How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-08-2007
V.I.P.

being only 5"1 i love wedges they give me height and enlongate my little legs I dont know about were other people live but wedges have been a must have for the last two years say now .. nto sure if they will have much sticking power throgh yet an other season ??

21-08-2007
flaunt the imperfection

fyi- just saw a pic of kate moss wearing wide leg jeans with the patent chloe wedges

21-08-2007
tfs star

cute! that's the look i was going for last year with the grey ones, but they are way chunkier than the patent ones with wide leg pants. wedge boots sound good too... but don't have any pics offhand.

22-08-2007
tfs star

The wedge pumps in Post #11 look very nice. Those are very classy and very cute shoes. Though I say they are classy, I wouldn't be surprised if a lady paired these with bootcut jeans or (dare I say...) skinny jeans. Something I notice about some wedges is that the actual wedge base isn't completely flat. I zoomed the pictures of the wedges in Post #11 and noticed a little heel. They aren't completely flat at the bottom. The design of the wedge sort of mimics a little heel, but not too much in the sense of a traditionally-heeled shoe.

I asked someone on these boards about the difference between wedges and high-heeled shoes. This one lady told me that wedges are actually more comfortable to walk around in. I'm not a lady, so I can't tell the difference between heeled shoes and wedges. I think when I was much younger, I actually played around with some of my Mom's clothing. Wore one of her jumpers and all. I even wore a pair of her boots on my feet. I believe they were high-heeled boots. This was back in maybe the early 1990s when I was probably 10 or so. Still, can't say from experience about wedges and high-heeled shoes.

Wedges and platforms are great shoes for those who want to show out with these shoes. I've seen wedges as more comfortable high-heeled shoes while platforms add a few inches to your height. I've seen simple platforms... then some extreme platforms. Some who want the best of both worlds can wear platform shoes with a wedge heel. Only one I really know wear platforms a bit is this friendly Korean lady who works at this Schlotzsky's restaurant across the street from my community college. I didn't know her sandals were Volatile sandals until I sat at the same table with her as I got to glance at sandals. You know what brand it is when you see a capital "V" with flamems- it's Volatile. She sometimes wear some other high-heeled and platformed shoes at times. Helps her see better ahead of the cash register. Only real non-platforms she wears are usually these laced boots when she wears stirrup pants (or leggings?). The most popular of platform wedge shoes are some of the boots most modern go-go dancers like Helen Su, Sasha Singleton, Thuy Li, and Teemarie wear. All plaformed and have that patchwork look to them. Sorry to mention nightclub dancers in a fashion forum, but those are the ones I usually see a lot of in pictures. They'd be completely pointless (and dangerous) to go around town in if worn with regular clothes. But if you're doing some go-go dancing, they're the hottest stuff now.

Anyhow, have any favorite wedges? platforms? platform wedges?

22-08-2007
front row

I'm not gonna lie, I kind of enjoyed reading your little story about the Korean lady haha. My sister came home the other day in those kind of platform shoes. Although she wore them with a tunic and cut off tights...I don't think they looked very nice at all with the tights. Maybe it's the fact that tights weren't really made for her but I just didn't like the look at all.

I tried them on but I couldn't really develop an opinion on their comfort because they were too big for me.

24-08-2007
tfs star

She's really a friendly and hard-working person. Rings up the cash register, prepare sandwiches (that's what Schlotzsky's does), cleans up around the restaurant... she's a wonderful lady. My favorite of-the-moment shoes I've seen on ladies were those canvas peep-toe wedges with the straw bottoms. I have to imagine peep-toes are big nowadays. Just imagine wedge-heeled shoes with a little platform to them. They'd have to make your feet look amazing.

My all-time favorite women's shoe is the mary jane. And as of late, designers are coming up with all sorts of ways to dress up and fancy up the mary jane... even towards making wedges in the mary jane design. I had to get a new pair of glasses over this past weekend, and I noticed a lady wearing some mary jane-style wedges. They looked cute on her. I'm trying not to come up with a joke regarding getting a new pair of glasses and noticing how cute a girl's shoes look. Oh, what the heck... I could see her cute wedges with my new pair of glasses. If I couldn't see anything else, I got to see a cute girl in cute shoes! Alright, happy now?

Anyone else want to jazz up this thread?

25-08-2007
backstage pass

the very first pair of shoes in this thread remind me of rocking horse shoes. toned down, main-streamified (haha) rocking horse shoes.

27-08-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M. View Post
Anyhow, have any favorite wedges? platforms? platform wedges?

(Via Spiga, zappos.com)
These are the only high-anythings that I wear regularly. It has a hidden ~1inch platform and comes to about 4 inch lift or whatever, the heel/wedge is wooden.... they make me a bit over 6'1 so i don't wear these coz i'm short. I prefer wedges over heels, definitely because they are much easier to walk in and more comfortable. I like platform heels for whatever reason, but I especially like the hidden platform b/c they're much more subtle.

Anyway, these are awesome because they go with most of my jeans (which is what I wear most of the time)--especially skinnies and they look great with skirts due to the strap and buckle. :]

If I had the money I would definitely go for Balenciagaf06 booties and kneehigh platform wedge boots.

29-08-2007
a hymn to darkness

^ Those are cute, though I'd probably color in the wht. stitching with a navy or purple-ish marker.

29-08-2007
tfs star

i realize (perhaps sadly) that the olson twins seem to be the main proponents of platform wedges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment-1.jpg (224.1 KB, 30 views)

29-08-2007
trendsetter

TBH I don't really think this is much of a trend this season, but that's just my opinion.
I do love wedges though and they are so comfortable! Of course they still exist in new collections but I just don't think it's really as big as it was last year. I think thick-heeled pumps, toe platforms, and cone heels are more this season but whatever. I'll still be wearing wedges sometimes too.

I just got the banana republic snake platform pump today. Very comfortable and smart looking on. I recommend them!

bananarepublic.com
plus I like how the heel is stacked. I hate covered heels because the leather gets shredded from crazy nights out.

Also I have a pair of knocked off chloe maryjane blk leather wedges that tie instead
of buckle. They are jessica Simpson. Shhhhh! But they're cute and comfy and I love them. (And can't afford Chloe) From last year but probably time to bring them out soon...

tfs star

still waiting to rock my patent wedges, next weekend maybe...

07-03-2008
tfs star

I have been looking for the perfect platform booties for spring (at it still snows here in Finland). It seems they were all fall stuff and can not be found anywhere. I still see this trend a lot on streetstyle sites and would love to have a pair. All of them just seem to be so pricy and normal shoe stores do not carry them here..

Here are some of my favourites:

Miu Miu

Pedro Carcia

Louboutins

Brian Atwood

all from net-a-porter.com

If anyone knows where to get similar but cheap, please let me know!

08-03-2008
tfs star

I would imagine that platforms and wedges would be popular for Spring. This Spring is no different. The kinds of casual wedges I like are those Dilemma shoes by American Eagle. They are classified as sneakers, but they are very cute slip-on, sneaker-like shoes. I think that sneakers like these (and others similar in design) are really the "it" casual shoes for girls. Here are examples of similar wedges like these that I've loved seeing women wear:

* http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/amer...-sneaker-wedge - "Dilemma" by American Eagle
* http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/amer...-sneaker-wedge - "Comeback" by American Eagle
* http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/amer...-sneaker-wedge - "Rikki" by American Eagle
* http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010NP7TK/...K&linkCode=asn - "NOTW" (Not of This World)

I also anticipate wedge sandals to be hot among ladies this Spring. I classify sandals as any footwear with visible toes and not fully-covered all the way around. I like platforms, but I don't see too many platforms. Perhaps platforms are maybe 1-inch high. I'd want to see who would dare wear 2-inch high platforms with about two or more inches at the heel (think about platforms that have at least an extra inch of heel at the heels). I think wedges, platforms, and platform wedges will be hot this Spring for those who dare wear them. What about the rest of you?

scenester

The Corsican - Steven by Steve Madden
-I've had great luck with the Steven line, they're surprisingly very well made and reasonably priced.
These have a 4 inch heel and 1.5 inch platform, which should provide for a non-excruciatingly painful boost for 5'1" mini me!
The site says they're starting to ship these in late May - meaning fun for summer shorts and then paired with over-the-knee socks in fall? So cute!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
07 or 08, fall, platform, shoes, wedges