How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-04-2007
V.I.P.

Paper Trend S/S 07
I am not sure if this belongs here, but I couldn't find any more appropriate place for it.

I am fascinated by paper as a material for clothes. I thought to create a thread for clothes made out of paper if anyone else would be interested too. I would like to get to know designers who use paper in their collections.

The yellow dress is from the 60's, I don't know the designer. The white ones are by Sandra Backlund.

From papersites, cameralink and sandrabacklund.

Last edited by ChrissyM; 18-05-2007 at 11:20 PM. Reason: image not working - link messed up page format

08-04-2007
backstage pass

I think it's used more as an art than a wearable garment. I imagine it would be hard to wear, you would have to be super careful not to rip it.

V.I.P.

Well, I guess it depends on what kind of paper is used. I would love to try wearing a garment made out of paper But you are probably right, most of them are not made to be worn.

scenester

Wow, those links are awesome, thanks for sharing! Paper clothes don't sound particularly comfortable but they look amazing! This is an interesting topic though and those pics posted above remind me of the origami inspired pieces from Dior Couture.

09-04-2007
backstage pass

do you know what the process is to make the paper enough like fabric so that it can be made into clothing? i am very interested in learning more about these interesting garments.

09-04-2007
trendsetter

Is this like edible underwear?

09-04-2007
vertebrae by vertebrae

Is this different than the origami-like pieces we've seen lately? I love it personally, I think it's beautiful!!!

09-04-2007
trendsetter

2 other "paper" subsets are that Fed-Ex envelope material that they are making packable jackets out of.
There is also the Jil Sander "graph paper" polyester.

rÍverie

^^ indeed. thanks whitelinen & etrosexualj

09-04-2007
V.I.P.

Paper clothes were all the rage in the 60s--I remember my teachers and classmates (of older generation :p) telling me that. It was part of the 'disposable lifestyle' then.

It is possible to make durable clothes out of paper. Paper made from mulberry trees is very strong. There are ways to make it impervious to water too--I think they say to mix it with a certain oil and bake it in the oven.

BjŲrk here wears the 'Airmail dress' by Hussein Chalayan. It's weight and drape is just like paper, only that it is very strong and waterproof. You can draw pictures easily on it too. It's probably used as paper as well--I remember feeling packages made of this. The fabric is called tyvek.

universalmusic.pl

09-04-2007
rÍverie

^ i was wondering when you'd show up ... thanks gius! and bjork!

09-04-2007
V.I.P.

^I'm touched that you were expecting me
You're welcome, kikidior

09-04-2007
backstage pass

There are also some cotton/paper blends in the current Jil Sander collection. They're around 1/4 to 1/3 paper. Without touching or hearing it you wouldn't necessarily be able to tell that the jackets have paper, but it makes them very light weight, adds a slight crinkling sound when you walk and gives it a little texture.

backstage pass

It seems very "Project Runway" to me. While I think they are very interesting to look at, I can't imagine this trend taking off. But, I may be wrong.

More Old Skool Than You

I've worn Tyvek suits in industrial jobs. I looked like one of the NASA guys in ET at one point in my life. Anyway, Tyvek is what makes you angry when you can't open those seemingly 'paper' envelopes.

Gius, I remember seeing something a while back about 1960's paper clothes. Somebody had a collection of them, still in their wrappers or something. I guess hemp would be considered paper to an extent, right? Papyrus is just smashed up plants, hemp is woven plants. Wait, so is cotton! Hmm... where is the line drawn? I'm confused now.

http://personalprotection.dupont.com/

Last edited by fourboltmain; 09-04-2007 at 09:23 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
07, paper, s or s, trend