How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-04-2007
Press escape to continue.

^ At least it's more straight forward that 'paper or plastic'!

I was helping my great aunt do a massive spring cleaning last year, and I came across a small drawer full of paper clothing from the 60s that she collected during her early dressmaking adventures. The paper dresses and shirts were not terribly wearable for more than an afternoon, she said - perhaps invented for those who fail to use their bibs at dinner? She was apparently studying pattern making at the time, and her teacher (Japanese) used paper clothing to teach pattern making through deconstruction. Also, instead of using muslin to premake a complicated piece, she used all kinds of paper, doilies, all sorts of readily degradable materials, and glue and tape and god knows what else.

In our world of limited resources, perhaps there should be a new trend for such materials in the fashion industry. I wonder if the papercloth materials can be made in a healthy manner, vegetable dyes, green manufacturing....

10-04-2007
front row

In UK April 07 Vogue there is a photo shoot styled by Charlotte Stockdale of accessories, all the clothes in it are made from paper. I don't have any scans but I'll try find some images. Its a beautiful shoot.

10-04-2007
front row

Designs by Polly Verity
credit - pollyscene.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fashionshowcost.jpg (34.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg pleatedcard.jpg (31.1 KB, 22 views)

10-04-2007
front row

Yes, the paper clothes from before were a backlash to the wars, to rations etc. To buy an outfit you would have to throw away the next day, ran borderline with the zoot suit movement I guess.

Although I fancy the idea because of the great shapes you could possibly get and the different texture and construction, I dont think it could be practical not even for just a day, but a few hours! If you could even sit that is. Going into a paper or crafting store, you will find many different types of papers there. They will have different weights and textures, some will even feel "fuzzy" like fabric. When I was young I used to watch a show called Reading Rainbow. One time a lady showed how to make paper out of blue jeans. She liquified them into a sort of watery pulp until she could get it fine enough to sift through a mesh. Once she had enough to make it paper thick, she pressed it. Once dry, voila! Denim paper. I doubt that it was strong enough to be anything but paper though.

Didnt Campbell's soup offer a paper dress too back in the60s?

trendsetter

funny but very briliant!

Press escape to continue.

Athens, Benaki Museum - Pireos Street Annexe
1/3/2007 - 15/4/2007

Paper dresses first appeared in the USA in 1966, and within two years they had flooded the market, creating a fashion that perfectly expressed the pop culture of the sixties.

The cultural organization ATOPOS has perhaps the largest collection of sixties paper dresses in the world, which it is presenting in an original installation designed by Normal Studio, a French industrial design firm.
The exhibition also extends its topic to the study of the unknown use of paper in the history of garments, presenting a wide range of paper garments, ranging from Edo-era Japanese kimonos to garments for sanitary use, as well as examples of designer wear from the fertile minds of John Galliano, Issey Miyake, Hussein Chalayan, Walter Van Beirendonck and others. Pride of place goes to the 1966 FRAGILE Dress from the Brooklyn Museum, Brooklyn, New York, a paper dress painted by Andy Warhol for Nico.

Finally sixties fashion for paper can become a source of inspiration. ATOPOS put out a call to fashion designers and artists, to use the ATOPOS collection as their inspiration and the exhibition includes creations by Sophia Kokosalaki, Michael Cepress, Deux Hommes, Marcus Tomlinson, Dionysis Kavallieratos, Jackie Nickerson and the internationally renowned stage designer Bob Wilson.
Source: paperforager.wordpress.com

trendsetter

paper? Okay....sounds a bit silly IMO

backstage pass

There were some paper dresses at Tao SS 07!

(style.com)
interesting idea...not very practical, but the dresses are beautiful none the less!

Last edited by Jane Loves Marc; 10-04-2007 at 10:06 PM.
13-04-2007
front row

^ Those really are incredibly detailed and beautifully crafted. Thanks for posting.

16-04-2007
More Old Skool Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Loves Marc
There were some paper dresses at Tao SS 07!
Those need a disclaimer, like a bottle of Bacardi 151.

'DO NOT smoke while drinking/wearing!'

V.I.P.

I am glad people have enjoyed this thread

I would like to try wearing paper --- if not in white colour, but a more natural, creamy white. I wonder if the paper could be laced with something to make it more lasting and easier to wear?

I think it would be a brilliant idea to buy an outfit, wear it, and then throw it away. It would waste far too much wood and power for my self-consciousness though, but as an idea I think it is rather beautiful.

Thank you everyone for posting material. I am especially in love with Tao's dresses. I think wearing something made of paper might not be for everyday outfits, but for parties and celebrations. My dream is a wedding gown made of paper.

Has anyone tried wearing clothes made out of paper? Is there a designer or a company that is concentrated on making clothes out of paper?

I know many companies use shoe laces made of brown paper, but other than that nothing pops to my mind. I think I have just seen great photographs of children after WWII wearing shoes with paper laces.

V.I.P.

Tao by Comme Des Garcons S/S 07
firstview.com

Last edited by Whitelinen; 28-05-2007 at 02:29 PM.
19-04-2007
More Old Skool Than You

Makes you wonder if you can get paper cuts huh? There should be paper clothes for kids, when they're eating spaghetti.

But in all seriousness, all the Tao stuff is awesome. Thank you for posting it. Would hemp count as a paper? I'm sure it could woven somehow. There has to be a plant or two out there that's strong enough to be used as a paperish fabric. I'm thinking like papyrus or something. Something with paper mache would be interesting as hell too. Hmm...

V.I.P.

I think paper, even regular paper, could be used as clothes if it would be laced with something... not sure what.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily marie
Is this like edible underwear?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
07, paper, s or s, trend