How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-10-2005
V.I.P.

^ Actually, Zara is not as bad as some other stores....

12-10-2005
slightly dizzy

Zara is slightly better quality, they're "high-end" copiers...

12-10-2005
front row

Collecting quirky stuff? Looking down on pop music? Wearing vintage rocker tees and thrift-store stuff?

Many of the elements of this list (though not every single one of them) sound like elements of typical American hipster-chic, which has been around for quite a while and isn't new (didn't the "Hipster Handbook" come out a couple of years ago?)

Last edited by Sunkist; 12-10-2005 at 08:28 PM.
12-10-2005
windowshopping

Yay for ANTI-fashion.

13-10-2005
urd
tfs star

I've done a lot of fleamarket digging this week. I had a lot of fun and I found a lot of cool shoes very cheap. so yey anti-labels

13-10-2005
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tott
^ High street = cheaper designer knock-offs and mass-market stores. Zara, H&M...
thanks! i read a 1999 interview with kate moss and she said she told vogue (in 1996) that she mostly bought vintage, and they said that they were going to write that she shops high-street instead. so i was always wondering what it meant.

13-10-2005
V.I.P.

This article makes it seem like you're supposed to buy into a certain specific lifestyle in order to be 'charity shop chic'. Being 'anti-fashion' is as ubiquitous, if not more than being dressed in head to toe labels. I say just go with what you feel like going with. There's no need to break your back just to do charity shop chic. I go thrift shopping and buy vintage usually out of neccessity and lack of budget, not because I wanna prescribe to some 'I tried so hard to make this sweater look vintage' hipster thing!

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
13-10-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
This article makes it seem like you're supposed to buy into a certain specific lifestyle in order to be 'charity shop chic'. Being 'anti-fashion' is as ubiquitous, if not more than being dressed in head to toe labels. I say just go with what you feel like going with. There's no need to break your back just to do charity shop chic. I go thrift shopping and buy vintage usually out of neccessity and lack of budget, not because I wanna prescribe to some 'I tried so hard to make this sweater look vintage' hipster thing!
Yeah i get what you mean, by trying to look like you havent tried then you are trying .. if that makes any sense. I think its rediculas the ammoun t of tops etc. that are all brand enw that have vintage etc. scrawled on them. Make me want to gag.

And susie bubble what ever your doing style wise, vinatge, or whatever its working ... so keep doing it .. I love your style.

12-12-2005
scenester

I AgreE W/U
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed_Kandi
This article made me realize how people are such name brand whores. Everywhere I look, some unoriginal, follower is buying a Louis Vuitton bag just because it's considered "the it thing ".

People have no sense of originality, individuality, anymore and they're all a bunch of fashion pawns influenced by the media and society - Wanting to be accepted and praised with the newest Prada this or Burberry that.
I SOOO AgrEE WiTh YoU.... PeOpLe cAN LooK Soo sTYlIsh WitH VinTaGe cLoThEs, WhIcH ThEY cOuLD bUy @ A THrIft StOre...

Last edited by softgrey; 09-03-2006 at 06:19 PM.
12-12-2005
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed_Kandi
This article made me realize how people are such name brand whores. Everywhere I look, some unoriginal, follower is buying a Louis Vuitton bag just because it's considered "the it thing ".

People have no sense of originality, individuality, anymore and they're all a bunch of fashion pawns influenced by the media and society - Wanting to be accepted and praised with the newest Prada this or Burberry that.
Agreed - seeing people trying (and often failing) to be it makes me quite ill... but as far as thriftstoring it goes its not really a new trend.. it comes back every few years or so, and I have always shopped at thrift stores for the simple fact of being a student and not having loads of ca$h.

People need to WAKE UP and make up their own minds.

Last edited by softgrey; 09-03-2006 at 06:19 PM.
12-12-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal-on-metal
Really, softgrey? I thought it was so lame and about 5 years too late. The whole high/low mix thing is certainly not a new trend. And people who follow this contrived "checklist" of how to look "undone" are just ridiculous. If they treat this like just another trend, they might as well be dressed to the hilt in the latest Gucci.
exactly

12-12-2005
rising star

Quote:
Today, I’m wearing Paper Denim & Cloth jeans, which cost about £120 but which I’d ideally pretend I picked up on eBay for quarter that
That statment reminds me of the scenesters on the street style thread. Oy, and beat and mods are two very separate ideals. But then again they bastardized bohemian to equal tacky beaded tops and tiered skirts.

13-12-2005
dsq
backstage pass

I guess I am the anti-anti-fashion person here. I do not shop at second hand stores nor charity shops. I prefer my clothes to be new and not broken in by someone i never knew.

01-01-2006
rising star

hehe i like the bit about primark. its very true .

02-01-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmix
it reminds of that weird derelicte collection in zoolander...homeless chic or something
you beat me to it. MAGNUM!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
charity, chic, shop