How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

05-01-2011
front row

these are definitely making a comeback! you see them everywhere nowadays. everybody wants a pair

02-02-2011
front row

So, I bought a pair of authentic classic black prescription RB Wayfarer frames, because they were on sale. However, I'm not sure if the quality (sturdy but plastic) are worth the money and I'm also not sure if they look ridiculous and faux-geek-glass-hipstery or not... any opinions? I have yet to put my actual prescription lenses in them so I'm not sure.

Last edited by sanitizedfashion; 02-02-2011 at 09:43 PM.

04-02-2011
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanitizedfashion View Post
So, I bought a pair of authentic classic black prescription RB Wayfarer frames, because they were on sale. However, I'm not sure if the quality (sturdy but plastic) are worth the money and I'm also not sure if they look ridiculous and faux-geek-glass-hipstery or not... any opinions? I have yet to put my actual prescription lenses in them so I'm not sure.

I personally think that Ray Ban wayfarers are a classic. Rachel Bilson wears them all the time, and she looks sophisticated, not hipstery at all. I think it all depends on the way you wear it. Ray Ban wayfarers are probably the most recognized and respected design through out the whole world. Don't think about others, if you love them you'll wear them well

04-02-2011
front row

Thanks, queenposh! I agree, they're totally timeless and I think I look good in them if I do say so myself

04-02-2011
oh! darling

^ sanitizedfashion, if you like them, then you wear them. That's the best way to do it after all.

07-02-2011
trendsetter

They're more of a classic now then a trend imo.

07-02-2011
front row

^ Agreed

08-02-2011
scenester

Ray Bans wayfarers are just too popular these days. I see them on almost everyone with sunnies whether it suits them or not.. its scary.. I loved them when they first came out but now its popularity has made it, in my opinion, a must -not rather than a must-have..

Does anyone here agree?

08-02-2011
windowshopping

I have had mine for about 20 years and I still love them. I think that makes them a classic.

08-02-2011
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraiseap View Post
I have had mine for about 20 years and I still love them. I think that makes them a classic.
I agree. I have a few pairs and even though you see them on tons of people, that's because they're a very universally flattering shape and a classic style. I also appreciate that the price point is reasonable for the quality. When sunglasses hit the $300-500 range it just seems absurd to me. I've lost way too many pairs to spend that kind of cash and especially when 90% of the cost is paying for a logo. Raybans are a good quality without being impossible to justify which makes them attainable for a lot of people. Yes they can have hipster associations but only if the rest of your style fits that. Look at pictures of fashion editors wearing Wayfarers and there's nothing trendy or overdone about it.

08-02-2011
trendsetter

^^That's true - I was going to post the same thing. I have a few pairs of polarized Ray Bans (both G-15 grey/green polarized and the brown polarized) and I find the optical quality one of my favorite things about them. I find myself reaching for them over other very pricey sunglasses I have because I like the lenses. They have amazing clarity (without making everything dark) and the polarization really helps with snow, water and glare. I'm glad they suit my face as I'm sure I'll wear them for years.

Also luxottica - the company that owns RB also makes the lenses for other high end sunglasses like Persol, Chanel and Oliver Peoples. So when you pay extra $ it's for the logo on the arm or the high fashion design. I find with Ray Ban (wayfarers in this case) I get the same quality optics - plus a timeless design for 1/4th the price of other sunglasses.

09-02-2011
windowshopping

I like Ray Bans in general... good quality lens/frame for a decent price. I've used and abused my wayfarers for about three years now, and they are still in great shape!

I've personally got my eyes on these in black: http://www.ray-ban.com/usa/sunglasses/rb4148/601

19-03-2011
trendsetter

I found a vintage pair recently I love - they don't have "Ray ban" written all over the lens, which I like!

29-05-2011
scenester

Does anyone own these?

source: eyeweartown.com

11-08-2011
trendsetter

^^Those are the "new" wayfarer. They're very east-west and didn't go well on my face so no.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, rayban, wayfarers