How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-07-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucci_mama
geek chic' has been a term in fashion, before.
Of course, but the geek chic look that hit the "fashion scene" *cough* is much more CLEAN than the look I described.

10-07-2005
tfs star

er, kate has never EVER looked skanky.

10-07-2005
crossed wires.

oh get a wash.

chaos reigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimkhuu
Very interesting article Kit.

I think this has a hell lot to do with the hipster thing..... Why do they have to mention Kate Moss in every single trend article, as though the trend emerged because of her?! This look has been around for so long now, who cares if Kate Moss is sporting it? I just DON'T get people who dress up this way just to seem more interesting, plain stupid.....
I agree ..my friends and I epymotmize "skank chic" at 10 am in the morning -from an allnighter-

V.I.P.

Quote:
Hmm... i still preffer it over the 'over-groomed-Beckham look'

But to see the common people of U.K dressing like this is a scary, scary thought.
I have a feeling chavdom shall readily embrace this 'trend'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfCats

Blacks and greys...such unique colours. And, mein gott!, drainpipe jeans. Because Hedi isn't at all inspired by the 80s...

ingenue

Quote:
I think this has a hell lot to do with the hipster thing.....
I agree kimkhuu, it seems to me along similar lines... though the hipster thing is a little less trashy/drug oriented/aggressive, and a little more playful/arty/fun.
so, not so sure this is a trend that people can comfortably mimic - most people have a standard of hygiene and some propriety regarding their public behaviour. but I could be wrong...

thanks for the article kit.

10-07-2005
trendsetter

Regarding the original topic: I personally don't like this style. It seems like what people look like on accident when they are hitting a really rough patch in their life. Not a look people should intentionally strive for. And I agree with Marcella. Kate and Lindsay have NOTHING to do with each other. Yeah, they're both female human beings but the similarities end there.

But really I wanted to post to ask an embarrassing question. I feel dumb but what is a chav? Is is like white trash? This site is the first place I've heard that term. I looked it up on urban dictionary and it looks like a British version of white trash??? Lots of imitation designer stuff was in the pictures. Anyone have a good explanation? Thanks! .

Frozen irony.

pinksatin there is a chav thread here somewhere if you do a search you should find it.

10-07-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia
so, not so sure this is a trend that people can comfortably mimic - most people have a standard of hygiene and some propriety regarding their public behaviour. but I could be wrong...
Agreed on that Utopia..... ...I think this trend is not for the mainstream crowd.... Though I can see a lot who'll be trying too hard to impress with this new trend.......

10-07-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
pinksatin there is a chav thread here somewhere if you do a search you should find it.
Thanks! I found it. Now I'm truely enlightened on chavness .

V.I.P.

Quote:
Agreed on that Utopia..... ...I think this trend is not for the mainstream crowd.... Though I can see a lot who'll be trying too hard to impress with this new trend.......
kinda ironic how the non-mainstream crowd follows trends as well. I guess in trying to be different people often end up just looking the same. That is why I never really got the whole punk look and their catch phrase of "I wanna be different I don't wanna look like everyone else your all sheep blah blah..." cause every punk looks the same to me

front row

Skank chic??? I think they mean stank chic...

11-07-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by style_savy
kinda ironic how the non-mainstream crowd follows trends as well. I guess in trying to be different people often end up just looking the same. That is why I never really got the whole punk look and their catch phrase of "I wanna be different I don't wanna look like everyone else your all sheep blah blah..." cause every punk looks the same to me
you know, you're right I had this big discussion a few days ago with a guy in my literature seminar and we concluded that claiming that proclaiming you don't conform is just conforming to the ideal of un-conformity. I doubt that last bit was a word, but I hope what I mean makes sense any way

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffany
claiming that proclaiming you don't conform is just conforming to the ideal of un-conformity.
I have thought exactly this so many times. I think you are so right!

11-07-2005
scenester

conformity or lack there of seems to be of inertest to more people than ever before.the conformists create the non conformists(or is that the other way round?).this is a vicious circle (especially now that mtv has trademarked everything "alternative")that just kind of randomly oscillates between what ever the hell people like to wear at the time and whatever people like to wear at someothertime.
it is interesting that people are addressing things in terms of conformity when choosing what to wear.it seems odd that this would take precedence over aesthetics or comfort when choosing clothes.
the main problem i have with it though is that one pair of jeans can only be so different from another pair of jeans.when every anyone says "look at me i'm so normal/abnormal/trendy/individual" they are still basically wearing the same clothes that people have been for a hundred plus years now.i see it as somewhat futile to ever claim that anything you wear makes you that different to somebody else who is also wearing pants.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
chic, skank