How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-04-2005
backstage pass

Loomstate organic jeans
Has anyone actually bought or tried a pair? The idea and the presentation is so cool.. But how do they fit? Can we buy online? http://www.loomstate.org

Last edited by utopia; 04-08-2005 at 04:46 AM. Reason: reshifting thread to entail organic clothing in general :)

06-04-2005
backstage pass

They look cute but whats organic about them?

www.styleisagift.com
www.myspace.com/styleisagift
06-04-2005
scenester

The detailing of the pants is really nice!

07-04-2005
V.I.P.

^^ organic cotton

Great website, cute jeans..

07-04-2005
windowshopping

Ill buy organic food, but I really don't care if my jeans are organic. Just give me a nice cut.

07-04-2005
V.I.P.

I don't really like the jeans themselves, but I think using organic material is really important and I'm glad it's becoming more wide spread.

rising star

you can buy loomstate on revolveclothing.com

03-08-2005
rising star

also on shopbop.com and it says that you can wear them in the shower and wash with shampoo which i though was pretty neat.

03-08-2005
gromosexual

'organic' is such a sales pitch when it comes to clothes.

but maybe its for people who just prefer organic things in general, I don't know...

what I do know is that the pesticides won't get in your skin!

PS. If organic is actually better for clothes or just better in any reason (is it because it supports small-scale cotton farms? that would be a good reason), some one tell me because I personally am just assuming that since you are not ingesting it, the organicity of it doesnt matter...

Last edited by Nader; 03-08-2005 at 09:45 PM.
03-08-2005
Soviet Camaro

One important thing is, for everything grown organically, there is that much less pesticides/chemicals going into the soil, and the water table. Generally less poisoning of the entire planet. Everything is connected by water...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nader
'organic' is such a sales pitch when it comes to clothes.

but maybe its for people who just prefer organic things in general, I don't know...

what I do know is that the pesticides won't get in your skin!

PS. If organic is actually better for clothes or just better in any reason (is it because it supports small-scale cotton farms? that would be a good reason), some one tell me because I personally am just assuming that since you are not ingesting it, the organicity of it doesnt matter...

windowshopping

Loomstate is a side project from Rogan so you can expect some good quality there.

04-08-2005
gromosexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine
One important thing is, for everything grown organically, there is that much less pesticides/chemicals going into the soil, and the water table. Generally less poisoning of the entire planet. Everything is connected by water...
good point

ok, if i had two identical garments in front of me, one being organic and the other not, i would choose organic, but i don't think i'd go out of my way to get it like i would organic foodstuffs.

04-08-2005
trendsetter

Oookydoky, and this is where I come in :p! I also used to think it's important to eat organic but didn't care about wearing organic...pesticides dont seep in your body through your jeans do they?! ....until I learned this...

*The WHO estimates that as many as 20,000 deaths and 3 million chronic health problems are caused by poisoning related to agricultural pesticides globally each year. A further 200,000 farmers commit suicide as a result of debt caused by pesticide purchase.

*Worldwide, conventional cotton farming uses only about 3 percent of total farmland but consumes 25 percent of the chemical pesticides and fertilizers used globally. In India, it's as much as 50 percent of pesticides used on as little as 5 percent of the total agricultural land.

*At least three of the chemicals used heavily in cotton production are in the "dirty dozen" - so dangerous that 120 countries agreed at a UNEP conference in 2001 to ban them, but so far this hasn't happened. Why not?

*Organic cotton is grown in approximately 15 countries, but still represents only 0.6% of global cotton production. We want to increase this figure to 10% by 2010.

(www.peopletree.com)

...wow...

04-08-2005
backstage pass

^^ and the bleaching is out of control!

Also, a plus for organic clothing is the local jobs it creates. Usually more expensive, but better quality. And they say that organic items get softer and more yummy with washings.

04-08-2005
Power to the 99%

I have a number of organic cotton things, and the cotton is very soft and nice. The reasons for supporting organic cotton have already been outlined perfectly, not much to add there. I consider it a real problem that seldom do organic fabrics and fashion meet. In addition to organic cotton, no reason why designers can't use eco-friendly fibers like linen, hemp, and Tencel more.

Patagonia is a good source for organic cotton Ts, although they discontinued my favorite, as well as other stuff. All their cotton is 100% organic. Sundance catalog has organic stuff too, including Ts. Gaiam has nightgowns and sheets.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
clothing, organic