How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-07-2006
fashion elite

Why is grunge so disgusting?

I don't get it.

24-07-2006
earthbound

Michael Pitt portrayed grunge pretty well in Last Days, but that style made him lose all his appeal.

24-07-2006
front row

Quote:
Why is grunge so disgusting?

I don't get it.
Yea, I don't either.

I don't think any look works when taken literally and wholesale.

But I like elements of grunge. The layering, the long skirts, muted colors, the cocooning. At least that's my idea of grunge.

24-07-2006
fashion icon

hum..i dont know this style so well
but..does how mary kate dress..or used to dress considered grunge?..she did dress pretty sloppy

24-07-2006
V.I.P.

I like grunge best in the days when fashion was moving into minimalism. That half way period. There was a purity to the movement, rather than a messiness. The era that heroin chic represented and Kate Moss straddled.

24-07-2006
This is the Renaissance

Well, when you really think about it, ALL popular music is a regurgitation of the past. The artistry lies in the difference between copying it wholesale or taking elements and crafting it into something new.

Hmmm, a little like fashion, no?

And I'm in Seattle and sadly, grunge never left here. The thing that people don't really understand is that it's not a fashion statement, it's just how a segment of population here dresses. Grown men wear plaid shirts with shorts, long johns and boots and they are not trying to be cool, they are just going to work. The bands that dressed this way just grew up dressing this way. Not that that excuses it!

25-07-2006
front row

Wishing death on someone kind of makes you a prick doesn't it? Kurt was talented. I don't care where he got his inspiration from, or what was written about him in magazines. I listen to enough music to appreciate that he had talent

25-07-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diorling
Alright...

Anyways, Grunge is sooo...ugh, even the word Grunge makes me think of a dirty dumpster behind a Pico de Pollo restaurant. I hope Grunge ain't coming back...

Lolita you mentioned conformity, isn't it sort of a contradiction that something non comformist became a huge trend? I love those who like to me nonconformist (and are proud) when in essence they're truly conforming to just another point of view...
just a little harsh!

I love Kurt!

25-07-2006
tfs star

I think Kurt openly admitted to the Pixies being better than anything he has ever did. At least he knew his place. He probably killed himself because he saw what Courtney Love was going to look like in 10 years time.

25-07-2006
fashion icon

grunge is my favorite type of music.i grew up with it and i loved the fashion sense..thats when i really developed and payed attention to a style of dress so ill always love it...

i think thats why i will always in some way like marc jacobs...cause he is rooted in the grunge style

flaunt the imperfection..

unfortunately...it is officially back and every single magazine is doing grunge stories for fall...

thanks - once again - to mr marc jacobs......

25-07-2006
Procrastinator.

It's not officially back, in my opinion, until I see a real life person stroll by wearing something that makes a little voice in my head squeal, "That's grunge!"

Seriously, I'll know it when I see it. A couple editorials are worthless if people aren't actually wearing the stuff.

26-07-2006
front row

nope, Kurt Cobain, was way way way better than Pixies, although they were good too. He was a genius, and he was a beautiful person, looking as well as personality. He was magical, and a true grunge icon!

26-07-2006
front row

what would everyone defines the term "grunge", style-wise?

I think lots of different people have different comcepts of the term. I just want to be clear.

26-07-2006
fashion elite

Quote:
Michael Pitt portrayed grunge pretty well in Last Days, but that style made him lose all his appeal.

He isn't no being grunge anymore, I don't know in he really ever felt it. To me he looks like he's trying to hard, to Kurt Cobain and quite mainstream grunge. Those two words don't fit in the same equation.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
grunge, smells