How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-12-2005
scenester

Short Shorts for Winter
Hi All,

This came from a UK newspaper article yesterday. Just wondering....is anyone out there brave enough to be wearing short shorts in the winter. I'd really like to get my legs out - but I'm just not sure if I'm brave enough. I love the way they are dressed up below - with tights or even with bear legs. Do you think I should just go for it? Advice welcome!
Charlotte

F
[IMG]/stylesheets/portal/images/slideshow/pre_off.gif[/IMG][IMG]/stylesheets/portal/images/slideshow/next_off.gif[/IMG]
ANTASTIC FOUR: SHORT SHORTS [IMG]/stylesheets/portal/images/slideshow/pre_off.gif[/IMG]

Short shorts are enjoying a renaissance. They are proving - bizarrely - to be a big hit for winter, and are set to continue as a major trend for next summer. However, they can be tricky to wear. To avoid looking like a pantomime extra, choose your separates carefully.

Pictures by Christopher Cox

01-12-2005
V.I.P.

I've been wearing silk shorts over tights to go out in. Mine aren't tight though so it's not too slapperish. The key is thick opaque tights.

I've still been wearing my city shorts over crochet tights. You can layer tights as well for more layers!

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
01-12-2005
tfs star

Charlotte,if you are under 21 or so get them out. Tights are essential though...the blue-limbed,goosebumped look flatters no-one .

And I like them worn slightly loose,and cuffed. (PS I would NEVER do this now...but i did in the 80's when I had the legs ).

I do have one pair of "respectable" knee length shorts now though...

01-12-2005
windowshopping

Wow wouldn't bare legs be waaay too cold? That would be weird IMO. But interesting idea with the tights option! Does anyone have more pics? I still can't quite picture it very well....besides that pic ^^ I don't think i'd be brave enough...unless i see at least ONE other person wearing it too...Wouldn't want to get weird stares

01-12-2005
front row

Well...I have to admit wearing my Rick Owens flannel shorts over leggings...it's kinda bike messenger look with lots of layers.

backstage pass

I wear woolen shorts with a few layers of black opaque tights under and boots.. I'll try to post a pick one day!

It looks good with heels as well, but now it's too cold for heels here. Before it got too cold I also used silk shorts over tights, but now I stick too the ones in warmer fabrics.

If not many people wear this were you live you should prepare yourself for some attention though..everytime I go out in them, people will come up to me and say; wow. are you wearing shorts? and I'll be like (stupid question..) "yes" and they they usually just stare at them for a few second and say: cool.
I really love the look - you should try!

Last edited by lumy_; 01-12-2005 at 09:28 AM.
01-12-2005
urd
tfs star

I wear mine with opaque thights (and sometimes with legwarmers too)

when it was getting cold I was wondering if shorts and thights will look idiotic together, but they really don't!!

01-12-2005
V.I.P.

I wear 'em over leggings with big chunky winter boots. :p

01-12-2005
Adorable illusion

I like the look of shorts and tights together..but I dont think im brave enough for this cold cold weather

01-12-2005
backstage pass

I believe it's the popularity of boots, pushing shorter looks (like the culottes thread)... I've been wearing it too. A lot of us have invested in pricy high boots... and our wardrobes adapt... this trend will last on me as long as my boots are wearable.
And is it just me or has the tight industry improved amazingly in the past few years? They feel better and stay up better... I love that thicker tights are back in style. I wear cable-sock style tights with motorcycle eurotrash boots and short cargo shorts... and let me tell you... wear this outfit if you want a lot of attention. I am showing no skin at all (hat, mitts, big scarf) but men go nuts for it.

backstage pass

Heres another example

Chloe FW 2003
style.com

Love this look! I'm gonna rock it at my show this weekend

01-12-2005
rising star

i this look too. it's so cute.

01-12-2005
rising star

But does this make sense in winter? It's outrageous you're all going to freeze.

01-12-2005
front row

I love this look, but it's definitely a going out look. This would just not fly at work. Not in my city at least. Love it though! :p

01-12-2005
trendsetter

I like short shorts =) But I can never find a good pair.... Anyone know any good brands that make cute short shorts?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
short, shorts, winter