How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-03-2010
fashion elite

I think this neo grunge is simply hilarious.Seeing people like Frida and Monika give a shot at it,haha.

23-03-2010
rising star

Didn't know grunge ever left us...

I've naturally seemed to adopt this style of dressing every time I felt free, creative and rebellious.. Didn't even know I was being "grunge" although at one stage around 14-15 years old I was listening to Grunge music, I was dressing in ripped jeans just cause I didn't give a stuff, was wearing converse day after day and I never brushed my hair, wore loose baggy clothing, just whatever I wanted.. wasn't so much a fashion statement but just an attitude..

I'm a few years older now, and the whole acid wash, vests, studs, androgynous style of clothing, plaids are just things i'll always love. I don't see them as trends, they just represent some kind of youthful spirit to me...

Last edited by allthatglitters; 23-03-2010 at 11:40 PM.
03-05-2010
windowshopping

Grunge + showers = yes.
At least somewhat. I work for a teen web series set in the 90s and we are always searching ebay for great grunge ensembles. See the croquis our fabulous costume designer whipped up a few seasons ago.

Plaid shirts, cut offs, docs, overalls, chucks holding it together by a few threads. I don't think grunge ever completely left... you just have to update things. We definitely have fun using the not-okay trends as well though! Check it. http://www.orangejuiceinbishopsgarden.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan 1, hunter.jpg (295.9 KB, 8 views)

07-05-2010
V.I.P.

I actually like grunge. Nothing wrong with that

08-05-2010
windowshopping

Not going to lie, I'm so sick of seeing boys with long, greasy, unwashed and unbrushed hair at my school.

05-06-2013
V.I.P.

no updates? I think grunge is just around the corner again. would love to see some cool grungy eds here.

06-06-2013
V.I.P.

Gala Germany 2013

Come as You Are – Grunge style is coming back in a big way, and the latest issue of Gala Germany highlights the trend with a series shot and styled by Alexx and Anton. Models Franzi Mueller and Katrin Thormann sport the new grunge style featuring spring brights mixed with plaids, oversized silhouettes and casual tees. Snapped against a sunny field backdrop, the duo rocks pieces from the likes of Dior, Chanel, Dries van Noten and Marni in the fashion forward images. Hair and makeup by Jochen Pahs, Casting by Juergen Schabes

fashiongonerogue.com

06-07-2013
front row

There's aspects of it that are still good.

10-07-2013
V.I.P.

i see grunge as a prime example of how culture has toned down "dressing up" overall. i was looking at older ysl couture shows and damn they DRESSED, it was fundamentally about elegance and accentuating the body, now the tendency is to hide the form with looser clothing (maybe because we have more to hide)...as the years have passed the more casual mode of dress challenges design to take dressing down and make it unique once again, but not grimy grunge, i like to think of it as inspired grunge.

12-07-2013
V.I.P.

^ Nice "inspired grunge"

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
02-08-2013
The future is stupid

US Elle August 2013 | Amanda Seyfried by Carter Smith
Hair:
Harry Josh
Makeup: Polly Osmond
Stylist: Joe Zee

fashion_scans_remastered-amnda_seyfried-elle_usa-august_2013-scanned_by_vampirehorde-hq-2.jpg

source | fashionscansremastered.net via serendipity8777

02-08-2013
The future is stupid

MODERN GRUNGE
Elle Sweden August 2013

Model: Signe Belfiore
Hair: Linda Shalabi
Make-up: Sophia Eriksen
Stylist: Jenny Fredriksson
Photographer: Eric Broms

source | visualoptimism.blogspot.com via meidude

08-08-2013
V.I.P.

La Garconne has a little featurette on the return of Grunge, called "Daydream Nation Redux":

http://www.lagarconne.com/store/feat...ion-Redux.html

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
12-08-2013
The future is stupid

GRUNGE FEVER
Vogue Paris September 2013
Model:
Saskia de Brauw
Stylist: Emmanuelle Alt
Photographers: Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

Vogue_Paris_September_2013_cover.jpg
source | vogueparis.tumblr

15-08-2013
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullepen View Post
I think this neo grunge is simply hilarious.Seeing people like Frida and Monika give a shot at it,haha.
Wow-- 3 years ago!

Seeing grunge resurrected as The Look for A/W 2013-14 is beyond a huge joke that I'm not sure everyone's in on. It's one thing for high fashion to pick up on the latest youthquake style-- but grunge already exists as a style-identity for so many young people already for years now, that to see fashion push it now just seems desperately random and pointless (and behind the times).

I hate it when high fashion and designers take on a style that's a fringe subculture and copy it literally, but with an exorbitant price attache to it. It just further impresses on the general public that caricature of high fashion as purely clueless and superfluous-- Edina Monsoon being the postergirl for that type (they do exist!).

I think it's fine when designers style their collections with a grunge attitude, and editorials have grunge themes. But to see designs that could be had at thrift stores, charity shops and even fast-fashion outlets like H&M and TopShop for an extremely high pricetag-- is such a hook, line and sinker for the fashion victims.

Seeing that main edit with Saskia in Vogue Paris just confirms how the well has run completely dry with all these supposed movers and shakers of the industry. There's absolutely no new take anymore. Mert & Marcus continue to copy concepts and looks from the 90s, as they always do--just with sleeker production, courtesy of Photoshop. That editorial is a literal copy of the grunge one by Meisel for Vogue US in 1992. I didn't like it then (but at least it was somewhat relevant), and I hate it now.

I see kids dress in grunge all the time and I think that's perfectly fine and cool-- because that's their lives. I hope all the adults with a steady paycheque who may be remotely interested in fashion don't start dressing like this because superrich and superfamous Hedi and Emanuelle said so.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
grunge, smells