How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Trend Spotting
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-08-2009
windowshopping

wgsn.com
I have recently head about this site and I would like a review about it, if any one of you is using it's services.

30-08-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by morganna View Post
I have recently head about this site and I would like a review about it, if any one of you is using it's services.
IT's a trend analyse website with tons of resourceful information....
They will preview the trend with a lots of research and information, like inspiration, details, silhouttes, colours, style etc.
The will update latest news in the fashion industry daily, snapshot form shops or street. And report and photos of the lastest fashion show, or students work which show the new talents....besides fashion, the have accessoires or graphics.......etc, It's a amazing website, but extremely espensive, I use to work in acompany which have wgsn, they told me it cost 10000 euros per year for an account

windowshopping

Is it as good or someone should prefer a other one like trendstop.com? Because form what I have seen so far the second one is much cheaper!

Last edited by saann; 30-08-2009 at 12:25 PM. Reason: clickable link
30-08-2009
front row

Its fantastic for students. You can get in for free on the wgsn.edu but i think they might be shutting it off???

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson C.C View Post
Its fantastic for students. You can get in for free on the wgsn.edu but i think they might be shutting it off???
say it ain't so.

30-08-2009
earthbound

I mostly visit wgsn-edu.com for their trend analyses. Other than what Mathewthew has already mentioned, they also showcase trends not only on designer collections but also in magazines, ie: Kate Moss appearing in 10 different covers in the same month (this is invented), the Twilight series influence on fashion, etc.

They also have a vast repertoire of designers collections (ready-to-wear and couture) dating back from the late eighties.

31-08-2009
windowshopping

I visit wgsn-edu.As it says on the site here are 6 hours and 17 minutes left before closing.

Is it available just for a small period of time every time, or they closing for good?

If you are using it for a while please comfit!

31-08-2009
windowshopping

PSFK has an interesting post on this a while ago. They're a competitor - so probably not completely unbiased, but the comments are interesting. Most of the criticism seems to be on if the dominance of WGSN is bad for creativity, but there's some wondering if it's worth the price (about $20,000 per year for 5 desktop licenses)

http://www.psfk.com/2007/09/is-wgsn-...reativity.html

31-08-2009
windowshopping

It is a really interesting article. Thanks for posting it!

But what about the competition, the other sites providing the same details?

31-08-2009
rising star

I've just checked it, and it says its closing. Oh well.

01-09-2009
V.I.P.

yep closed now..

Quote:
By now you should have received a communication telling you that the time-delayed version of EDU has closed down, effective 1 September 2009.
If you are a staff member and would like to know more about how you can get access to the full version of WGSN for your students, please fill out the form below.
If you are a student and you are unsure if your school or college has subscribed to WGSN.com, then please contact the head of your faculty for more information.
thank you for the article signature9 !
i agree in a way
i have been in some designer studios and they seem so pressed for time. one revealed to me so openly, they don't spend much time designing. probably zero. once one collection's finished producing you have your next one or you do them simultaneously. or you have other lines.

research ... for design or for market purposes, takes a lot of discipline
i have met quite a few students in fashion design who aren't very keen on it even or not really developed enough to even know how, it's disturbing. there is so much copying and not enough independent thinking. i don't know why these people bother applying for a design course.

01-09-2009
windowshopping

Also we must consider that we are talking about business and money. An international brand has no room for experiments. They want a collection that will have a good sale out no matter what. So it is easier ti go with the flow.

01-09-2009
V.I.P.

that's interesting ^ because in the Marc Jacobs documentary they had quite a lot of tests and experiments.. for materials/fabrics (of course they have their downs too, a few times exposed for plagiarism) or it's what i was led to believe. there were so many assistants working

01-09-2009
scenester

i read some article about wgsn.com and other trend analyzing website from magazine around March-April.
i think conclusion was you don't need a trend analyzer to plan out your design for next season or so and i so agree. wgsn.com is for commercialized label just like morganna mensioned.

01-09-2009
backstage pass

It's a wonderful website for research and looking for the information, sometimes they have some really interesting article. And the edu is a almost one to two seasons behind and limit access for some work. But still it's really resourceful website. Our teacher used to print out the lastest informtion for us, since they have the most update information form wgsn

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
wgsncom