How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-04-2008
windowshopping

i think the way polyester is being produced today will allow to breathe a lot easier than in the past... I cant see Lanvin etc.. using a fabric that doesnt breathe..
There is a great polyester in Reiss in the UK its 90% polyester and 10% elastane. Has anyone seen it? its fab, light and airy and you cannot tell its polyester.

02-04-2008
V.I.P.

yes the high end is definitely breathable
high quality should mean comfort

i hear it's called microfiber
where the holes are small enough to not let water go through but are big enough to allow evaporation (of sweat, etc)

also i often read about Issey Miyake developing and improving fabrics , most especially polyester

02-04-2008
V.I.P.

ive been buying a lot of viscose (similar to rayon) garments lately.

it holds its shape.

ive been wary of buying a lot of silk things my whole life. ill only buy silk garments if they are inexpensive or on sale...

09-04-2008
scenester

I can't wait for the next generation of synthetics! I can tell you as someone who sews, that polyester can be pure evil. I don't work with it anymore because I have have issues with seam quality. It's hard for me to get a smooth, pucker-free seam with it, and then there are the issues breathability...

But as a consumer I see so many examples of polyester that are designed for comfort. My brother, who weightlifts, works out in shirts made from 90% polyester because they wick away sweat and are cooler than cotton. Of course, it doesn't say polyester on the label (it goes by the name of HeatGear or PolyArmour ), which makes me wonder if the public is ready for a polyester fabric at a premium price. Polyester fleece has made tremendous inroads as far as the public perception of polyester is concerned, but I still feel like it has a stigma. Maybe consumer education will change that?

09-04-2008
V.I.P.

yes indeedy LiuDat ! it's what i was saying before
the stigma

so let's do our part and promote it :p

already i hear the term "techno fibre" or "technical fibre" replacing this condescending word "synthetic"

it hasn't reached "fashion" yet
but certainly it's favoured for sports , industrial , etc applications
they are high-function fabrics

09-04-2008
windowshopping

talking of polyesters, check out Lanvin who has done the most amazing range in polyester.
I can only imagine that the world will follow them as they are in my mind one of the leaders in our industry... You would never know they are polyesters either, so soft to the touch and so drapey...
Spot on.

15-04-2008
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius View Post
so let's do our part and promote it :p

already i hear the term "techno fibre" or "technical fibre" replacing this condescending word "synthetic"

We'll have to get a campaign bus and take on the road.

My question is how much are the designers and manufacturers willing to spend on pr for this new breed of fabric? Part of the problem is that these new polyesters are so different from what we typically think of as polyester.

I think people need to have a way to measure the quality of a fabric. If I see a garment in a store and the label says polyester, how do I know if it's made from $42 a yard NASA developed fabric or normal polyester? Some kind of branding might help as long as consumers see it as something legit and not just a way to seek nasty polyester past the unwary.

Also, isn't there something delightfully perverse about luxury (hate that term but it's the only thing that fits) polyester?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, paris, polyester, story, wsj