How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-01-2007
scenester

Pelosi's Pearls
I know that politics generally has little to do with fashion, but I found this article interesting in terms of thread potential. Maybe it needs to be joined to the other thread involving the recent trend in huge jewels. Or maybe it can be a thread about politically inspired trends (Palestinian scarves? Jackie's pillboxes?). In any case, this from the news:

Pelosi's pearls
STRIKING, CLASSIC STRANDS DEFINE NEW SPEAKER'S SIGNATURE STYLE
By Donna Kato
Mercury News

They're now being called Power Pearls.

As worn by Nancy Pelosi, a strand of pearls now represents elegant authority -- a description that's also been used to describe the congresswoman, the first female Speaker of the House.

As the highest ranking woman in the country, Pelosi's recent fashion choices have been scrutinized almost as much as her political profile. While media pundits and bloggers have debated the color of her Armani suits and the rotation of her Italian shoes -- Ferragamo? Manolo? -- it's been her double-digit millimeter South Seas and Tahitian pearls that have garnered the most attention.

Especially the mixed-color strand of marble-sized spheres she favors with dark suits and tweeds.

``It's `unmatronly' and unique. It shows she's not afraid of innovation, and that's a powerful image,'' says Eve Alfille, a jewelry designer and founder of the Pearl Society who estimates them to be 13 to 14 millimeters in size.

The much-photographed necklace was worn to a news conference the day after her re-election in November and soon after, a pearl wholesaler was fielding dozens of calls for the style, according to the Los Angeles Times. The highest quality strand of similar pearls can cost $20,000 to $80,000.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...g/16459206.htm

www.donnajcarty.co.uk

14-01-2007
V.I.P.

interestingly...
mr blackwell put pelosi on his best dressed list
she's a politician, which means that she doesn't have that much flexibility, but honestly, armani suits and pearls are blah IMO.

06-05-2007
scenester

In my opinion, the most amazing necklace Mrs. Pelosi has, is the Golden South Sea Pearl necklace. I personally ignore the quality of the pearls, (if they have any imperfections, flaws, picks, etc. ) but from what I have seen they are very round, lustrous, and have a beautiful golden color, and seem to be well matched. Golden South Sea pearls are the rarest and most expensive of South Sea Pearls. It takes years to match up a necklace like Mrs Pelosi's.

Last edited by Belapuente; 06-05-2007 at 02:31 PM.
07-05-2007
Power to the 99%

^ Has anyone found any good pictures of Nancy wearing her pearls?

07-05-2007
scenester

Nancy Pelosi's Pearls
I have pictures of Nancy Pelosi wearing her pearls but somehow I cannot upload them. The attachment button is not doing anything. Maybe I can e-mail them to someone who can post them. Mrs. Pelosi has the most amazing SS pearl necklaces I have seen. She is very lucky to afford them. South Sea Pearls are rarer than diamonds. Someone said that diamonds shine by themselves whereas pearls make a woman shine. I believe this is true, the luster of pearls match the shine in our eyes. Chanel herself said that a woman needs miles and miles of pearls. I personally find pearls fascinating, they are alive after all.

08-05-2007
Press escape to continue.

Here are a few couple of Ms. Pelosi in pearls... but she is hardly the originator of the pearl in politics...

lantos.org . nypost.com

scenester

True, Mrs. Pelosi is not the pioneer of pearls in politics, I believe Mrs. Clinton, and Mrs. Rice have a penchant for pearls as well, ..BUT I do not recall seeing anyone with AT LEAST six different South Sea necklaces of that caliber. These necklaces are very rare. Mrs. Pelosi is a very lucky woman....and very distinguished I must say.

08-05-2007
Press escape to continue.

^ Oh yes, I didn't mean to come off as being disparaging. I greatly respect and admire Ms. Pelosi.

I love that Jackie O. almost always wore paste pearls. So New York.

myyearbook.com

Wanderlust

I've never noticed, but pearls are uncommon for women in politics?

08-05-2007
V.I.P.

I just love nancy

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belapuente
In my opinion, the most amazing necklace Mrs. Pelosi has, is the Golden South Sea Pearl necklace. I personally ignore the quality of the pearls, (if they have any imperfections, flaws, picks, etc. ) but from what I have seen they are very round, lustrous, and have a beautiful golden color, and seem to be well matched. Golden South Sea pearls are the rarest and most expensive of South Sea Pearls. It takes years to match up a necklace like Mrs Pelosi's.
Thanks for the information, I really had no idea that they could be so rare!

14-07-2007
scenester

You guys should check out if you have a chance a Dove Silver Tahitian Pearl. Imagine a pearl with the color of the lightest side of aluminum foil. To die for.

14-07-2007
trendsetter

^^ tons of girls where i live have tahitian pearls. they're all over in hawai'i.

14-07-2007
scenester

In Geneva you can see them only in a few fine jewelry stores. The stuff you see here is amazing, they try to bring the best.

I heard pearls are very expensive in Hawaii? Is that so?

Last edited by Belapuente; 14-07-2007 at 06:01 AM.
14-07-2007
trendsetter

I'm not entirely sure. I'm not really big on jewelry, so I don't have anything that's expensive. The only pearls I have in my family are vintage and my family isn't big on pearls. I did look up some prices from a local jewelry company.

This necklace is priced at $3,670. It kind of reminded me of the necklace Pelosi was wearing.

SOURCE: mauidivers.com

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
pearls, pelosi