How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-09-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Seventies Feel
Hats on for that flouncy, Seventies feel
(Filed: 03/09/2004)

There is a fun alternative to twee suits. Clare Coulson says many designers are being inspired by the floral, feminine styles of Ossie Clark

There is, thankfully, some respite to the ubiquitous tweedy, ladylike trend that will dominate fashion this autumn. Michael Kors, Roberto Cavalli and even Missoni are all flying the flag for Seventies bohemia – albeit in an ultra-luxurious way – and, while these looks can seem a little too exuberant on the catwalk, when scaled down they make a great alternative to all those twee suits.

Begin with a dress. The Ossie Clark retrospective, held at the V&A last summer, has had a knock-on effect. The ultra-feminine dresses that Clark created during his short-lived career, with their fitted silhouettes, flouncy sleeves and graphic, floral prints have inspired countless designers. Alice Temperley has some brilliant, vivid, graphic prints in her autumn collection that capture the mood of the prints Celia Birtwell produced with Clark in the late Sixties and early Seventies.

Nicholas Knightly at Mulberry also seems to have been dipping into the archives. The label's blooming clothing collection, which gets stronger each season, has beautiful, bell-sleeved, printed, empire-line dresses and similar blouses, too. The new Limited collection at Marks & Spencer, which launches this week (and is the strongest range the store has produced in years), has a pretty, floral-print, chiffon empire-line blouse and a navy blue, fitted silk dress with red polka dots and a real Ossie Clark feel.

The right accessories are crucial to nailing the Seventies look. A floppy felt hat will give you an instant bohemian air. Luisa Beccaria and Michael Kors both included them in their autumn collections and James Lock, the hatters tucked away in St James's, London, has the best selection of colours, from soft sage green and sludgy mustard, through to deep claret and rich purple. On the high street, there are more tame versions, which are good buys, even though the colours are less delicious. Dorothy Perkins and Miss Selfridge both have them in chocolate brown while Kookai has a deep purple felt hat with a tan leather trim.

Complete the look with a pair of stack-heeled boots. Buy a pair of classic, knee-high tan boots and they will not only give all those floral prints a bit of an edge, but will also make the look a whole lot more practical once the weather gets more autumnal.

08-09-2004
flaunt the imperfection

V-neck tunic top with fluted sleeves, 8-14, £451, Temperley, 6-10 Colville Mews, Lonsdale Road, W11, 020 7930 2421. Felt floppy hat, £49, James Lock, 6 James Street, SW1; 020 7930 242

Last edited by softgrey; 26-05-2007 at 06:18 PM.
08-09-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Dress with floral print, 8-16, £495, Mulberry; boots, £89.99, Clarks

08-09-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Sheer chiffon kaftan tunic with swirl print and beaded toggle ties, one size, £155, Lotty B; large hoop gilt earrings with coral stones, £68, both at Musa. Taupe suede wide ring pull through belt, £42, Jigsaw. Jeans by Topshop

09-09-2004
Naturellement pulpeuse

There's an English brand called East who I've bought quite a lot of jewellery from recently which seems like a cut-price version of rich-hippie a la Ossie Clark.

Proponent of Plaid

I'm in the process of making a blouse that fits this discription. It is made of paisely-printed chiffon, with huge, wide flutter sleeves and a ruched front. When I bought the fabric, I was actually thinking of Janis Joplin.

chaos reigns

third look, j'aime!

front row

Quote:
Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Sep 9 2004, 07:03 AM
There's an English brand called East who I've bought quite a lot of jewellery from recently which seems like a cut-price version of rich-hippie a la Ossie Clark.
[snapback]360653[/snapback]

11-09-2004
V.I.P.

And I had that pink hat...

11-09-2004
V.I.P.

hippy trend again? already, ok i like it

flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Sep 9 2004, 06:03 AM
[snapback]360653[/snapback]
thanks prince...i'll watch out for them while i'm across the pond...
as you like it...your blouse sounds gorge...i never seem to tire of a good paisley...

13-09-2004
ingenue

I love this style...if done well it can be so beautiful.

17-09-2004
kabhi alvida

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Sep 9 2004, 02:04 AM

The right accessories are crucial to nailing the Seventies look. A floppy felt hat will give you an instant bohemian air. Luisa Beccaria and Michael Kors both included them in their autumn collections and James Lock, the hatters tucked away in St James's, London, has the best selection of colours, from soft sage green and sludgy mustard, through to deep claret and rich purple. On the high street, there are more tame versions, which are good buys, even though the colours are less delicious. Dorothy Perkins and Miss Selfridge both have them in chocolate brown while Kookai has a deep purple felt hat with a tan leather trim.

[snapback]360056[/snapback]
I have that hat...it's gorgeous-I think a bit of this has to do with the fact it's Biba's anniversary-over here, anyway.

windowshopping

70s Studio 54 Inspired

All designers, even if denied personally, evoke a period in time. Tom Ford openly admits to his being influenced by the sexy 70's look and fashion of Studio 54. During his time at Gucci in the 90s his signature look was clearly reminiscent of 20 years earlier. Fur, often in outrageous colours, velvet trouser suits for both sexes, satin or lace shirts, more often than not evocatively undone. The look is about sensuality, tactile, sexy and ultimately extreme glamour.

This thread is to spot other designers who have been influenced by the glamour and sensuality of the 70s.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
feel, seventies