How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-01-2006
trendsetter

^ I loved Zoolander =) I can't wait for number 2!

I personally hate it when people dress head to toe in designer... I do have a few things designer but I always mix it with a bunch of other things. I'm not above scrounging around in vintage shops =P But I really hate it when people try to look all hipster by ripping their new jeans/dirtying their converse or vans on purpose just to look like they are anti-fashion. If you call the people, who buy LV for the sole purpose of an "it" bag, clones, then the ones who do the whole vintage look are basically clones too.

27-01-2006
windowshopping

charity shops are the way forward. you can find something individual, with history and the fact that you have to rummage adds to the enjoyment of it. whats more you're giving to charity. can't be bad.
on wednesday in my local "Scope" shop i picked up an original black n white dog tooth checked sixties mod mini dress, for £7 pounds. why go to Beyond Retro or somewhere that claims to be cheap and vintage when they just buy stuff from charity shops in the first place, and bump the price up?

27-01-2006
rising star

anyone else feel like alughing when they see topshop's "vintage" section?

27-01-2006
V.I.P.

^Maybe laugh and cry at the same time? Coz the prices are so steep,they're laughable, yet I love all the choice dresses they have, and I can't afford it (or I'm not willing to part with my money when I can get the same kind of gear cheaper when I'm bothered to rummage elsewhere).

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
27-01-2006
trendsetter

I thought the article was kinda pointless. You can have your own style AND buy designer brands too.

27-01-2006
fashion insider

Quote:
I guess I am the anti-anti-fashion person here. I do not shop at second hand stores nor charity shops. I prefer my clothes to be new and not broken in by someone i never knew.
I agree. I have no problem with someone being 'origional' but someone who is completely anti-fashion, anti-desginer just for the sake of 'rebelling' is to me completely stupid and somewhat immature

That aricle about 'How to...' is so hypocritical...having your own style means not abiding by a certain set of rules

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkeyedmender
anyone else feel like alughing when they see topshop's "vintage" section?
Well it seems H&M does quite well with their 'vintage' inspired clothing - as well as other popular stores - Urban Outfitters, etc...

I know vintage shopping is an all time thing but I have to agree that it does seem to be a trend these days - and MUCH more acceptable.

07-02-2006
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss mary
charity shops are the way forward. you can find something individual, with history and the fact that you have to rummage adds to the enjoyment of it. whats more you're giving to charity. can't be bad.
on wednesday in my local "Scope" shop i picked up an original black n white dog tooth checked sixties mod mini dress, for £7 pounds. why go to Beyond Retro or somewhere that claims to be cheap and vintage when they just buy stuff from charity shops in the first place, and bump the price up?
Iíve done the opp shop thing for ages, but now that it has become fashionable the shops have caught on and now they donít sell second hand, they sell vintage for about
3 times the price. God Iím poor, damn those clones!!!!!!

07-02-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie
Iíve done the opp shop thing for ages, but now that it has become fashionable the shops have caught on and now they donít sell second hand, they sell vintage for about
3 times the price. God Iím poor, damn those clones!!!!!!
I know exactly what you mean. It's really frusterating to walk in to a store where you used to be able to save a few bucks, and end up paying what you would for something new! Also, all these "clones" are pretty aggressive, they always manage to get the good stuff first.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
charity, chic, shop