How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

05-06-2010
tfs star

im getting sick of the romper thing...
ummmm ive been doing it for years. and NOW it's big? okee dokee.
over it!

07-06-2010
backstage pass

Anything by Guess! so tacky! especially those bags I see. And do you know what is even more tragic than someone carrying a guess bag? someone carrying a FAKE guess bag!!!

07-06-2010
Oh Yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastes_like_chic View Post
Anything by Guess! so tacky! especially those bags I see. And do you know what is even more tragic than someone carrying a guess bag? someone carrying a FAKE guess bag!!!

lmao so true.

07-06-2010
scenester

^ I find the same thing with any fake bag like fake Louis V. and Chanel. You're not buying it because you know ANYTHING about fashion, you're doing it to fit in or whatever.

07-06-2010
windowshopping

leggings + a skirt
raybans. i love them but i'm so sick of them being on every second person i see.

07-06-2010
front row

Loathe the leggings with a top that barely covers the behind look. So it's not a dress, it's just a longish top. I swear, every girl at my college deems it the ultimate everyday outfit.
It gets worse when the above top/leggings combo is teamed with UGGS. (And looks horrendous in the summer)
And the whole LACE thing - lace is a gorgeous fabric but it been taken down to the trashy depths of Hades when worn with nothing but horrible underwear. (See the same girls I spoke about above)
And I agree about Raybans - I'm sad as I've got my Mum's old pair she wore in the 80's but seeing them everywhere really puts me off wearing them.
DAMN. Phew rant ended.

Last edited by VesperLynx; 07-06-2010 at 04:29 PM.

07-06-2010
windowshopping

EVERYONE and their sister looking like copies of Zooey Deschanel.

I mean sure, she's super pretty, and has great music, and isn't a bad actress and by no means a bad dresser. But i'm starting to see soo many people looking like her;

-dark hair colors, straight across bangs, wavy/bedhead hair
-pale, extremely pale skin (i'm all for being natural, but trying to make your skin lighter and then saying people who tan are bad is just as fake).
-semi pin-up makeup
-vintage clothes, florals, ect.

And they listen to the 500 Days Of Summer going around screaming how " GUYZ OHEMGEE LOOKIT HOW INDIE I IZ!!"

We need more originality :/

07-06-2010
earthbound

I'm sick of those sandals that have fabric covering the ankle and going upwards...
The Margiela ones are OK since they have such a great sculptured shape, but every high street copy just looks sloppy.

07-06-2010
backstage pass

oh don't hate the raybans, i only wear raybans, for years (i'm almost 40 so that's a long time) and then it became fashionable again, looking forward to the day when the raybans are done, yet again. live long enough you actually remember how fashion just cycles back.

pretty sick of herve leger. i was a teen when herve leger was popular. the prices were much friendlier hence i just cannot part with the $$ for the new ones today.

boho chic or not. all i can say is looking boho but being all uptight doesn't make sense.

Last edited by loves; 07-06-2010 at 11:39 PM.

08-06-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandiNichole View Post

I mean sure, she's super pretty, and has great music, and isn't a bad actress and by no means a bad dresser. But i'm starting to see soo many people looking like her;

-pale, extremely pale skin (i'm all for being natural, but trying to make your skin lighter and then saying people who tan are bad is just as fake).
-semi pin-up makeup

And they listen to the 500 Days Of Summer going around screaming how " GUYZ OHEMGEE LOOKIT HOW INDIE I IZ!!"

I completely agree on that one.. I stumbled upon this girl's blog the other day, liebe marliene or something and oh my, she's a walking tribute to Zooey.. not that Zooey 'invented' that style but it's just too obvious when you're following someone's style procedures by the book.. whatever happened to individuality.

and honestly, this whole idea of wanting to look like a porcelain doll is very 2005 and so corny by now.. especially when you look nothing like a doll.

08-06-2010
Confused & Bewildered

Quote:
Never heard of her. Went and did a search and looked at a few pictures. Still have no idea who she is, but I didn't see anything special, unique, stylish or trendy. Just looks like a young Courtney Cox.

08-06-2010
Looking Up

Quote:

-semi pin-up makeup

Oh. My. God. You should meet my friend. She fits EXACTLY all of the points you mentioned.
She has painfully pale skin (though I think that's mostly natural), wears blood red lipstick, has semi-long jet curly black hair (because she thinks straightened hair looks "tacky"), ONLY shops from second hand/op shops because "they have history" and wears those corny Ray Ban square glasses that apparently mean you look "vintage".
Oh and she'll only listen to underground pop (whatever that is) because "no one has heard of it".
And to think, I actually had a crush on this girl

Indie has become a trend! How paradoxical.

08-06-2010
V.I.P.

^ I know.. what's sad is that everything she does (and all the other clones) are actually pretty healthy things but the way they justify it.. the very fact that they feel like justifying it and doing it all as if it was requirement to be part of some sort of manifesto or superior clique is pretty much what kills it and makes it insincere and not very different than anything else.
I mean, there's nothing wrong with second-hand shopping.. the more places to find beautiful clothes, the better.. especially if they come in a fraction of the original price!. Same for music that unfortunately no one's heard of.. there are some great musicians that are just not radio-friendly, that will never get enough support and exposure because they're not singing 'oh yeah oh baby baby baby' and they're okay with it.. you really can't think anyone that's not listening to itunes hits is pretentious.. but it is sad that some people brag about it just for the sake of painting this cutting-edge image of themselves for everyone and disregard music that is mainstream when there are some great musicians that everyone loves and are actually good and then unknown ones that are just awful.
Regarding her physical appearance.. I don't think it is that bad to not want to look like everybody else.. to refuse to get tanned and bleach your hair.. problem comes when you don't want to look like yourself either and are just opting for another kind of 'costume' (the Zooey costume in this case).

08-06-2010
windowshopping

@MulletProof:
I completely agree! You can find great deals at second hand shops, and there is genius music out there that not alot of people have heard of. But some people are turning it into some sort of, i don't know, "thing". Instead of it being original, it seems contrived. So many people are trying to be this kind of "different" when they end up conforming into something else. Slap a lable on it, and we have ourselves a trend.

And i did check out the girl's blog, and i see what you mean .

Girl in floral dress walking in a pasture with a woven hat, it's been done so many times.

I'm just waiting for something new and exciting, that i like, to come forth. Either that or find it myself!

@Squizree: Hahaha it is quite the paradox xD So much for independence.

** byt the way, i've only seen a few of these girls around town or so. I mostly see them live and breed from fashion sites/blogs.

08-06-2010
scenester

1. These frumpy static cling sack dresses. Usually assymetrical/off shoulder etc, with random folds of fabric hanging from anywhere.
2. Stiletto stacks/clear heels. I remember back when only strippers and Shauna Sand were expected to where these
3. High waisted shorts they usually come in leather/satin/jean.
4. Wearing blatent pj's during the middle of the day while your running errands.
5. Ballerina flats
honorable mentions

oversized bags. I had a friend that lost her debit card inside one once, drove back to her house from another town, only to realize it was in the bag all along.
rompers
99 percent of Whitney Port's fashion choices

Last edited by InnocentSuccubus; 08-06-2010 at 06:33 PM.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, sick, trends