How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

04-11-2006
trendsetter

^those are wayfarers too, just in a larger size.

i have that size in black, but i do want a smaller sized pair in white.

as for them being trendy, yea they are really becoming a trend...that most cant pull off.

04-11-2006
backstage pass

yes but what style are they? how can i find them on ebay??

05-11-2006
scenester

I had a tortoise pair in high school, loved them and wore them for ages until they were lost at sea Don't think I will try them again though, my face is really too small, but I love the look on Sofia so maybe.

06-11-2006
front row

Lanvin SS07
Here they come...

image: style.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lanvinss2007.jpg (37.7 KB, 27 views)

09-11-2006
backstage pass

OMG, wayfarers! everything comes back,you just need a little patience... in the mid-80s those were the epitome of cool. i was a teenager with an appetite for the "look of the moment" back then, and so the black wayfarers became my first sunglasses. all the "cool" people at school wore those.
well well well. i looked ridiculous in these. won't ever try again.

09-11-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella-mayfair
OMG, wayfarers! everything comes back,you just need a little patience... in the mid-80s those were the epitome of cool. i was a teenager with an appetite for the "look of the moment" back then, and so the black wayfarers became my first sunglasses. all the "cool" people at school wore those.
well well well. i looked ridiculous in these. won't ever try again.
Thank you for echoing me on this! I had a pair in the late 80's and thought that they were sooooo cool but I just can't do this again! Best of luck to all you undergrads (and younger) who feel this is a fresh trend. They look cute on you!

09-11-2006
turn and face the strange

Haha aw man... I thought I was being unique, feeling ole nostagia by wearing mine. Oh well, I still love them. I'm so sick of bug-eyed frames and the like.

09-11-2006
V.I.P.

Wayfarers are so tired. They were fresh at around this time last year but Rachel Bilson is the kiss of death. It's just all the hipsters in NYC trying so hard in thier super-skinny jeans, gross boots, scraggly hair, jackedup looking teeshirt and finally wayfarers. God, I really hate this hipster trend. I want to give them all combs and a full-length mirror.

Wow. Cory Kennedy looks like a heroin addict...In those overalls with that gross early 90's belt...Id give her a quarter and offer her a carrot.

Last edited by Diorling; 09-11-2006 at 10:52 PM.

10-11-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diorling
Wow. Cory Kennedy looks like a heroin addict...In those overalls with that gross early 90's belt...Id give her a quarter and offer her a carrot.
I love you!!

10-11-2006
windowshopping

I really like the wayfarers.
Have 3 wayfarers, black, brown and white/green. Very cheap.

and by the way, Cory don't look like a heroin addict...

Last edited by J A K O B; 10-11-2006 at 01:32 PM.

10-11-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diorling
Wayfarers are so tired. They were fresh at around this time last year but Rachel Bilson is the kiss of death. It's just all the hipsters in NYC trying so hard in thier super-skinny jeans, gross boots, scraggly hair, jackedup looking teeshirt and finally wayfarers. God, I really hate this hipster trend. I want to give them all combs and a full-length mirror.

Ew, they're so ugly and unattractive. The only person who pulled them off in this thread was Rachel Bilson, IMO. Everyone else looks desperate for attention. Bob Dylan rocked them and it worked, but sorry, Lindsay Lohan, Mary Kate, Sienna Miller et al are NOT Dylan!

10-11-2006
fashion insider

Me in my wayfarers!
These are just some muck around shots in my Wayfarers! They are the best sunnies! hehe.

Elle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gigglegam.jpg (109.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg midsentenceb&w.jpg (215.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg sideprofile.JPG (163.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg teethyb&w.jpg (195.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg inshock.JPG (174.4 KB, 11 views)

No!

10-11-2006
etre soi-meme

^ they look great on you, the fact that they are the 'small' version has something to do with this..

joining the 'older' group here, they totally remind me of Dylan and my 'rocakbilly queen days'
i never knew the term 'wayfarers', we used to call them raybans and this was the late 80s.
admiting i was snobing them then
everyone was saving to own a pair and it thought this pathetic, so i never practically joined in the 'trend'

their latest revival is both a manifestation of the 'i-dont-care-about-your-trends-i-just-love-looking-ridiculous' and a subconsious nostalgia for 'uncool retro nostalgia' which is fine with me and reflects a very healthy need for reaction to the dictatorship of the 'comme il faut' trend/esthetic mainstream standards

bad news is that celebrities got 'by accident' the joke and since the trend is being embraced by the 'in crowd' the 'joke' is eventually turning to a 'new must', exactly to what it was created to ..ridicule

as a result, 'ridiculous' is reaching 'trendy/fashionable' status once again, which manifests the eternal socio-trend domino
setting aside the 'esthetic' issue, i find the 'development' of trends and their mechanical manipulation, absolutely fascinating

some people can take a 'joke-trend' seriously and consumers counter-react in bringing the 'joke-trend' to a 'must-trend' status

as for the sunglasses, i still find them 'not for me' the same way i did 20 years ago..
will i wear them?
well, i do own both a 'small-female' and a 'large-male' ''wayfarers" versions by 'Persol' usless left overs from early editorial jobs in the '80s.. i never wore them and my bfs negleted them even on 'emergency-sunglasses' days, so they stayed untouched for eons
i might as well wear them one of these days, if they fit my mood and my outfit

i'll join in the general 'this is the new/old uncool/cool sunglasses' mood, just because i'd like to communicate the 'proud to be a ridicule'/'this is essential' experience for purely 'socio-scientific' reasons

11-11-2006
front row

Ha ha Lena I'm the same as you, I was thinking "Wayfarers... WTF?" and the I saw the pics "oooho Raybans!!!".

I was a kid in the 80's and a teen in the 90's so I've lived through the trend twice... think I'll pass this time.

The big ones are fine, though. Perhaps because I love the whole "Jackie o" look.

12-11-2006
scenester

my mum has been wearing these for as long as i can remember!! haha i'll show her this thread - she'll be chuffed!

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, rayban, wayfarers