Von Dutch - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
11-12-2003
Naturellement pulpeuse

You might like the design of that t-shirt (you might not...) but you sure as hell wouldn't wear it unless you wanted to offend an awful lot of people. Clothes have connotations. Von Dutch has a connotation + it looks a bit silly some of it...

*edited because off topic

etre soi-meme

what was this link for prince? is this a Von Dutch? i dont get the connection and yes, VERY offensive to me

11-12-2003
Naturellement pulpeuse

People earlier were saying that you should wear what you like and not be bothered by the image that the clothing portrays. I was saying that image is very important and that I wouldn't wear Von Dutch because I don't like its image (or its designs) and I wouldn't wear that Vivienne Westwood T-shirt because I find its image to be highly offensive.

tfs star

Quote:
Originally posted by leyla m.@Dec 11th, 2003 - 7:23 am
except for the cap i wouldnt wear the rest.
I'm with you on that Leyla!!

V.I.P.

vond utch is trahsya nd i think epopel with alot of money with knwo taste by it becuas of that, filling the money but no taste void. But what it hink si rediculous is people whoa re not welthy and not even intrested in fashion buying tehre $50 caps and logo mania t shirts and jeans.

12-12-2003
front row

Question...Does black+ designer clothes some how = or equate to ghetto ?
Does black+ rich+ and designer clothes= somehow equal ghetto fabulous?
I feel as though if one thing was so out of season it is the over usage of that word!! and also the word bling bling....

12-12-2003
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Barbie@Dec 12th, 2003 - 1:55 pm
I feel as though if one thing was so out of season it is the over usage of that word!! and also the word bling bling....
it has been noted by several that ghetto has become a code word for "black" among non-blacks. referring to something as "ghetto" is a way for people to say it's black (and therefore inferior)...so i know exactly what you are saying. i think it's really ashame that a lot of people still have such strong reactions to rap culture when, on the whole, the music is mainstream. you or i may not listen to it, but it's not really how it was when rap was started, yet a lot of people reject it like it is.

but back to von dutch: it's amazing that when ashton kutcher wore it was okay although he's one of the biggest cornfed hicks in hollywood. no one called it trashy. but as soon as a rapper puts it on, it's ghetto, it's trash.

i say, who cares. wear what you like.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeijames+Dec 12th, 2003 - 2:24 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikeijames @ Dec 12th, 2003 - 2:24 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Barbie@Dec 12th, 2003 - 1:55 pm
it has been noted by several that ghetto has become a code word for "black" among non-blacks. referring to something as "ghetto" is a way for people to say it's black (and therefore inferior)...so i know exactly what you are saying. i think it's really ashame that a lot of people still have such strong reactions to rap culture when, on the whole, the music is mainstream. you or i may not listen to it, but it's not really how it was when rap was started, yet a lot of people reject it like it is.

but back to von dutch: it's amazing that when ashton kutcher wore it was okay although he's one of the biggest cornfed hicks in hollywood. no one called it trashy. but as soon as a rapper puts it on, it's ghetto, it's trash.

i say, who cares. wear what you like. [/b][/quote]
i couldn't agree more! i don't care what people think but i do know what you mean about the word ghetto. i also think the words ghetto/bling are overdone!

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeijames+Dec 12th, 2003 - 12:24 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikeijames @ Dec 12th, 2003 - 12:24 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Barbie@Dec 12th, 2003 - 1:55 pm

i say, who cares. wear what you like. [/b][/quote]
I totaly disagree, ghetto is a style, it can eb worn my whiets, balck, maxicans whatever.

to me gehtto fabulous is just people mixing a lot of flashy logos and jewlery with their urband/ghetto style.

rising star

Like, why would anyone want to wear it??? I saw that girl on "Rich Girls" with the trucker hat...was not flattering at all. Very ghetto-not-fabulous...

18-12-2003
trendsetter

People pleeze!

MikeJames i agree with your statement wholy.

I can't stand the word Ghetto Fabulous or Bling,Bling, As a black/mix woman i would totally offended if someone even spoke to me about that word, not only is it COMMON and describes a grade of people. I do think that when "Ghetto Fabulous" is mentioned the words - rough-neck springs to mind, and im sure im not the only one that think like this. I agree that for some reason, designers/stylists (with their own alterior motive) do use rappers to advertise and make more famous their logos and labels, whilst not being a big rap fan at all, i can see the appeal.

Oria you and I are so ON THE SAME WAVELENGTH!

As for Von Dutch clothing , as Simon Cowell from Pop Idol would say " So what, nothing special, no biggie"

19-12-2003
backstage pass

Gucci girl I totally disagree w/ you... and space miu i totally agree with you... You act like just because someone uses the word ghetto that they are being doragatory towards black people or rap culture, which is so not true in my case.. and by the way white people can be ghetto also.

19-12-2003
& R.V.R

Quote:
Originally posted by Christopher31@Dec 19th, 2003 - 5:07 pm
white people can be ghetto also.
Totally agree, even though I don't follow that style

I have this black Von Dutch tee with red lettering that I got as a gift, and I totally turned it around by adding red beading on the lettering, and almost covering the whole tee with black beading and sequins ...A lot of people, who doesn't look like the kind of people who would wear V.D. is asking me where did I got that tee, so, what I mean about this is, that all the fuzz about V.D. and looking trashy is built by the people who wears it. Practically here, I covered the whole topic's idea

Please people, don't start a fire about this, advertising like this is all that V.D. wants rder:

V.I.P.

Its becoming very mainstreem. Being sold at Gadzooks. For all the Paris Hilton/Alli Hilfiger wanna-bes! Woo!

22-12-2003
backstage pass

just becuase a rap star wears a certain brand doensnt make it ghetto. its all how you wear it. sure i've seen jay z sportin lacoste polos, but he wears em all huge, and i chose to wear mine more fitted. missy wears adidas track jackets but she wears em with the bling blingin jewelry and matching pants and other people wear the same jacket with jeans and no jewelry. its all in how you wear it.

for all you people that have gone out and bought von dutch, you have all succumbed to a trend that i think is gonna go out within the next 2 years. i have a classic logo von dutch tshirt and regular von dutch cap -- and how much did i pay for each? 20 bucks for the hat and 24 for the tshirt. this was 3 years ago before von dutch was all trendy so all you folks out there that buy the 42 caps and tshirts and even the 85 caps you all are getting scammed big time haha. von dutch knows how much you want them and jacked the prices up way high

plus those women's jeans that were pictured earlier -- they are copies. copies of Diesel's Hush Jean. i mean if your gonna charge that much for a pair of jeans at least use your own design. i mean the diesel hush has been around for at least 2 years.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
dutch, von