How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-05-2007
urd
tfs star

wasn't there an editorial on vogue that featured paper clothing? I'll try to find it

25-05-2007
V.I.P.

Yes urd It was mentioned in this thread a couple of times now :p The issue is Vogue UK April 2007.

The link to it is here, for anyone interested It's a must-see!
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...7-post106.html

26-05-2007
etre soi-meme

love paper imitating fabrics or synthetics, they have this crisp feeling and they seem weightless

i guess the whole paper influnce revival in fashion and decoration is linked with the exploding eco/consious consumption movement

26-05-2007
V.I.P.

Oh, so you mean it's pro-environment?
The way the trend is usually described in the 1960s, it sounds more like waste--being able to throw things away and get another one easily and quickly
But I guess when it is paper, it is bio-degradable and recyclable

26-05-2007
etre soi-meme

^ totally.., it's very bio-eco centered, since paper is an already recycled material, its very enviroment friendly and easily disposable

alternative paper couch and 'chairs' where poping up everywhere at Milano's trendsetting furniture fair last month and those paper feel new tech polyester mixes (see Sander) seem to me as the epitome of modernism.

also, beware
some of the new tech paper feeling wovens (fabrics), get their dry and stiff feel by use of micro metal fibres

those have been around for almost a decade now but they just started 'improving' and now get almost popular since they can get produced at semi-reasonable prices

26-05-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Oh, I didn't make it, WhiteLinen! But I believe it is the paper flower technique. I'll see if I can find instructions online...
Oh no, I didn't mean that you made it (although I am sure you could've) but I thought you mentioned something about learning to make paper yourself etc.

Thank you for your many contributions. You are a true gem to this forum.

rising star

thank you for sharing all the pics and info! it's such an interesting thread!

28-05-2007
Press escape to continue.

^^ Thanks, WhiteLinen.

I just found an interesting designer from Mildred Avendano in Canada who makes paper/cloth clothing at http://www.milaven.com. She hand sews organic pieces from pineapple fabric and paper cloth made using traditional Japanese weaving and starching techniques.

milaven.com

Last edited by SomethingElse; 28-05-2007 at 03:48 PM. Reason: credit photographs - sorry!
30-05-2007
Press escape to continue.

This is an amazing article! http://www.swicofil.com/products/060paperyarn.html about washi a Japanese paper fiber, yarn and fabric. Incredible, I think. I also read that the fabric has been on the market since at least 2000 - I wonder who is using it.

V.I.P.

Ooh I was just looking at that, SomethingElse right after your post on Avendano! I'm so glad she is Canadian. I love her work..It's very light and delicate. The paper doesn't even look like paper.. just like fabric!
Thanks for all the info--I don't know how you find these Canadian ones..(I found a few of your posts on the indie designers thread). I have trouble finding ones I like that are from here, but Avendano, she's wonderful! :p

I realise I've tried paper yarn already myself... except it was a very stiff and thick kind. It was very hard. We used it as base structure in making baskets... I hope to find some of the thinner stuff

31-05-2007
fashion elite

Interesting thread.

Definitely not practically, but beautiful to look at.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
07, paper, s or s, trend