How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

31-03-2008
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwong View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html....html#section1

New York Times' Bill Cunningham on this trend, with an audio slideshow of amazing shoes!

That was brilliant, thank you!

31-03-2008
a hymn to darkness

Shoes are essential, imho...
Can never have enough...!
I have never been too mad about bags, rly..
Of course, as a whole, every aspect plays a pivotal role in an entire look..
but hnstly, most days I wish I could go without a bag..
They're such a hassle...

backstage pass

I wish it could be about shoes for me. However, too many brands don't carry my size...I'm a US 5 (a SMALL US 5...more like a 4 3/4 if that size actually existed)

31-03-2008
flaunt the imperfection..

to be honest...
this is a major major TREND...
so maybe that is where it belongs...:p

31-03-2008
tfs star

This new look for thefashionspot.com's forums looks amazing. Changing up your looks some can offer some new opinions from onlookers. Think about when Rihanna had that beautiful hair until she went with an edgy bob hairstyle. Looking very chic, thefashionspot.com!

Now back on topic. I really can't believe shoes overtaking handbags as the top fashion item. However, the two kind of go hand-in-hand. A lady with great shoes can be just as unique as her handbag. I've known femmes in all of my schools that have been pretty good at finding great shoes to wear. I don't know too many more for lovely handbags of any kinds, however. Shoes are more versatile and can flow in better with different clothing styles. So anything from T-Shirt + jeans to a sundress can all be the finishing touches for any look. I've known only a few with some interesting handbags. One girl I knew at my community college usually had a theme of color each day. She'd wear a red T-shirt with blue jeans and red flip-flops. She would wear a black top with dark blue jeans with pink peep-toe low-heel pumps. I think she even had on a black T-shirt, blue denim jeans, black flip-flops, and skull earrings- a theme of death. She had a real fung shei(?) style in which all of her garments had a certain theme. I know more ladies for the shoes they wear more than a handbag. A girl that sits next to me in my Public Speaking class has two beautiful high-heel pumps. One is a shiny black pair of mary janes (my all-time favorite style of women's shoes), and the other is kind of a T-strap pair of mary janes accented with a beautiful ribbon as an ankle strap.

Thing is, every femme that is into fashion has their own favorite garment or fashion item that they express their love with. I remember when girls had T-shirts talking about how much they love shoes. One of my friends loved belts. Some of my lady friends even loved denim. Everyone has their favorites in fashion. The most common fashion item loved by women are shoes. Part of me says I'm not surprised that shoes are #1, but another part of me says that handbags usually don't overtake shoes too often as best accessories. I'm a bit at a loss of words, but I do give shoes their due as this topic relates.

?

I think it's very much happening..
Unfortunately I wish good clothes would become a trend rather than having the focus on shoes and bags all the time.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellaMare View Post
I think it's very much happening..
Unfortunately I wish good clothes would become a trend rather than having the focus on shoes and bags all the time.
I always notice the clothes first, then shoes and finally the bag/jewelry.

tfs star

That's the way it usually is, isn't it, ediewarhol? I often times take note of the shoes first. It really depends on what I see first. Often times, it's clothes. I guess I have a habit of always wondering what footwear a lady is wearing. I sometimes see a great combination put together, but foiled from a poor choice of shoes. I've always liked pumps, flat slip-ons (like ballet flats), sandals, and boots. I usually compliment shoes most since I feel anyone (let alone a femme) can make or break a look with a pair of shoes. I mentioned in the "Trends We Love" thread that I kind of liked pairing an office/formal-style outfit with sneakers. Like if a femme had a black blouse, khaki flared stretch pants or dress pants, and black sneakers (like a pair of Skechers Grand Jamz with natural-colored accents), then the look is just fine. I've seen T-Shirt + jeans + stylish pumps. Those work very well as well. I've even liked gaucho pants, cropped pants, and knee-length skirts paired with some tall boots. Again, works very well.

All I'm saying is that you tend to follow clothes more than accessories (including shoes). Every lady (I use this loosely) has a unique style to them whether a fashionista or a tomboy. A handbag or purse seems more of a personality item than shoes, though you can make the case for either side. Shoes overtakes handbags as must-have fashion items, but SHOULD they be noted as the hotter item?

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M. View Post
A handbag or purse seems more of a personality item than shoes, though you can make the case for either side. Shoes overtakes handbags as must-have fashion items, but SHOULD they be noted as the hotter item?
Well, I think that's just what the article is saying. Shoes are becoming "personality" items. You no longer have boots or pumps - you have short, 4.5" lace-up booties, or peeptoe d'orsay pumps, or, as the article mentions, shoes with backwards heels. They're becoming a lot more expressive, and a lot more adventurous!

front row

^^ you said it well

most of my friends who are girls care focus on shoes nothing much else, i think Louboutin and MJ showed this trend best omg and balenciaga lego shoes lol

03-04-2008
secret garden

Handbags vs. Shoes.
Shoes vs. Handbags.

Do we need peace sanctions for the accessories department?

I think they're equally important and equally coveted with great things developing in either arena. People really one need both within their wardrobes. I'm all about the shoe + bag combo. In the end I agree with edie, clothing always takes precedence. Bags/shoes can elevate an outfit but miracles cannot be performed without there right clothing.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
article, bags, fashion, hottest, item, observer, replace, shoes