973c7231a6.jpg (116.9 KB, 5 views)

08-05-2013
flaunt the imperfection

video-
Selon Desir by Greek choreographer Adonis Foniadakis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzWjWloM3o0

all the men and women wear the same style of skirt in various fabrications...
i think it works really well...

08-05-2013
tfs star

^^Very cool, indeed

Dior Homme, FW04..where are the other skirts from this collection? I remember seeing 3 or 4 models.

(src: Pinterest user Tiaan Schutte)

08-05-2013
backstage pass

There's a time and place for men in skirts.

Obviously, certain countries and cultures wear skirts-- or an equivalent, like sarongs or kaftans, born out of practicality. Kilts are probably the most masculine versions of the skirts.

As for all the fashion versions... Yeah, I think as a creative statement within the context of fashion, they're fine and make a statement. I just don't care to make a statement with wearing something so impractical. Westwood and Gaultier's take on the classic kilt has always been beautiful-- even Hedi's floor-length kilt is graceful and gruffly beautiful, because they remain masculine to me, but it's still for a certain time and place, and not everyday wear. But that image of Bowie and company in those skirts look so foolish to me, because they just look like women's skirts. And as beautiful as Simon Nessman is, putting him in a mini or clingy sheath dress just looks fetishistic and nothing else. I mean, a man in a kilt, or a sarong (when he's somewhere in the Pacific) looks appropriate. But when he's in the streets of NYC and he's wearing a mini, or a clingy sheath dress/skirt is just foolish-looking and impractical. I would need to sit in a certain manner so my crotch isn't exposed; My bulge would be prominent all the time if I'm wearing a clingy skirt; a pencil skirt would limit my movement... Just so damn impractical. That's why women took to pants so quickly, because they wanted the practicality, why would men want to burden themselves with wearing a skirt, other than to make a statement? To each his own of course, but I'll pass.

14-05-2013
flaunt the imperfection

had a funny chat with my dad about men in skirts throughout the years...
priest vestments, monk cassocks, ancient greek and roman tunics, japanese kimonos...

he went to school in a seminary in Sicily so he's quite familiar with the concept...
they all wore the vestments and the big hat...
if i can find a pic to scan i will post it here...
:p

14-05-2013
windowshopping

i personally wouldn't quite go for a guy who's wearing a skirt to be FASHIONABLE... but considering how many photos there are out there about it, it may be a trend, but i dont think the majority of guys would go for it, would they?

14-05-2013
fashion elite

we should make a campaign about it, like Brad's Chanel number 5. hard pushing it, and it will work!

16-05-2013
backstage pass

I really wish I could see more men embracing skirts in this day and age on a daily basis, over the pants or not... When done right, I find it very attractive. *Pencil skirts, or any kinf of tight skirt definitely aside.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
men, skirts