Trend Predictions S/S 2012 - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-09-2011
In Bloom

More dresses, please!

we were in love

08-09-2011
backstage pass

I'm expecting/wanting to see a season full of references to the London Olympics.

Fashion journalism should be more than just a personal shopping wish list based on little more than empty whimsy. Because let's face it when we talk of 'the season' we mean the output of USA, UK, Italy and France - the West.
What cultural message is being sent to the rest of the world? At a time when the West is in absolute turmoil, what are we saying via the language of dress - does the West have a future? When there's zero confidence anywhere else, does the fashion industry dare to lead up a message of hope in the future?

Can we at last get away from backward looking nostalgia, escape the grip of all too much retro, and find faith in youthfulness.

This means I want to see this 'Lady' thing be a one season phenomena. Out with the old. Goodbye 'antiquism'. It's similar in a way to what Formichetti was saying. Faith in the new.

In terms of dominant bodyshape/silhouette - not waifs, nor curves. The narrow hips of the athlete; the strong hamstrings of the gymnast/dancer; the powerful shoulders of the swimmer; the toughness of the boxer; the lean worked abs of all of them. Neither laziness nor bloatedness - lean, fit,
muscular and ready for action.

We saw a nod to this kind of muscular silhouette with the nipped in waist and hard almost exoskeletons last season in the trend identified by Crying Diamonds above to which I'd add Giles and Stella Mac.

It's always a lure for summer to go light, floaty, ephemeral. But enough hippies already. I'm looking for-

Sports references
Sports fabrics
Future fabric technology
Bodycon silhouettes - (Donatella to return Versace to it's signature forms)
The raglan sleeve

Colour can be bold - brights again, neons, ok - no wishy washy nature based palettes. And perhaps an emphasis on red, white and blue. Apart from the bit of green for Italy, the colours of the flags of the Western alliance - and the sports kits for the Olympics. Gold can work too.

An emphasis on the core of the West - so anglomania. And of course the US is still the big kahuna so references to Americana but avoiding over-reliance on the 50s. Denim, ok. Faith in the American dream. British country heritage ok so long as it can be done without backwardness or ladyism. Equestrianism, ok.

Grecian references too - ancient Greece, the roots of western civilisation and birthplace of the Olympics. Mythology.

If there's a retro decade it's ok to reference (without literalism of course) - it's the 80s. The sportsy, technology wielding, strong-shouldered futurism aspects of the 80s. But not too much to do with corporatism or banking - no boardroom tailleur or backward looking conservatism, no 50's. Unless those aspects are being deconstructed.

We've already seen this summer coming up from London streetwear a nod to 80's referenced sportsiness with ie the prevalence of the hyper wide bateau necked (sometimes cropped and/or roughly hewn) sweatshirts or tops worn off slouched off one shoulder.

Stemming also from the muscular, hard body, silhouette, a sense of androgyny is also permissable. But not too much smarts, not LeSmoking but street tough, sportsy - vitality, energy, casual, youthful.

So away with too much fussy embellishment. Clean lines to the body. But neither the sterility of minimalism. Boldness. A sense of inventiveness.

I remain of course open minded to the fabulous ingenuity of our best designers and to being led to a whole new understanding of the sartorial zeitgeist. Let's hope it's an interesting season. We need something positive from somewhere. Come on fashion let's see you lead the way and create some confidence beyond the depressing mess of the 'real' world and the failure of the 'olds' who've led the West to the edge of the precipice.

11-09-2011
I don't know

^Happy to read your thoughts!

While we've had a lot of referencing to the past in fashion I still don't see it as recycling or old. Because it's presented in a new way, however we twist it the looks will never be completely old because they're worn by the modern body, the modern kind of beauty and the modern body. While influences are highly visible, it's never a complete recycling when I see a collection of 'lady like' quality.

05-01-2012
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGIN View Post
Florals in every category of clothing will be in for sure.
I totally agree. I just wrote about this in my blog. I'm loving how the prints are big this year (not like in seasons past).

flaunt the imperfection

well- duh!......

it's easy to say what the trends are once they have already gone down the runway in several cities...
this thread was only interesting BEFORE the shows...
that's why we now have separate threads on each trend for this season...

we definitely got some right...
but some of us were very very wrong...

Last edited by softgrey; 05-01-2012 at 03:33 PM.

08-01-2012
Geometric Discharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
well- duh!......

it's easy to say what the trends are once they have already gone down the runway in several cities...
this thread was only interesting BEFORE the shows...
that's why we now have separate threads on each trend for this season...

we definitely got some right...
but some of us were very very wrong...
I don't think I've seen another corset since I mentioned those from winter!
While your neon prediction became pastels - though acid yellow is pretty neon!

08-01-2012
#Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayote View Post
Dresses are in but I want the 50s style dresses back.

Now those were feminine dresses, unlike the large lenghty dresses that are all over the high street. Yuck!
I think this is our winner!!

Well, we needn't feel bad ... even fashion professionals tend to be quite poor at predictions from what I've seen. There's a reason Marc Jacobs is Marc Jacobs ... tuning into the zeitgeist isn't nearly as easy as lots of people would like to believe ...

08-01-2012
windowshopping

The whole "Under Water" vibe was very prominent.... Thin sirens and mermaids like at Versace... “I was thinking of sirens and mermaids, their hot sexuality." Seahorses, shells, and starfish popped up everywhere with a muted palette of colors like lavender, mint green, baby pink and blue, and yellow.
At Chanel, the Grand Palais was transformed into a sea world... mother of pearls, sea creature inspired accessories and iridescent, frothy, mermaid-like clothes were all over the runway. I'm really liking this look. It's a theme we haven't seen yet and it's perfectly appropriate for the warm weather to look forward to.

09-01-2012
windowshopping

seeing a LOT of neon at Sass and bide and gold.

backstage pass

^ it makes me cringe. sass and bide actually have some good stuff this season (loving the striped casual pants etc) but a lot of girls tend to head straight to the OTT tacky neon and embellished sass and bide stuff. though it is much less over-killed than it was about 2-3 years ago with all the harness dresses etc.

09-01-2012
Geometric Discharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
I think this is our winner!!

Well, we needn't feel bad ... even fashion professionals tend to be quite poor at predictions from what I've seen. There's a reason Marc Jacobs is Marc Jacobs ... tuning into the zeitgeist isn't nearly as easy as lots of people would like to believe ...
Alber's new silhouettes for pre-fall were pretty 50's in their volume, a bit of Balenciaga, a bit of Stepford Wife skirt.

09-01-2012
#Resist

^ Yeah, I think the 50s were very directional this season ... I wasn't being sarcastic

I just meant (2nd para) that typically tFS predictions aren't that accurate ... I've had some winners myself in the past, but I have to be more immersed than I am right now. Wouldn't it be useful if fashion magazines could accurately tell you which trends are going to die a sudden death, and which have a lot of life in them? Sometimes they try, and as often as not, they're wrong. Predictions are quite difficult.

That's why I have gotten away from paying attention to fashion, and just following my own taste, which is much more reliable

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 09-01-2012 at 08:13 PM.
10-01-2012
Geometric Discharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ Yeah, I think the 50s were very directional this season ... I wasn't being sarcastic
I know, I was giving recent examples

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, predictions, s or s, trend