How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-03-2012
I don't know

The Velvet Skirt
I fell head over heels in love for the velvet maxi skirt Gucci opened with.. Also LOVE the Balmain maxi as well

There has been a ton of velvet all over the runway. But the skirts in particular are so great, especially the pencil ones. It's a nice change to the leather skirt we've been seeing so much of lately..

Here are some runway examples.. starting of with my fave

Gucci

Balmain

Not doing the fitted skirt is Thomas Tait.. I'm not a very big fan of this though

style.com

Last edited by saann; 02-03-2012 at 07:45 PM.

02-03-2012
I don't know

continued.. style.com

Versace

Burberry Prorsum

04-03-2012
trendsetter

I love velvet skirts, I've had three favorites so far in my life:

-used to have a full maxi skirt in sumptuous thick gray velvet, which was sooo beautiful ...got stopped on the street many times...
-and a high-waisted long fitted black velvet pencil skirt too...which was also beautiful...very much like the third Gucci but longer
-now I have an asymmetrical Vivienne Westwood buttressed black velvet skirt...but it's gotten a bit small...or rather I've gotten a bit big...

...it's really nice item for winter, to look elegant while staying warm. The Prorsum styling is good, dressing velvet down.

...I secretly wish velvet pants for guys would be more popular ...it would make the world more fun and funky

06-03-2012
V.I.P.

I love velvet skirts (and velvet in general) but they're so hard to pull off. I have a floor length one with a slit up to the thighs and it's the most unflattering item of clothes I've ever owned. I think you need to have very narrow hips and long legs to make this look nice.

Most of the ones you posted are high waisted, though. I wonder if that makes a difference? I really love the color of the one at Balmain

10-03-2012
I don't know

^The color at Balmain is truly stunning

I think the reason why you feel like one might need narrow hips is because it's a busy material that has a particular shine to it that in photographs, or certain lights, can make you look wider than you are.

Melisande - your collection sound amazing! Lucky you, I haven't found a single skirt that I've liked/looked good in.. And btw, regarding the velvet pants, it's growing quite popular (with women's collections this season as well).. I think we even have a thread on it

ETA: Here is the link: The Velvet Suit Mens F/W 12.13

Last edited by saann; 10-03-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
skirt, velvet