How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-07-2005
scenester

"3 Cold sores."

I have to admit I got a little chuckle out of this. I mean, nothing says chic like a sore, right?

11-07-2005
kit
tfs star

Fellow Skanksters ,

IN an attempt to boil it all down into a nutshell , I'd put it all down to a return to ' heroin chic ' as an antidote to the ' ladylike , sophisticated woman ' that Pilati at YSL and Elbaz at Lanvin , have so much placed in the public's eye .
It's a ' youth ' kick as opposed to the more mature look , which has metamorphosed for the younger set into ' BOHO ' , which is now supposed to be so ' over ' .

Look at the Primark , Babooska chic , Balenciaga - Gaultier knockoffs thread , and compare that with the chav-laden significance of wanting to be one of ' THE GREAT UNWASHED ' - eg ' skanky ( smelly ) chic ' -GEDDIT - of this drug fuelled , bitch-slapping and fighting on The Eurostar cross-channel ' luxury ' train , but ironically , like so many trash rednecks on a trailer park .

It's horrid to get so ' snobbish ' in one's definitions , but truck with such ' movements ' in ' fashion ' , demands this ' getting on down and be dirrttyy ' aspect of the whole damn shoot . AND there's NO such hypocritical and perfunctory hesitancy on the part of the fashion press in employing such terms , for its own purposes .

With the success of one kind of ' hip ' comes the polar opposite - " Je vous crachez sur vos tombes !!!! " kind of attitude , and sometimes , if not always the fallout is far from perfume-scented .

The cynical attitude of the front row at the Dior Homme runway show ( look at Getty Pics of last Tuesday , posted on here in the Dior Homme S/S 06 thread ) last week says it all , utterly relentlessly chic ' muses ' , like Amanda Harlech , disporting a Pete Doherty pork-pie hat , left me speechless with astonishment if not of wonderment , CERTAINLY NOT ENCHANTMENT .

It's what's called ' pour epater les bourgeois ' in layman's and laywomen's terms .
Apologies for my unconscious chauvinism .

PLease excuse me , if I've sounded pretentious , it is FAR from my intentions .

Prententious ? Moi ?

11-07-2005
trendsetter

Well said. You are forgiven . Despite that, I still think I'm gonna buy dark-dirty straight skinny jeans. i'm thinking of these. I can get them free from work I think....

Last edited by pinksatin; 11-07-2005 at 12:12 PM.
11-07-2005
rising star

Kate Moss isn't looking so great recently in my opinion, but I don't really think she's skanky.

Being stinky isn't beautiful or fashionable, its just being stinky.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by travolta
up next:? smelly scratch and sniff t-shirts w/ bloody mary and jack daniel stains.

--Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., "Cat's Cradle"
12-07-2005
front row

To me, it's so much more than the clothing. You can wear the trashed clothing, the bed head, and the smudged eye makeup, whatever... to me, it all comes to a point when you act as skanky as you look. And as someone said before, that's going to be hard to filter into the mainstream

Rebaptising my badness

Quote:
Originally Posted by style_savy
kinda ironic how the non-mainstream crowd follows trends as well. I guess in trying to be different people often end up just looking the same. That is why I never really got the whole punk look and their catch phrase of "I wanna be different I don't wanna look like everyone else your all sheep blah blah..." cause every punk looks the same to me
But let's not forget, originally punk was all about being unique. If what you mean by punk is the guy from Green Day or Avril Lavigne (or the sub-so-called-"punk" movement grunge and their followers) then it's just phoney and trendy, not punk.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemova
But let's not forget, originally punk was all about being unique. If what you mean by punk is the guy from Green Day or Avril Lavigne (or the sub-so-called-"punk" movement grunge and their followers) then it's just phoney and trendy, not punk.
that's true - I think it definitely started as a movement intended to be unique, and then it got co-opted *cough* mtv* *cough* and turned into avril lavigne and hot topic madness

front row

"white trash beautiful, trailerpark queen" ...I love that song... but cold sores, dirty fingernails, ....hmmmm, I dont think so...

It reminds me of a mix of grunge and punk.....

12-07-2005
Push it to pop it!

The grunge look is definitely coming back- at least from what i can see..

The careless-dirty hipster look seems to be catching on at my school.

...and have u seen D&G lately?

JUSTIN*

12-07-2005
Frozen irony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlucky
"3 Cold sores."

I have to admit I got a little chuckle out of this. I mean, nothing says chic like a sore, right?

You are like, SO right!

12-07-2005
front row

I don't know where this cold sore thing came from, can't find the article or whatever it is, but from the re-quotes here it seems like the article is saying, 3 cold sores...one would've been ok, two would've been acceptable, but three is out of the question.

--Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., "Cat's Cradle"
12-08-2005
scenester

I'm a bit angry with this trend becoming super popular- because its rebellious, "jemenfiche" aura will start to fade away and give place to conformity and skankyness.
When a trend is adopted en masse by Hollywood starlets, pop singers et co, it's a sure sign for me to ditch that trend, as it will begin to "deteriorate" in one way or another (symbolically and quality wise).
Btw, for those of you wonderin why Lindsay Lohan was mentioned in that article alongside Kate Moss, have a look-from vogue.co.uk, august 11, 05 (although here she names Kate Moss's style boho chic, but i think both skank chic and boho chic might be placed by some under the same hat) "LINDSAY LOHAN puts Sienna Miller's style all down to Kate Moss. The 19-year-old actress admits she is a die-hard Moss fan, and couldn't believe that boho chic only took hold when Sienna hit the limelight last year. "Kate Moss is my fashion icon," Lohan told CONTACTMUSIC.COM. "She looks great. She wears things that could take someone hours to put together, but she probably doesn't take that much time. It's boho chic, which is very in right now. Yeah, [I like Sienna], but Kate started that." "

Procrastinator.

Quote:
It's widely agreed that current usage of 'skank' as a derogatory term was first established by the twin powers of the New York Post's outrageously salacious gossip column PageSix and by Gawker, leading light of the media blog world.
This is slightly OT, but what a ludicrous claim. Regular folks have been using the word "skank" in this manner for probably decades now.

13-08-2005
rising star

lol I like how the text goggle ad on this page right now is of "Danger of Gum Disease"

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
chic, skank