How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

24-04-2006
trendsetter

the only place i can think of is ebay.

here's a marc jacobs wayfarers inspired [credit:eluxury]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p11083526_ph_hero.jpg (8.4 KB, 13 views)

24-04-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcQueen
I have 2 pairs in white and tortoise shell- vintage raybans. I thinkt the title "wayfarer" exclusively refers to raybans, though I may be wrong?
You're right, I was on the Ray-Ban website a few days ago looking at them. I guess their current line is called "outsiders," which would be a division of "wayfarers?" - all these names are too complicated!
I think the glasses are fabulous, and I agree that they're not nineties at all! I've always associated them with James Dean, Bob Dylan, and Johnny Cash. But I must say that I was a little disapointed when I saw them featured in "In Style" this month...barf.

06-05-2006
turn and face the strange

I got some Ray Ban Wayfarers from the mall today.. I'm not sure whether it was seeing Bob Dylan in concert or seeing the way they looked on Kirsten and Sienna OR whether they just made me feel nostalgic...well, maybe a combination of the three. Anyway, I love them. I have a feeling I'll wear them forever..

19-05-2006
backstage pass

90's Sunglasses
That look like Kirsten Dunst's here (from kirsten-dunst.org) I've seen a lot of celebrities and models wearing this kind, and I think they're lovely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2006_jan11.jpg (34.5 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg kd070106_02.jpg (173.5 KB, 664 views)

19-05-2006
backstage pass

Sofia Coppola, from BrunoPress

19-05-2006
scenester

those are the rayban wayfers? correct?

i love the style of them..

20-05-2006
front row

Oooo...yuck. The Wayfarers make all these photos look like 80's candids in a bad way.

Maybe you can only like this trend if you didn't live through it the first time?

20-05-2006
stories everywhere

I lived through them the first time... and still like them

21-05-2006
adi
fashion insider

i sort of like them but i prefer more my huge shades than the rayban ones

21-05-2006
V.I.P.

There's a Wayfarer thread

I like Wayfarers, but I predict they are going to be a huge trend, which turns me off a bit.

Last edited by Whitelinen; 21-05-2006 at 12:45 AM.

24-05-2006
windowshopping

i still like 'em

31-05-2006
windowshopping

The Wayfarer is a totally 80's accessory, and is most definately not to be confused with the 90's.

20 years ago, they were probably at the height of their popularity and made famous by film and music icons such as Don Johnson in Miami Vice, George Michael, Madonna, Cyndi Lauper,Tom Cruise, Bob Dylan, Cory Feldman..the list goes on!

There was a serious 60's revival going on during the 80's (for those of us old enough to remember) and the Wayfarer was originally an icon of the 60's.

However, not every Wayfarer is sought after...there are certain types that seem to be making the comeback. If you'll allow me to explain further:

Back in the mid 80's, the Ray-Ban Wayfarer was manufactured by Bausch & Lomb of America but later on was sold to Europe.

It is those USA Bausch and Lomb originals that are most sought after, and these were the ones sported by Sonny Crockett (aka Don Johnson in Miami Vice). These originals have the lenses angled inwards towards the cheekbone, creating the classic pointed angular look.

I've been watching these glasses fetch a lot of money on Ebay for a while now, and fortunately bagged myself a couple of bargains last year before the prices shot through the roof.

The other 80's classic shade that is hot stuff is the 'Porsche', which incidentally was sported by Phillip Michael Thomas (for those of you who don't know, he was Don Johnson's partner in Miami Vice).

In conclusion then, it would appear that a load of 30-something Miami-Vice wannabees are causing this revival. And of course, I'm not one of them... :p

31-05-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany7
These are 80's for me... loooooooooove. I actually had a white pair in the 80's but have no clue where they are now.

Does anyone know where I can get a new pair for a good price?
Also can someone repost the picture of MK wearing them. I thought she had a similar pair but wasnt sure if they were them.
Thanks.
A good price for White Wayfarers may be VERY difficult to find, just look at the price of these babies...$91.00 for a pair that are scratched and discoloured!

http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-ray-ban-...QQcmdZViewItem

The later Wayfarer clones that Ray ban manufactured during the 80's are also very popular, in particular the 'Cats' style (which I think fit better than the Wayfarer and are lighter). These also fetch some pretty impressive prices:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-B-L-Ray-...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by Chaser; 31-05-2006 at 08:10 AM.

31-05-2006
scenester

i really like rayban wayfarers

11-09-2006
front row

Vintage Sunglasses
I don't know the proper name for these, but I've been seeing them around, and I absolutely adore them.

Luella Spring/Summer 2007

[IMG]*****************************/image/2006/Q1/022320060753040591.jpg[/IMG]
Anna Molinari Fall/Winter 2006

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, rayban, wayfarers