How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-11-2005
windowshopping

Urban Mommies: Style scene?
School drop off and pick-ups are great places to see and be seen. This is the scene I've seen:

Like the rest of humanity they can be sub-divided into two categories, the cool and the uncool...

The uncool drive tanks. Huge gas-guzzling Mom mobiles with a dog or two drooling all over the leather. Cool dads drive Porsches or Bimmers. Cool moms have Volvos and old Benz wagons that take diesel. The uber cool ride bikes.

Frumpiness pops up like a zit amongst the uncool. The symptons are uncool comfortable shoes as opposed to cool comfortable shoes- I'm sure you know exactly what I mean. Uncool moms cannot pull off Boho because cool moms are always a little Boho even when they are Goth or LL Bean, thrift shop or gay. Uncool moms in ethnic costume not of their own culture? This is a topic for endless debate.

The Milano-returned mom in Marni, the yoga goddess in black, the urban hipster in a jeans/dress combo, the gypsy, the broker in her suit and nude stockings, the stay-at-homes in running gear, the artists and musicans in old sweaters. Women who will do nothing more that day than work out and have lunch and women who will change the world by saying yes or no. Cool or what?

Teachers and other members of the school community always know where to sit in the cafeteria...the cool table or the not cool table. You know who you are!

02-11-2005
ingenue

here in the uk the term for this that I've been hearing is the "yummy mummy"...

02-11-2005
windowshopping

I disagree about the dogs. Some of the most stylish people in the world are dog owners and lovers.

this is funny, it is about non-stylish moms.

http://www.funnyhub.com/videos/page.cgi/mom-jeans/

funny video curtesy of that website and Saturday Night Live.

03-11-2005
windowshopping

Have you noticed the term "mom jeans" popping up?

Speaking as a jeans wearing mom, I wonder if mom jeans are 15 year old original Levis that are stringy and holey and have seen better days just like their owner or those horrible trousers made out of denim that have elastic waistbands. Wouldn't you buy bigger Levis and watch them turn you into an old cowboy? Wouldn't they be just as or even more forgiving than the elasticized denim sack with leg sleeves? Mom jeans...

The idea that such a thing should actually exist is a sign of our times. Moms don't want their undies or tummies showing because it would be embarrassing for the mom's main fashion critics and moms have more sense. I bet a lot of moms would rather wear normal jeans than have to choose between the dreaded low-rise or the equally dreaded high-rise elastic numbers. It is only in the West where this is even a concept.

windowshopping

^^^hmmm I'm not sure what you mean by this being a sign of our times

however funny that video was, toward the end they said something to the effect of "forget that you are a woman, you are a mom" I think that THAT is the problem with the poor style of alot of moms I see around.

You get so wrapped up in the "mom" stuff and the children and family that you forget to take care of yourself. When you are not taking care of yourself *style* is the first thing to go. imho.

For me, I find that it is easier to go about my day if I am dressed nicely and look nice. It just makes me feel put together and when I feel good I am a better mom. Do you know what I mean?

I see Moms all of the time dressed just like the mothers in that video and I know it's because they have gotten themselves in a horrible rut and don't know any other way to dress. It is sad.

I promised myself that that will never happen to me, hopefully

I have 3 kids under age 6 btw.

03-11-2005
windowshopping

The link didn't open for me but I'm inferring that there were shots of moms in sweatshirts and messy hair etc. I guess that is a style niche maybe under the general umbrella of Slob Style.

By a sign of our times I've noticed that the amount of choice that we have is at once enormous and at the same time quite small. Only the bourgeoisie have the luxury of a choice at all. You can buy broken-in Levis at the Salvation Army for $5.99 and be a hipster or homeless or you can spend many euros/dollars/yen for broken-in "IT" jeans and be a victim or a fashion icon celebrity on her way to Starbucks in Brentwood.

In America it seems that once you have tied the knot and reproduced it is culturally acceptable to be a slob except for special occasions because being sexy or attractive is just for the young and unattached as represented by the commercial forces that drive fashion.

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico925
The link didn't open for me but I'm inferring that there were shots of moms in sweatshirts and messy hair etc. I guess that is a style niche maybe under the general umbrella of Slob Style.

By a sign of our times I've noticed that the amount of choice that we have is at once enormous and at the same time quite small. Only the bourgeoisie have the luxury of a choice at all. You can buy broken-in Levis at the Salvation Army for $5.99 and be a hipster or homeless or you can spend many euros/dollars/yen for broken-in "IT" jeans and be a victim or a fashion icon celebrity on her way to Starbucks in Brentwood.

In America it seems that once you have tied the knot and reproduced it is culturally acceptable to be a slob except for special occasions because being sexy or attractive is just for the young and unattached as represented by the commercial forces that drive fashion.

OH WOW I so agree!!! That is kind of what I was saying but you said it better. Being a mom (like I said I have 3 small children) is NO EXCUSE for looking like a matronly slob!

Try this link, it worked for me
http://www.devilducky.com/media/30138/

03-11-2005
windowshopping

No excuses! Down with frump!

Here's a question to ponder:
Would you feel better as a incipient crone/Sicilian widow/old Boho or as a hopeless victim on a sisyphean quest for the Fountain of Youth via Botox, tight jeans, orange tan and ridiculous foot gear?

While we are on the topic of urban mommies allow me a little dishing of Madonna.What about Madonna's seventies do? Feathery wings!? Disco!? I don't know about you, but I thought the kabbalah incarnation was at least a little more flattering.

windowshopping

^^^ ha, well given those choices I guess I would have to go with the Sicilian widow. At least she is who she is.

Oh Madonna is so fakey fakey I cannot stand her. Every few years she reinvents herself just to stay "fresh". Her fake British accent is enough to make one barf. I actually read an interview with her where she was quoted as saying "when she is home she likes to 'muck about in her wellies'" wtf?

muck about in her wellies she's from freakin' Detroit!!

as for the tanned botoxed mom, I don't look forward to growing old but I hope I can do it gracefully.

03-11-2005
windowshopping

Mucking about in her wellies! gmafb
She's morphing into Camilla with the hairdo. Next thing you know it will be corgies and a cardy! She's the disco Camilla!

The Sicilian widow does know who she is and that's why it is a palatable option. And she can buy probably get her gear reliably from the same little shop in Palermo that has served generations of S.W.'s.
Read the NYTimes today about GAP's solution to the mommy costuming crisis and weep at the new division's acronym!

windowshopping

Hi Mexico!

I was thinking, are you a mom?

If not or even so we should post fashionable mom wear?

I have a couple of Alexander Mcqueen and Missoni pieces that I posted about in the casual wear thread that I would put here.

what do you think is "stylish mom pick-up kids lookin' fashionable non- frumpy" wear?

04-11-2005
front row

Forget stylish or frumpy…scary is the day when you realize that you are slowly turning into your mother

Anyway, funny thread but am I the only mom who does not really get the point of this topic
(I could get this for maternity wear or new-moms...but urban mom style?! lol...not really a category in my world)

04-11-2005
windowshopping

M.L.!
Definitely post Styling Mommies! I will also attempt to illustrate our little deviant thread.That is, when I have a minute, which of course in rare due to the fact that I do not have a nanny for the progeny and work more than I work out-that is essentially what makes a mom a mom and separates her out from the non-moms. Lack of time, personal assistant and on-call yoga master! N'est-ce pas? Something below for those who about to enter the Realm of Momdom:

What not to wear when you're in the last trimester:
stiletto heels
sweatshirts
bows
pony tails
biker shorts
jodphurs
smocked tube tops
any outfit inspired by Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby

illustrator

so happy that i found this site. i only discovered it about 4 days ago, if that. felt very lonely amid a lot of frumpy moms. now i have a place to really marinate myself in fashion.
i think one factor is also that there are a lot of people out there who don't have style, don't care about their appearance, and when they have kids, that doesn't change.
it was really hard for me in the beginning to retain my style because i was so tired, and it's very messy, initially, being a mom. but i'm starting to come back - yohji jeans, isabel marant tops. why on earth not. let me tell you, it makes all the difference in the world for my day, how i express/dress myself.

04-11-2005
illustrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico925
M.L.!
Definitely post Styling Mommies! I will also attempt to illustrate our little deviant thread.That is, when I have a minute, which of course in rare due to the fact that I do not have a nanny for the progeny and work more than I work out-that is essentially what makes a mom a mom and separates her out from the non-moms. Lack of time, personal assistant and on-call yoga master! N'est-ce pas? Something below for those who about to enter the Realm of Momdom:

What not to wear when you're in the last trimester:
stiletto heels
sweatshirts
bows
pony tails
biker shorts
jodphurs
smocked tube tops
any outfit inspired by Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby
i agree with all of it except for the ponytail. hair accessories are sometimes all you have. a bigger mistake than a ponytail would be a haircut. getting a haircut when you have your new, larger dimensions is a ba-a--aad idea.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
mommies, scene, style, urban