How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-11-2006
front row

I bought my parka

I think provided they have an absence of fur and puffing (which add a 'ghetto' element) parkas can look very sexy indeed. Especially when worn with something unexpected, like an LBD or a cocktail dress.

And to whomever said parkas and opaque tights? What a team!!!

10-11-2006
V.I.P.

parkas make me wanna

10-11-2006
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithillien
They seem to come into the shops every year and my mum always says she likes them and i say no....They just don't appeal to me lol
well... i persuaded my mum to buy one 'for fun' but i think she hates it already, she says it's 'tacky' and she only wears it to the supermarket

11-11-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estella Mare
i wouldn't even have known some of the jackets pictured here were considered parkas, when i used to have one it was always about army green and that general army reference .... no fur.
Yeah, that's what I thought!

The puffy jackets with the fur are just winter jackets to me. Parka: green army store coat. And wow to that woman from the article being surprised that she looked silly a) wearing something that was not her style but trendy b) a fluffy jacket with heels and a pretty dress to tea drinking. I mean, really. I can be a fashion editor too then.

V.I.P.

These have been around for ages year now in my city .... in fact i dont think they ever went away .. so i just take it for granted ill be wearing one most years.. so comfy and warm i like them .. not the shiney ones though .. and they have to been karki green or grey. They are almost like a classic basic now really I have a new parka atm .. minus the fur .. so is it still a parka ?? but i love it so ... so comfy

15-11-2006
front row

Usually I try to get away with wearing a simple wool coat with a scarf and gloves but sometimes I have no choice but to bust out the parka! January is the worst as the temperature can sometimes drop to -40C (and the wind makes it feel more like -55C) so out comes the parka and the mitts, the heavy knit toques and scarves, wool socks, and thermal underwear. Sexy :p

I am half-sick of shadows

Even though this is APC, (Jean Toutou forgive me) I didn't like it all that much. Then I saw this picture on The Satorialist and I'm thinking of doing some shopping

18-11-2006
front row

OMG...who says Carine doesn't look amazing in that coat? She's modeling the best way to wear a parka-as-a-style-piece: with a sexy outfit underneath. A parka in the City screams for sky-high heels and a healthy dose of confidence. Of course her's is super high-end (...is it bad that I love fur?) but the one from Wikipedia is also pretty sweet in an old school way.

If your mum, like mine, lives somewhere in the mid-west, try to steal her's when you're home at Thanksgiving. Maybe the drycleaner can get out that horsey/barn smell? (grin)

During Fashion Week, the Daily ran a piece where the raided Andrea Linett's closet (Lucky's Creative Director). She had a green army jacket that she'd lined with fur. Sexy!!! A nice alternative to a parka...

18-11-2006
rising star

I don't even consider some of the things posted Parkas, they're just puffer jackets with a fur trim to me.
I always thought Parkas are heavily lined canvas jackets while puffers are down-filled nylon jackets.
And Carine Roitfeld looks good in her jacket but I don't think bare legs are an option once it's around 2°C here

Anyways, I don't really mind the parka but again it's a staple around here rather than a trend.

15-01-2007
fashion insider

Anyone jumping on the anorak wagon this spring? I was a bit unsure about this trend, but on the weekend i saw a really nice anorak from the Gap and now i really want one.
I'll try to find some nice pictures.

15-01-2007
fashion insider

Louis Vuitton

Dries Van Noten

DKNY

15-01-2007
V.I.P.

i used to swim, and swimmer definately love their parkas
ours were plain black on the outside, furry on in the inside, hooded, and very long:goes to below the knee (kind of like those norma kamali sleeping bag coats)
somehow, seeing the pics of shorter parkas, it doesn't have the same feel...

Last edited by BaroqueRockstar; 15-01-2007 at 03:28 PM.
15-01-2007
Naturellement pulpeuse

Say 'no' to parkas.

The Raf Simons puffa jackets are only just acceptable...

trendsetter

What's this about cold? Where I live the coldest nights go below 0 fahrenheit (-23C), but that doesn't make me want to wear one of these.

18-01-2007
Frozen irony.

I have seen too much of this trend around here already, worn in really bad ways.. please make it stop.

And I don't really get how they can be so warm? I mean.. the most I've seen are made of this really thin material.

Last edited by pucci_mama; 18-01-2007 at 09:02 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
make, parka, wear