That's sooo 2000s - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
10-01-2010
trendsetter

Von dutch

10-01-2010
®

somebody's mentioned this earlier but minis and leggings remind me sooo much of 00s. Ripped leggings too. Also the Kate Moss look.

trendsetter

where did they say von dutch?

10-01-2010
rising star

To me, 00's trends mean... low rise jeans and pants (and even skirts?), trucker caps a la Ashton Kutcher, uggs of course, distressed denim, ponchos (they had their 15 minutes of fame), layering tees, the black nail polish craze, emo kids, "scene" kids, then hipsters, ed hardy (sadly it seems the trend is continuing into this decade).

There were some "good" trends too I think, like ballet flats. And platform heels. Both of which aren't really new I guess, just reinterpretations of old styles, but I still love them all the same :p

11-01-2010
scenester

Skinny jeans and prairie skirts. Don't get me wrong--I still wear skinnies, but there was a point around 2004 or so when I thought I'd vomit if I saw another floral cotton prairie skirt. Ugh!

11-01-2010
front row

t-shirts that showed bellybottoms a-la britney

front row

jeans-and-blazers

11-01-2010
trendsetter

about Von Dutch trucker hats. I thankfully forgot about those (and proudly never owned or wanted to own one) but that is one that deserved to be buried/burned.

A lot of the things mentioned so far are things I don't think are "over" yet or I think they are classic or deserve to stay around longer in various cases. In my opinion anyway.

Examples for me (in orange is exceptions or what I think is a trend to go):

•leggings (with a covered bottom) are ok and warmer than tights in winter cooler than pants in summer
•ballet flats are classic and don't seem trendy to me, just a form of flat shoe
•I think converse shoes have been consistently worn since their creation. Maybe they were a trend, but I kind of see them as a forever thing. At least the classic-looking ones, not the ones with crazy prints and patterns.
•various styles of rayban are classics that have been around for decades and should stay around for decades longer, the neon and silly ones can go though
• black nail polish, although not the hottest shade right now, still seems ok to me, like I think we are in an age where any shade on nails is acceptable
•hollister and A&F styles, while not anything I personally like or buy, have been and will continue to be popular among adolescents in the future (at least I think they will be)
•skinny jeans seem like something that should stay if they look good on you, in general I think people should just wear whatever silhouette looks best on them, so if it's skinnies then keep em. If it's boot or trouser leg go for it. I don't think those should be trends so much as personal styles
• but low rise w/ thongs and destroyed denim are a come-and-go thing. I am glad ultra low rise is gone but it seems destroyed is obviously back, at least everything isn't destroyed though this time
• I don't think american apparel is a trend, it is just a store. if you mean the '80s aerobics instructor look they endorse then I agree but I will still buy their t shirts and sweatshirts. Those are just basics so I don't see them as a trend.
• juicy couture track suits/ sweatpants and velour track suits in general are definite trends to go
•knock-off CL brogues were definitely saturating stores like 2 years ago
•wide belts at the low hip over tunic length tops
•immediately afterwards wide belts cinching every waist on every outfit
• huge bug-like frames for sunglasses
•rectangular narrow eyeglasses
•crocs!!!! may they RIP

Last edited by pinksatin; 11-01-2010 at 11:12 PM.
11-01-2010
fashion icon

PARIS HILTON
Dita von Teese
Abercrombie and Fitch
Blink 182
Ricky Martin

12-01-2010
backstage pass

here would be my list....

earlier in the decade:

-- "low rise jeans" - remember all those crazy articles about how scandalous it was that it was obvious Paris was getting bikini waxes etc?
-- DEFINITELY the olsen/sienna boho trend... those long flowy skirts, gladiator sandals, baggy tshirts, layered beaded necklaces, long sweaters
-- balenciaga purses
-- leggings
-- "METROSEXUAL" / queer eye for the straight guy fashion for dudes: ill-advised plum and pink shirts with suits... in general a sort of yuppie chic for young men
-- those awful scrunchy velour babydoll dresses, and juicy couture sweatsuits
-- sex and the city style: lil' sundresses and manolos and louboutins

mid decade:
-- neon nu-rave tshirts, big colourful sneakers
-- more toned down boho and like 70s laidback chic: earth tones, flat boots over jeans, long wavy hair, bangs, scarves, braided belts, general "hipster vintage" look
-- leather jackets
-- 'hip hop' style becoming more refined -- movement toward 'streetwear' and all those sort of urban menswear sites, etc. 'streetwear' lines getting more fashion recognition -- hellz bellz, etc
-- 'formal shorts'
-- for teenagers, that pop punk/mall goth style, and abercrombie and fitch
-- selvage/dry denim
-- "trashy suburban americana" : diesel sneakers, uggs, von dutch, ed hardy

late decade:
-- erin wasson chic, shorts over tights, ripped jeans -- the boho/70s trend made a little bit tougher
-- those white YSL tank tops + chanel tshirts, often badly and deliberately imitated
-- anything anyone wears on gossip girl, for cryign out loud that's going to be as much of a cultural fashion touchpoint as 'clueless' one day... also "mean girls"
-- goth/tough/structural/architectural/minimalist -- but i think that will all move more into the next decade....

Last edited by lafindesiecle; 12-01-2010 at 10:40 AM.
12-01-2010
trendsetter

belly piercings...

12-01-2010
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Wow, I'm already feeling nostalgic - and it's only 2010!

The (mostly unfortunate) stand-outs of the past decade, to me:

-UGGS
-velour track suits (J Lo)
-Long necklaces
-deep v shirts (AA)
-oversized bags

etc., etc.

12-01-2010
front row

Quote:
Uggs

My wife and I went to Tyson'd Corner Mall in McLEan Virginny and it was cold last Sunday, but I would say over 53% of women had on Uggs or a copy. You may think they are "out of style" with all due respect, but they are a classic because women will wear them because they are warm and comfortable for walking in a mall. This mall is probably one of top 5 malls in USA.

Quote:
ugh the whole ugg thing was/still is revolting. especially with juicy sweatpants and mini jean skirts.
Yes I think them with sweat pants is sloppy. and jean skirts is "pas-say" (sp?) but Uggs in general are not going away. Nordstrom had 2 "exclusively Nordstrom" styles- classic short in metalic with mini Ugg logo and the short mini Baliey Button short in leopard. Both sold out and some ladies bought extras and sold them on Ebay for $250 instead of $149. Uggs are not going away. Plus they have the Bailey Button in pinlk and purple and at least the pinks are back ordered.

Uggs will one day be a classic like ballet flats. The doctors and lawyers wives have too much money and power. ((( Thant is a PRS guitar joke)))

Last edited by Aradia-Renee; 12-01-2010 at 09:26 PM.
12-01-2010
front row

I did not like over sise bags. My wife wanted one and I reminded her that she only needs is lipstick. $50. a driver's license for ID and an ATM card... Then the rest of oversized purse is tissue paper.

15-01-2010
backstage pass

In the mid '00 there was a 'bling'-period influenced by hiphop-style. Everything had to be coverd in crystals and diamonds, (all fake ofcourse).

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2000s, sooo