How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-10-2013
windowshopping

Parody t-shirts: fan or foe?
I read this post on Garance Doré's blog today and I am trying to figure out my own position on parody t-shirts. Is it counterfeit? humor? love? Can't decide...

http://www.garancedore.fr/en/2013/10...allin-or-what/

I have to say that in my academic research, I've been interested in fans' relationship with pop culture brands (tv, fashion, sport)and thus this is a phenomenon that I find intriguing both personally and professionally.

14-10-2013
front row

Well I know Heidi Slimane hates them, any one that has to do with the Saint Laurent brand gets immediately off the market

14-10-2013
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by VersaceVixen009 View Post
Well I know Heidi Slimane hates them, any one that has to do with the Saint Laurent brand gets immediately off the market
Right. I guess you are referring to this:

http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/artic...y-T-shirt.html

14-10-2013
Power to the 99%

^ I remember seeing the T, but didn't know how upset he was about it ... I think I need one now Hey, Hedi ... Martha Stewart loves the parodies of her. George Bush Sr invited his SNL counterpart (Dana Carvey) to the White House and made sure to have his picture taken with him. I can only conclude you're way less cool than Martha and George ...

15-10-2013
boop

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ I remember seeing the T, but didn't know how upset he was about it ... I think I need one now Hey, Hedi ... Martha Stewart loves the parodies of her. George Bush Sr invited his SNL counterpart (Dana Carvey) to the White House and made sure to have his picture taken with him. I can only conclude you're way less cool than Martha and George ...
Truth!

And even if one finds the parody annoying they can be a good sport about it.

17-10-2013
rising star

I loved them when they first appeared, but now everyone seems to be wearing them (how many parody versions of Celine or Hermes logo have you already seen this month?) and I'm pretty much over them. Except the one that says "Ain't Laurent (without Yves)". I'd definitely wear that.
However, it's a trend I'll most likely be coming back to with nostalgia once it's gone.

17-10-2013
windowshopping

^ I've seen a lot of them as well. But the "Ain't Laurent (without Yves)" is the one that really caught my attention. It seems more personal - right?

17-10-2013
Soviet Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashion doctor View Post
^ I've seen a lot of them as well. But the "Ain't Laurent (without Yves)" is the one that really caught my attention. It seems more personal - right?
Exactly. Homies, Comme des F*ckdown, etc. are simple plays on words, giving putative street cred to luxury brands; the SLP parody is a personal slap at Hedi. I think he overreacted rather childishly, but it is a different situation and I think there is arguably a legitimate concern about brand image there.

V.I.P.

i had the celine me alone shirt when it first came out as well as the comme des f**kdown hat but they get so played out and are very one-dimensional that you just dont want to wear it anymore. I lost my hat last halloween which to me was a sign that it was time for it to go, and i have no idea where the shirt went and I don't miss either .

I don't think its counterfeit I think its a fun way (at first it was now its a little annoying) because these designer's t-shirts can run you $300+ just for a shirt with a logo, at least these had some humor and wit

17-10-2013
rising star

I wonder how many non-fashionistas first heard about brands like Celine or CdG thanks to these tees

17-10-2013
windowshopping

Now its like whatever, I liked the comedy before. I remember when Cara Del. wore hers throughout nyfw last season, it was so edgy. Now its playout I think.

I only have one shirt a celine parody, thats all. Time to go back to junk food and vintage band shirts. "The One and only cheerios"

18-10-2013
V.I.P.

I loved them before they got trendy and i still do.

20-10-2013
windowshopping

I saw a young woman wearing a Homiès, New York one yesterday. I get that it's a play on Hermès, Paris, but does Homies (or Homiès) actually mean anything?

20-10-2013
Power to the 99%

^ Oh yes, it does. Homies is short for home boys. Google should take you right to Urban Dictionary ...

20-10-2013
flaunt the imperfection

i think it's cool if you come up with something yourself, make your own shirt and make some sort of personal statement...
then it's a form of personal expression and one could even argue that it's art...

otherwise, it's just another commercial venture and a way for people to capitalize on the popularity of a brand, or the unpopularity, in the case of saint laurent...

i preferred it when people made their own...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fan, foe, parody, tshirts