How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-01-2011
trendsetter

I just wanted to post again now that we've seen a few snows this winter and I've actually gotten use out of them. I'm sooo happy I bought them. On ice, everything is slippery, it is the nature of ice so you still have to be careful but they are 100x better than any leather or even rubber soled "good looking but not for weather" boots. The tread is serious. And yeah they are a little clunky but so warm. And the lining comes out so you can warm it on the heating vent at home. I don't see these as trendy, they will last me a long time. Just recommending again for anyone who need boots for wintery conditions and spends any amount of time outside. And for those who worry about how they look, just bring another pair of shoes to work or school in your bag. It's not that hard.

04-02-2011
scenester

Almost everyone in Denmark is wearing Sorel boots in the winter, especially the brown Caribou ones and have been doing so at least ever since I moved here in 2003, so here I guess it's not just a passing trend. This winter I finally got myself a pair as well, not the Caribous though, but a pair of Joan of Arctis and I must say I love them! For once my toes are not freezing, even with just a pair of thin socks on. Plus they are waterproof, which is necessary when biking the streets of Copenhagen especially in the late autumn, early spring

rising star

Snow is no excuse to wear fugly "functional" boots! Plenty of nice looking ones out there. What next? Too rainy to wear silk?

15-02-2011
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgi View Post
Snow is no excuse to wear fugly "functional" boots! Plenty of nice looking ones out there. What next? Too rainy to wear silk?
Well, for me the Sorels are nice looking. Too bad they look ugly to you.

front row

^ Agreed. The two are not mutually exclusive. In fact, I think fashion without function when it comes to dealing with the cold just makes for a fashion victim. I would laugh if I saw a girl wearing a silk dress during -20 degree weather, no matter if it was Lanvin.

earthbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgi View Post
Any brand suggestions I should look out for, in similar price range?

I feel like there aren't many options for boots made to walk at least an hour in snow and in cold weather... and with good soles that won't slip on ice. Now I don't live in Northwest Territories but we get pretty crazy snowstorms where I live, and sometimes rain that covers the whole streets with ice (perfect for accidents). I've browsed every website for every local shoe store and Sorels are the only ones that fit the criterias... surely they're not the only choice?

25-11-2011
backstage pass

^
Still looking for a stylish, warm and non-slippery winter boots that aren't Sorel or Sorel inspired ...Haven't found them.

26-11-2011
V.I.P.

What about Pajar boots? Besides the Sorel brand, they are big here in Quebec where we have pretty harsh winters.

I'm thinking of getting a pair but still deciding between them, and the Sorel-Joan of Arctic Reserve. What do you guys think?

Credit:Brownsshoes.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61627_013_3.jpg (88.7 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg 61627_033_3.jpg (92.7 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 68277_013_3.jpg (85.8 KB, 84 views)

26-11-2011
V.I.P.

Totally inspired by the way Amanda Brooks wore her Sorels.

vogue.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg am brooks.jpg (238.2 KB, 12 views)

26-11-2011
earthbound

^^ I prefer the Sorel ones, as bulky as they are, they still look a little more lady-like. The Pajars are almost moonboot-like.

I love the model Amanda Brooks is wearing! They're the exact same pair I had my eyes on.

27-11-2011
TNF
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyisle View Post
What about Pajar boots? Besides the Sorel brand, they are big here in Quebec where we have pretty harsh winters.

I'm thinking of getting a pair but still deciding between them, and the Sorel-Joan of Arctic Reserve. What do you guys think?

Credit:Brownsshoes.com
The third one looks nice.

V.I.P.

Yeah I think I'm going to go with the Sorels. I tried the Pajars and while warm and comfortable, they make my size 9 feet look like bricks lol.

I also tried the Sorel Sorelia Earharts(ugh the names) and they were good too. Sleeker than the usual ones.

calibex.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 49916.122799_d.jpg (7.1 KB, 70 views)

27-11-2011
front row

Not in my wildest dreams I would have thought Sorel boots would become a "trend". For me it is something to keep my toes from falling off in the winter. Anyways, to each their own.

27-11-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolbeaujesse View Post
Not in my wildest dreams I would have thought Sorel boots would become a "trend". For me it is something to keep my toes from falling off in the winter. Anyways, to each their own.
Amen (Montreal brotha)

27-11-2011
V.I.P.

I agree my Montreal brotha lol. I had a pair as a child in the eighties and they
were just what you wore to keep dry and warm.
It's nice that they've added new styles though.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
boots, sorel