How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-12-2008
front row

The Satin Sash
I discovered a new trend lately - the whole sequin/satin sash tied around the collar of a shirt, something like these:

(outfits from Club Monaco)

I was wondering if anybody else has seen these around. And if so, please post! I've been trying to find the sash by itself, and not around the top. Anybody else?

16-12-2008
tfs star

I'm quite fond of sashes. They look very lovely. Perhaps the popularity of scarves have given way to these sashes. Looks like a great trend to try out.

trendsetter

^ I do hope the scarf trend slowly gives way to sashes or even chokers. I love scarves in the chilly weather because they are a necessity, and I like them loosely slung around the shoulders in warmer weather for a touch of flair or color. But I miss seeing the neck and collarbone; they are two of the most beautiful parts of a woman's body, and the current way scarves are worn conceals them entirely.

17-12-2008
tfs star

I have no problem with scarves nor with these sashes. If scarves give way to these sashes, it's a pretty good tradeoff. While I've seen hommes wear sashes as belts (I've last seen these at the Houston Greek Festival where some Greek guys look pretty stylish with those outfits), I'm uncertain as to if this can look great for us guys too. Think these satin sashes will be purely unisex?

trendsetter

It could work in an androgynous way. I've never seen it on a guy (except in costume), but imagining it looks quite nice.

18-12-2008
front row

I snagged one recently (literally, off a satin robe) and plan on wearing it with my few collared outfits. I think it's cute and quirky, but not over the top.

V.I.P.

I really like it, even tho it's a bit dress up, but I've always used it because I'm in love with the Japanese gothic lolita style^^

20-12-2008
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasolineRainbow View Post
It could work in an androgynous way. I've never seen it on a guy (except in costume), but imagining it looks quite nice.
I've seen it on guys in Japanese/Korean magazines. They are very into the androgyny and it looks very cool.

26-12-2008
windowshopping

A quick question:

How long should a silk sash be, if it were intended to be tied around the neck as a bowtie?

My Mom has all this black satin left over from these harem pants she made for herself... and I was wondering If I could make myself a sash.
(I guess this is a DIY question... but I hope no one minds that I'm asking this quickie here)

26-12-2008
front row

I recently went to the fabric store and cut 3 types of satin-like material to have made into these sashes. If you want a natural, draped look you should opt for about 3 inches in width and at least 4 feet + in length.

29-12-2008
I don't know

ooh do post pictures if u can

29-12-2008
tfs star

I find them really cute, here are two more examples.
Bill Blas

Oscar de la Renta

[style.com]

29-12-2008
tfs star

Not only is the satin sash lovely in the two pictures in Post #12, I like that whole Bill Blass look. I thought it was a puffy-sleeve blouse, but it's a white jacket with a white blouse or shirt. The high-waist slacks are also lovely to go with everything. Most of you know I'm an Oscar de la Renta fan. That outfit looks lovely.

But for both of those, I'd like to see that pop of color. I'd probably be interested in a hot pink satin sash for the jacket + blouse + high-waist pants look, then maybe a bright teal or sky blue sash for the all-black Oscar de la Renta look. This is still a must-try trend. Go get a satin sash and add some style to your wardrobe!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
sash, satin