How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

15-08-2009
V.I.P.

I second you on the ripped stuff hate. I was in Burlington Coat Factory (I know, it's bad...I was only there trying to find new side-tie string bikini bottoms to match my top) and if you look over in Junior's, every second or third pair of jeans is ripped somewhere. My parents never let me out of the house in ripped jeans, and I am glad for it. Ripped hose? Pantyhose should be banned in the first place, and if your tights have a rip then they've finished their lifetime. (To me: Tights=coloured, a thicker material, textured, and/or otherwise detailed. Hose=sheer, skintone or black (thin material), ugly)

15-08-2009
Procrastinator.

I can't stand all the nasty unflattering trends that many wearers would have railed against not two years ago:

-- Crop tops
-- Pleated pants (if you have any hips to speak of, these do you no favors)
-- Light-wash denim
-- Keds
-- Denim cutoffs with the pockets sticking out the bottom (remember how Britney Spears used to wear these a couple of years ago and everyone got on her case about it?), especially when made out of '80s denim with the world's longest rise
-- Bowler hats
-- Jean vests

Basically anything that makes the wearer look like a Motley Crue groupie is bad, bad news.

http://www.shopstyle.com/users/hboogie

16-08-2009
doldrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by michyed View Post
The entire vintage-craze. I swear these kids in my school (well my school before I graduated) wear cheap-*** allergy-inducing 100% crappolyester stuff and always think they can get away by claiming that it is "vintage". It annoys me! There are some people who can definitely pull it off, but vintage is not an excuse for ****ty, cheap and granny-looking clothing!
It's amazing. The vintage trend is overkill. It's like whatever old clothing available is vintage. In my eyes vintage is something from 40+ years ago. I have a difficult time picturing clothing from the 90's and 80's vintage.

I agree Echoes. I'm over the dismantled jeans, tees and whatever else.

16-08-2009
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by silk skin paws View Post
In my eyes vintage is something from 40+ years ago. I have a difficult time picturing clothing from the 90's and 80's vintage.
Silk Skin Paws, I have to agree with you there. I do love vintage (I have a gorgeous 1940s beaded top) but anything later than the late 70's can't possibly be classed as vintage. When someone says vintage to me, it conjours up images of little tea dresses, victoriana and Vionnet gowns. Not a violently printed top found in the bargain bin of a charity shop - I'm all for thrifting, but just because it's second hand doesn't mean its vintage - just cheap!

16-08-2009
scenester

^ totally agree. I hate it when people call 90's stuff vintage on eBay, that's just old. Also when people can't appreciate the difference between vintage and second-hand. Obviously all vintage is second-hand, but it doesn't always work the other way round. Apparently anything pre-1960's counts as vintage, and anything from 1970's-80's counts as retro.

Also I know everyone loves him but Alexander Wang... I like the odd piece he does but I honestly don't see why anyone would spend £75 on a cotton vest top which isn't any better quality than a high street one for any other reason than the label. I just don't get the hype.

16-08-2009
Fashion Designer

i dont see whats the big deal with him either and everbody kissing his feet.

16-08-2009
rising star

basically anything you guys are wearing.

18-08-2009
blink once. blink twice.

Stripper heels. Go away, now.

19-08-2009
windowshopping

I've always disliked peep toe shoes.
I dislike the leather jacket trend (not all leather jackets are ugly, but what teens wear here are)
Also, the most gross thing ever is the very very high messy bun with the greasy roots showing in the style of sienna miller
but girls think its really hot to wear their hair up like that when it has gotten dirty

19-08-2009
windowshopping

It's not really a trend as such, but people that only wear a trend because it's a trend and for no other reason.
Or dressing in a certain style, ie the 80's which has been 'trendy' as of late, but knowing nothing about that time.

19-08-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothes_Addict View Post
When someone says vintage to me, it conjours up images of little tea dresses, victoriana and Vionnet gowns. Not a violently printed top found in the bargain bin of a charity shop - I'm all for thrifting, but just because it's second hand doesn't mean its vintage - just cheap!
People at my school say "vintage" because "thrifted" or "Goodwill" is seen as tacky. It isn't even semi-vintage a lot of the time -- it's like 5 years old. When someone asks me, I say "thrifted" or "Goodwill" because I don't own anything old enough and exquisite enough that I feel deserves the title "vintage."

And kaygilbert, I totally agree. A T-shirt is a T-shirt is a T-shirt, even if Alexander Wang's name is stamped on it. Cotton is cotton is cotton -- it's absolutely ridiculous to pay $50 or more for the same thing you get in a Hanes pack of three for $5.

19-08-2009
trendsetter

^ I agree, it is crazy to spend alot of money on plain t-shirts just because they are designer. I could never see myself doing that. I mean, really, who is going to know that it is an Alexander Wang t-shirt.

I also wish those all those plaid shirts in bright colors would go away

19-08-2009
backstage pass

^Ditto. I never got that trend. Blech.

20-08-2009
devil in the details

I loathe denim on denim trend! apparently its still going strong here, in Moscow, Russia. It annoys me. Denim jacket and jeans combo is NOT cool! they look like they fell out of 2001 or something

20-08-2009
front row

Quote:
I loathe denim on denim trend! apparently its still going strong here, in Moscow, Russia. It annoys me. Denim jacket and jeans combo is NOT cool! they look like they fell out of 2001 or something
When I lived in Thailand a few years ago, there were a tonne of Russians living there and they all wore denim on denim

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, sick, trends