How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-07-2008
tfs star

Okay... who was smoking what when this idea came about? I barely tolerated leggings under skirts for femmes... now leggings for guys? And under shorts? I'm sorry. This is terrible. I don't even wear shorts out in public, so this means absolutely nothing to me. Only leggings I have are longjohns (not named after me!) for when it's really cold. Last I've worn them was about Christmas Eve 2004 when it snowed here in Houston (rare) and about 32 degrees. Part of fashion is experimentation. Part of fashion is imagination. Another part of fashion is creativity. This deal severely lacks in all three fields. I'd rather wear a "manskirt" than to do leggngs with shorts for men. What's next- leggings as pants for men? Are we going to start seeing men ranging from David Beckham to WWE's Big Show wearing these? I thought I saw polar bears and penguins in Hell because it just froze over with this fashion faux pas. Manhood would be screwed for life if this ever gets anywhere near the attention and populairty of leggings under skirts in that '80s throwback trend of a few years ago.

03-07-2008
rising star

No no no no no!
It doesn't really contribute anything to the look at all, it just makes me go "Wait...is he wearing leggings?!"

03-07-2008
Rive Gauche. Rive Droite.

This guy pulls it off really well. I think if you can do it, then go for it, but I'm sure the ratio of guys that will look good to guys that look stupid will be small. Although I must say the Givenchy ones look pretty cool as a look.

men.style.com

04-07-2008
tfs star

Well, this look is more like the one dope who thought it was cool to tuck his boots into jeans saying, "girls are doing it? Why not guys?" Almost starting to think this is Metrosexual v2.0 if we're going to start seeing even male celebrities sporting these leggings. I know there are leggings for men with sports. Those are fine. But I can't stand to see these fashion leggings go to guys. It's almost as if leggings were saying, "this trend's dying for women, so let's try guys." I hope this style doesn't develop at all or get popular. Only thing close to this trend would be me wearing knee-length shorts and wearing tall socks with my sneakers. I would NEVER wear these, and I don't want to be convinced this is something I should try out. Remember that I don't have a single pair of shorts I wear out in public. So I'm exempt from this.

I think back on this and look back to how much I've attacked leggings for women. I'm not a huge fan of leggings anyways unless they are the type that have a foot. I've read all kinds of comments about how leggings make legs look better. Well, this isn't going to help us guys' legs. Just think this is a dumb idea. It just brings the tackiness of leggings under skirts for femmes (though I've eased up on leggings lately) to wearing leggings under shorts for us guys. I don't even like this style for cold weather. It's simple- too cold for shorts? Wear pants or jeans! Don't go ahead to wearing leggings or longjohns with your shorts. That one day in Houston where I wore longjohns, it was about 32 degrees with rare snow falling back on Christmas Eve 2004. I think I was wearing longjohns over sweat pants that day. It's a terrible idea to even fathom guys wearing leggings under shorts (much less wearing them at all except as part as some sports outfits). Give this trend the axe. Or much better. the gullotine.

coffee&tv

An absolute no for me...
reading the title of the thread I was hoping this isn't seen on the runway... sadly it is.

backstage pass

i like this look givenchy pulls it off really well. it looks just like knee pads next to the shorts.
i never understood why people hated leggings. to me, they are just like pants but in a different fabric. i mean come on, skinny jeans are just as tight.
menswear has so many constrictions, i think most has to do with society and how it can't deal with a man not being a "man".. i'm just glad there are some designers (esp. prada ) who challenge the idea.

04-07-2008
D‘MMkammern

i think you can do leggings, or a little bit loser (closer to hammer pants), or go for shorts... just don't mix them. i think the problem is mostly about how skin-tight the leggins are (not too tight), and how wide the shorts are (not so wide). there are sooooo VERY FEW combinations that would work... i think it'd take ages to find one!!

windowshopping

Shorts over leggings is hardly a new trend. It's just getting bigger. Ann Demeulemeester did it last fall and Robert Geller among others are doing it this fall. I've been wearing shorts over leggings since last fall and I think it looks great. It really depends on your overall aesthetic. To blindly dismiss leggings for men on a general basis is to keep men in a constricting box fashion wise. For those of you who do not like leggings for men, is it that you don't like the look or that it ruins your idea of masculinity?

Last edited by thefashionisto; 04-07-2008 at 02:19 PM. Reason: verbage
04-07-2008
trendsetter

I think it can work - as long as the leggings are scrunched and aren't too tight and do not go much lower than the shorts.

04-07-2008
fashion insider

I think it's not going to be a big trend only in the fashion scene maybe.
My experience is that most of the guys hate leggings...

04-07-2008
trendsetter

^I can see it being big in the hipster/club scene

05-07-2008
tfs star

I just don't like the general idea. I get tired of leggings often times. Shorts and leggings for femmes are perfectly fine. I just hate trying to make leggings fashionable for men. Only leggings I know men wear are leggings for sports (like gridiron football) and longjohns. Never was I excited or respectful of leggings under skirts when femmes worn them. Only recently have I been a lot more kinder to the look. Doesn't mean I'm still completely over them. Maybe it's just my level of intolerance in which I get tired of something so easily that anytime it's reintroduced in some sort of way, I hate that reintroduction as much as I've hated something since beginning to hate something. In other words, I've gotten sick of leggings under skirts... so I'm obviously going to dislike seeing leggings get popular for men. The leggings are tacky for men. This is about as bad as letting the front pockets hang down from short-shorts that have front pockets.

I'm not going to go to the level of ruining masculinity because I always feel any comment I make is liable for me to get flamed (not my first rodeo). I don't like these leggings anyways, let alone the look. I don't like this look even if skirts were unisex (available for both men and women without compromise to each other) and generally worn by men and women. I hope this style is only of experimentation and not in trying to market this style because I just don't see this happening. And if it does, the ludicrous appeal of leggings under skirts for femmes will be transferred to hommes with shorts. It's like spreading a disease.

...Okay, now to make myself unpopular to some. I sometimes feel making leggings fashionable were ALWAYS for women and should NEVER even be dreamt or made fashionable for men. I've said before... this is a dumb fashion idea. I can't even imagine any of my guy friends wearing leggings. I've mostly seen men's shorts that go down to the knees or just past. I can't imagine hommes with long leggings and their shorts. The average guy that I would come across would NEVER even fathom wearing a style like this.

As far as hating leggings go, even I mentioned that I didn't mind leggings under tunics for femmes. I've even seen leggings paired with boots as a bottom look, and I found that to be pretty fine as well. Just that I've gotten sick of leggings especially in the leggings under skirt trend. Like every femme thinks it's cute and required to wear leggings under denim mini skirts. This is what I hated about the look even as I kept getting flamed on just because I think differently on a fashion style. I respect Jean Paul Gautier in trying to come up with styles usually popular for femmes and trying to make them fashionable for men. I'd rather wear a skirt than to wear leggings [with anything] as far as this fashion garment better meant for women than men. It's a different style, but doesn't mean it's better. I just don't like leggings all that much and especially not for men. Only wearable men's leggings are sports leggings (wrestling, football, etc.) and longjohns. That's it.

rising star

i have only really seen actual people do this look on Street Style blogs from Japan------>

(this one's skinny jeans and shorts)
(i think this is a girl...but it looks quite adrogynous/leaning towards masculine....non?)

07-07-2008
scenester

it's defiantly not a new thing to pair shorts and leggings. i've seen it done fantastically on models, but i honestly don't think it would survive in the real world.

on a related note, giuliano fujiwara did it right:
ohhlala magazine

07-07-2008
V.I.P.

NO NO NO ........

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
09, leggings, men, s or s, shorts