How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-03-2010
Geometric Discharge

Trend Predictions for S/S 2011
I've seen just a few small trends that I think other designers may pick up on next season. Have you?

Ankle-length Skirts

Fendi, Aquascutum
John Galliano

The Drop-Waist

Bottega Veneta
John Galliano (same pic I know )

style.com
nowfashion.com

07-03-2010
front row

i definitely think maxi skirts will be big for s/s 2011

08-03-2010
V.I.P.

me too, I think things might get a little 1997 in the upcoming seasons, probably (and hopefully) for a short time but I feel like longer, tighter silhouettes might come into the picture again.. esp. in the gothic-ish way Ann, Tisci and even Wang presented this season.

something a bit like this, but longer.. sorry for posting an ad, just can't think of a bigger example, it's been a while since the late 90s.

[bwgreyscale]

the colors seem to be getting more raw, less brighter, and I think embroideries will be big but very subtle, not like we've been doing them in such a bohemian, countryside way..

psst. thanks for starting this, CD, it's been a while since we had a thread for predictions!

Geometric Discharge

^ It actually shocks me how much fashion and tastes have changed since the nineties.

I can see body-con definately staying popular (more money to Max Azria at Herve Leger), Lagerfeld said the silhouette is remaining the same right now (body conscious) and so innovation in fabrics is essential.

08-03-2010
backstage pass

I think brown is slowly coming back. Not sure what I think about that..

08-03-2010
backstage pass

I love the dropped waisted coats.

The only type of long skirt I wear are the bohemian flowy types you see in the spring and summer. Other than that, I don't think maxi skirts will be for me. lol

09-03-2010
girl who fell to earth

i can definitely see the drop-waist sticking around for SS 11...
maxi lengths too i guess...
but probably we'll be seeing more skirts, like you mentioned CD...

the maxi dress has already picked up so much steam in the last couple years so I'm guessing that will stick around a bit longer

how "juniors" does that maybelline ad look now!
i can definitely see a renaissance of those long, tight sort of column dresses...

09-03-2010
Geometric Discharge

Just general longer skirts will be in I think, Yves Saint Laurent did a selection in calf-length and full-length. Don't you think the former looks unusual? I think it's because I think of it as an old-fashioned length.

This one calf-length skirt at Fendi looked especially old-fashioned to me with the yellow floral print.

style.com

09-03-2010
girl who fell to earth

i think the calf length can be so tough to wear... hits right at the biggest part of the calf and if you don't have thin legs then you can look a bit "stumpy"
and it's definitely a more "old fashioned" look but there's something i like about it

10-03-2010
Geometric Discharge

A modern take with short drop-waist dresses at Miu Miu

nowfashion.com

10-03-2010
Geometric Discharge

Marc Jacobs presented an entire collection of below-the-knee or calf-length skirts and dresses for Louis Vuitton.

catwalking.com

10-03-2010
backstage pass

I've got the information from premiere vision :
It's a fabric show, so I think it's focus on fabrics and colour more the silhouttes or desigm

Spirit of the season:

-Undispersed, the seaon opens onto new horizons. It shuffles fashion periods like the cards of a deck, to structure solutions that are more natural, simpler and more accurate. It urges us to make choices that lead to an alternate present, to embrace the lightness of futility, the capital in dreams, the freshness of fanciful energy. It goes one step beyond to cultivate the pertinence of blends over pure compostions, advocating the inimitable and sowing the seeds of deep alliances between styles and genres. It accentuates dissonance, to bring out striaghtforward developments where the visible tends carefully to the invisible, where the tactile perfects the subtle. It nourishes surprise, conveys the positive side to risk and imagines a nature that is new, strange and marvellous, beneficial and futuristic. It sparks a taste for relaed elegance and confirms the creative power of weavers to create dense and fluid, lively and deliciously material silhouttes. A season like a powerful, substantial nad lightweight motot, to banish monotony and show itself in broad daylight.

I will try to upload the images of the rest which is the fancy / formal and talored / casualwear / technical trends.

fashion insider

I think SS11 will be a slightly "heavier" season, with the drop-waists and the darker colours that are slowly taking over the SS10 pastels.

backstage pass

I'm loving that purple dropped waist dress.

I'd prefer the calf length to the ankle length.

Ankle length looks too frumpy.

10-03-2010
front row

I think the trend predictions CD identified are already trends. Their appearances have been subtle up until now.

Tags
2011, predictions, s or s, trend